Figure Skating Success

Figure Skating Success

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 12, 2019 6:01 pm

I do have some good news for a change.  I went to my skating lesson today and had a great time.  I can still skate!  I was so happy out on the ice.  I was like a "newbie" but my feet knew what to do after all these years.  At least I can still skate at 64 years of age.  I guess, things are not so bad.

Re: Figure Skating Success

Posted by ChristineH on Jan 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Congratulations scaredysquirrel‍!!! As an ex-skater, ex-coach, and ex-judge, I have an idea how you must feel, lol! I hung up my skates in my late 30s. Fifteen years later, I wonder what if... My mom is still skating at 73!

Congrats again!!!
Christine “Never a horse, always a zebra”

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Wow ChristineH‍ what a skating resume you have!  I always dreamed of being a coach or even a judge.  My brother was an ice dancer.  I have tried returning to skating many times over the years and it's always brought me happiness when I do.  I should know any trip to an ice rink will bring a smile to my face.  I am pretty rusty but feel like a teenager out there.  Thank goodness I was with a group of beginners so I didn't embarrass myself too badly.  I am no Karen Magnussen for sure but hey, I can still do a spin or two.  I hope to keep skating.  That's encouraging to hear your mom is still skating at 73, gives me hope I can keep going.  It's never too late!

Posted by ChristineH on Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am

scaredysquirrel‍, I was no Karen Magnusen either, lol! I just had persistent parents laugh

I switched to synchronized skating in my late-teens and very much enjoyed it. Later on, i coached adult teams. I hear they’re ever expanding the age groups. My mom skated on a very competitive one until her mid-fifties. But they now have begginers levels all the way up to our age. You should check it out as a next step!

Christine “Never a horse, always a zebra”

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

OH MY GAWD, THAT IS SO AWESOME! I am just thrilled that you have done something that sparks joy!

You could totally be a coach — I can totally see you with 7 and 8 year olds, on the ice, helping them do their first spins! And, doing the coach’s synchro routine at the end-of-year skating show! 

GO, scaredysquirrel‍ , GO!

Posted by NannaM on Jan 13, 2019 11:58 am

So so good to have a positive hopeful message from you scaredy!! Keep on doing stuff that makes your heart SING!!!!
You GO GIRL, YOU ROCK!!!
NannaM

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 15, 2019 10:38 am

scaredysquirrel‍, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself...I think it's  a matter of finding things that we are interested in and pursuing those activities...