Since you first herad CANCER... how have you changed.

Since you first herad CANCER... how have you changed.

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Jan 9, 2019 6:22 pm

I would love to hear how you have changed after Cancer, good or not so good. Any advice or words of wisdom you want to share.

Re: Since you first herad CANCER... how have you changed.

Posted by LPPK on Jan 10, 2019 7:38 am

mycrazyjourney‍ I found my life attitude has definitely changed.  No longer do I just blandly go about my life. I find that I am much more of an advocate of my health.  I am much more body aware; eating healthier, getting enough exercise, listening to my body, being the CEO of my survivorship plan and making sure that appointments are/testing is done as per the schedule outlined, taking time to appreciate the joys in life.
Never putting off for tomorrow what I can do today has become something I live by.  I listen to my "wouldn't it be nice if ' thoughts and act on them if at all possible (take trips, try new foods/activities).
On the negative side of cancer I do tend to wonder what will happen next, first melanoma, then breast cancer, then ?
On the positive side of cancer it has given me the chance to look life in the eye and work at making my life the most enjoyable it can be.

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

LPPK, thankyou for your great outlook on life after cancer. I hope I can use your advice and “never put off tomorrow what I can do today” so far I have a great attitude and try not to worry about what I cannot control. Next step is to get active, uhhhh.... join the gym or walk for 1 hour every morning. 

Posted by Goodtogo on Jan 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi All Great thread!! At first I felt that my core self has stayed the same. But upon further thought & reflection , I have made many little changes. My core self has always stopped to smell the roses, loved nature, meditated and been charitable. But since my encounter with cancer I have improved several areas. I have essentially given up sugar. I do not eat processed foods. My diet is pretty much whole foods & organic proteins. I have all but stopped alcohol consumption and have switched to more Mediterranean meal practices... more fish in my diet, using olive oil etc. My exercise is a lot more consistent as well. On a personal level, I have fallen deeper in love with my husband as he has shown his true blue devotion to me during this awful time in our lives. I really do not want to say this.... but Cancer has given me more than it has taken.... does not seem like a sensible statement I know, but, more & more I am seeing those Silver Linings. Take care.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 1, 2019 8:20 pm

My life has drastically changed since first hearing the word CANCER.  My husband says he does not know who I am anymore and I sometimes don't know me either.  I do know that during my treatment phase I made some life changing decisions that I now regret.  I was convinced during my treatments that I could not return to my job of 20 years since it involved some heavy lifting of books and stationery items.  My Oncologist did tell me at one point that I would be okay to safely do my job, unfortunately I forged ahead with the retirement paper work and even though I had considered returning to my job last September, I made a rash decision one night and now I realize it was the wrong decision.  I could have easily returned to my job and I would have been fine.  My coworker and my husband tried to encourage me to return, but for some strange reason my mind was focused on retiring.  I was still feeling some of the fatigue and was somewhat depressed after the radiation, but I'm sure once I got back to my familiar digs at work it would have gone smoothly.  I was out visiting there today and felt so "at home" I didn't want to leave.  Of course, it was a feeling of relief once the treatments ended to know my cancer was clear but I needed help in coping with returning to work and did not receive much support.  I wish someone would have really reached out to me with more support in this area.  It's too late now to turn the clock back, but I wish there was a way.  

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 2, 2019 4:46 am

my changes are similar to  LPPK‍'s but I must confess that I ate two pieces of cake, yesterday, and this is something I rarely do...
in contrast to other people, I don't make a point to get the cancer follow-up exams because my oncologist upsets me and insists that I see her if I want to change oncologists  and that could further upset me...facing her after she refused to return my phone call is a disturbed feeling...
there is no recourse at the cancer agency...nobody else to go to about my problems with my oncologist...I have to face my oncologist head on...I think that there should be more options available...

Posted by Joanniem on Feb 2, 2019 7:17 am

Definitely changed. My priorities have changed. Family much more to the front now and much closer to my four girls. I have realized that I raised four great girls, all of whom have moved far away, but have been there for me every step of the way. Some things have settled in my mind because I was debating a few things in my life and now they are clear. For example, I didn't know if I was ready for retirement or not. Now I know I am not. I wish to continue working a couple of days a week. So I am counting the weeks of my chemo so I can back to my life. Also, I feel a kinder approach to life and people in it. Live and let live a motto to live by.

Posted by cancertakesflight on Feb 6, 2019 11:51 pm

mycrazyjourney‍ Cancer truly is a wild ride and a learning experience on so many fronts. Not only are you learning a lot of medical information, but you are learning a lot about yourself.

Your post is timely. It so happens that I just sent out a link to one of my 2017 blog posts called, "Before I Had Cancer". It definitely summarizes what I learned. Based on the feedback I received, it also range true with a lot of other breast cancer patients/survivors.

My biggest change is that I tell myself not to fear doing anything new because I have already dealt with cancer. 

cancertakesflight (Debbie)