Volunteer Optortunity

Volunteer Optortunity

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Nov 21, 2018 1:16 am

I have a chance to volunteer at the RCH (Royal Columbian Hospital) only problem is I'm still on these horrible antidepressants.  

Wish I had just gone back to work

Re: Volunteer Optortunity

Posted by Brighty on Nov 21, 2018 7:05 am

scaredysquirrel‍  that I'd great!!! Go for it!!!! Once your body is a accistomed to the anti depressants you will be ok with less side effects.  Don't let the pills stop you from doing anything!!!  If you feel after a while the pills aRe  having too many negative side effects ts you might have to switch  to another one.   I think I went through  3 or 4 different ones before I found d the righr one for me.  

Posted by LPPK on Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Fantastic Minus2‍  This reminds me of the book that was read at the library Off the Shelf group....What Do You Do With a Chance

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Nov 22, 2018 8:26 am

I’m sorry, but I cannot make the connection between being on antidepressants and taking on a volunteer opportunity.

If everyone in North American who is on antidepressants stopped doing their jobs, their volunteer work, and raising their children, I rather think North America’s day-to-day functioning would come to a screeching halt.

scaredysquirrel‍ , as @LPPK points out, you’ve been given a chance. That chance might even be that once you do some volunteering, and find the positive side effects of doing volunteer work, you might not have a need for the antidepressants. 

You won’t know if you don’t try.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Nov 27, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm going to an orientation on Dec 1st

Posted by hkjudy on Dec 18, 2018 12:41 pm

This opportunity is great for you!  I suspect that once you begin interacting with others who are undergoing challenges greater than yours, you will feel stronger and empowered to look at the positive side of life.   Go for it!
Judy (Nanoose Bay, BC)

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Dec 23, 2018 3:01 am

Cynthia Mac, it's not related, but the pills I was on stopped me from doing anything because the side effects were horrible.  Lights were brighter, sounds were louder and I was feeling suicidal.  The most depressing part is that I missed a golden opportunity to work close to home in my same job I had before.  I was so spaced out from the meds, I couldn't accept the job and had to decline.  I'm on a new one but I'm not very good at taking it and getting to bed early.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 8, 2019 6:43 pm

Oh my goodness, Optottunity?  Opportunity.  My typing these days is not very good.  Anyway, I started my training for my volunteer job.  I'm trying to be positive about this and be grateful.  It's not what I really want, but it's somewhere to go a couple of days a week.  I am still pretty disappointed in myself for not going back to my old job at KPU bookstore.  I miss my job and the folks I worked with.  I also feel terrible for letting the manager down.  There is something wrong with my thinking.  I just couldn't get myself going after my radiation treatments.  Maybe the radiation took too much out of me.  I don't know.  I will always feel rather shameful for not going ahead with my return to my old job.  It's more than I can bear.  Thinking about it today.

Posted by Brighty on Jan 8, 2019 6:57 pm

scaredysquirrel‍  Way to go!!!!!!!!!!   I hope your volenteering  will help you feel better about things.    No more feeling shameful.   I feel shameful for taking vinnie to the vet for SNEEZING!!!!!     Yes I did that!  $67 in the vet's pocket to tell me he sneezed.    Any ways I'm being silly now but point is we all have stuff we regret but we have  to let it go and give ourselves a break .   We can't take back what we did.     So moving forward now is all we can do.   

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 9, 2019 7:19 am

scaredysquirrel‍, have you heard of the expression:   don't cry over spilt milk...
I am looking forward to hearing about your new volunteer job...I am sure that going out a couple times a week to volunteer will lift your spirits...I volunteered in a hospital gift shop for a couple of years and enjoyed it...

Posted by hkjudy on Jan 9, 2019 7:16 pm

YAAAY, scaredysquirrel‍ !  So glad to hear that you have started moving on!    Forget the "spilt milk" (as princessmaura‍ says) and don't look back - look forward smiley  Concentrate on helping those in the hospital who are going through a tough time (whether a patient in their bed or a visitor in the shop).....you've been there and you can now say "it's over and I can now help someone who is worse off than me"!   
Judy (Nanoose Bay, BC)

Posted by LPPK on Jan 9, 2019 10:19 pm

Great news scaredysquirrel‍  Something mew to sink your teeth into. 
Enjoy.

Posted by prairiemom on Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm

that's awesome, scaredy! What are you going to be doing at the hospital? 

I volunteered for a little while at the hospital I had all my surgeries at - I wasn't sure if I was ready to volunteer at the cancer treatment center, so I did the next best thing. I think I just wanted to be able to give back a little to the place i spent a lot of time at over an 8 month spell - 3 surgeries and a 4 day stay to sort out a post surgical infection. 

I was a facilitator for the kindergarten / preschool tour group. We would show them xrays, go visit the x ray dept and the cast clinic, and if possible, check out an ambulance if there happened to be one in the emergency dept that had time for us. I had to stop as I have some kind of bone chip at the base of my big toe, and walking round for a concentrated period of time aggravates it. I am hoping to get back to volunteering there again this year once I figure some things out. 

Re: Volunteer Opportunity

Posted by Cinderella59 on Jan 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi all yes don’t let being on antidepressants stop you from doing other things in life. Especially volunteering I’d like to do this someday. 
I’ve been on them for years. If one doesn’t work then there’s other ones that will. I think I started on Effexor. 
The psychiatrist would recommend them to you obviously.  
Right now I’m on ciprolex 15mgs. 

Be well and rock on. 

Cindy. 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I'm trying to be at peace with the way things turned out.  I did say in one post that I would likely retire and look for a volunteer position.  Funny how things turned out,I sort of ended up doing what I said. 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 13, 2019 11:12 pm

I will be in the gift shop.  The ladies are very welcoming and looking forward to my being there.  I hope it works out.  I'm kind of feeling strange about this

Posted by LPPK on Jan 16, 2019 1:49 pm

That is exciting scaredysquirrel‍   Just think of all the new people, volunteers and customers, you'll get to meet and chat with in the gift shop. Enjoy.

Share with your friends: