Staying at work? Returning to work?

Re: Staying at work? Returning to work?

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks Brighty‍ , I feel really stupid for taking so long to decide.  I should have just gone with my feelings and said "retire"  I hope my Union rep can help me.  Thanks again for your support

Posted by Brighty on Aug 27, 2018 10:56 pm

scaredysquirrel‍ you're not stupid, it's a HUGE decision.   I know both my folx struggled with that too.    My dad was into his 70's before he retired, and now he just plays on the computer all day.  My mom was close to 70 as well when she retired.   She worked 18 to 20 hour days and that's a huge change from that to having no structure.    She was used to getting up at 5 a.m. and working some days till 10 pm. and then coming home and doing MORE work!    Doing that for 43 years, then retiring, it's like, what do I do now???    You have to find a purpose or some sort of routine when you retire so you have something to look forward to.      My folx also spend a few days a week looking after my brother's dog, Brighty.    It saves my brother the dog walking fees a few days a week and they love the dog.     other than that, they travel sometimes on the oldies trips and just do whatever they feel like it.   It's a much more relaxing lifestyle than what they were used to for so many years!!! But they got adjusted.  It's a big adjustment.   

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 28, 2018 11:18 am

scaredysquirrel‍ . Decision made! Well done. I’ll bet you’re feeling better already. Oops, just read a couple more of your posts... perhaps not.

Heavy sigh on your behalf!

Perhaps this thought will help: Now you are in a position of great power. 

Human Resources hoops just got too high to jump through? I can tell ‘em to stuff it.
Commuting gotcha down? I can pack it in.
My old supervisor having more fun in retirement that I am? Let’s go for a drink and a long chat! At 10 a.m.!
Back loving my old job? I can stay as long as I want.

Posted by Dielle on Aug 28, 2018 12:08 pm

scaredysquirrel‍   I think Cynthia Mac‍ is so right.  You are in control here and you can do whatever you want to do.  You are not obligated to go back to work but if you decide to give it a try they do have certain obligations to you.  

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Dielle‍ , I appreciate your support and kind thoughts.  It's up to me, how this goes....

Cynthia Mac‍  you seem to be able to really put my thoughts in a "nut shell" no pun intended.  I like your suggestions.  I haven't been able to speak with my Union Rep yet, she just got back from vacation so is likely busy.  I'm hoping to have a discussion with her soon.  Will keep you posted.  Love your comments.  Cheers

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Now that the wheels are in motion for my return to work, even if it ends up being brief, I'm nervous!  I've not been on my job for over a year.  I hope it all comes back to me.  

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 13, 2019 11:41 pm

OH man, I wish I'd read this over and over.  I was so confused trying to return to work and having the retirement word tempting me all along.  What a mistake.  I'm so sorry that I started down this path.  I wish I could go back to September and return to work.  

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 7, 2019 12:47 am

lochatter‍ congratulations on your successful return to work.  I almost made it back to work, unfortunately all the catastrophising thoughts about my return started to go through my thoughts and I made a rash decision to retire.  Now I wish I had given the gradual return to work a chance.  I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the stress and work load at times.  I'm sure now that I could have handled it especially on a low key schedule.  I would have gone back around last Sept. 17.  I don't know why I chose retirement, because I was clearly not ready for it.  It's been a real shock and adjustment to my life.  I'm board already.  I have a volunteer job at the hospital in the gift shop.  It's pretty low key. I've only done 2 training shifts so far.  It does fill the void somewhat but not like my job.  I would have liked one more year at my job before retiring.  Oh well, I have to try and move on but it's been a struggle.  I still think a lot about my job and wonder how it would have gone had I returned.  I know my workmates would have been supportive and happy to have me back.  I'm also ice skating a couple of times a week.  It helps break up the monotony.  I'm planning to reapply at Douglas College for the bookstore on call position for the fall term.  I hope to be reconsidered and this time should be in good health.  I wish I'd read your posting before making my rash decision.  Oh well, we all make mistakes.  Glad it worked out for you.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 19, 2019 2:09 am

I wish I would have read this thoroughly before making my decision to retire.  I think my biggest concern was losing my confidence and not being able to handle my commute.  I know I would have gotten used to it after a few trips.  Now I can look back and see what I needed to do.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  I really did need to return to my job, I'm not enjoying being retired.  I wake up everyday thinking about going to work and wishing I was there.  I'm trying to make the best of it, but it's really difficult.  Going back to work would have helped me find myself again after cancer.  I can't believe I didn't go back to work at least for the 6 weeks rehab through Manulife.  I'm always going to feel like I made a huge mistake.  Nice to read so many positive experiences though.

Share with your friends: