Ring our virtual bell!

Re: Ring our virtual bell!

Posted by LPPK on Jan 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Fantastic Runner Girl‍   I rang the bell January 2018 and I still get emotional when I think about ringing that bell and how everyone around stood up and clapped.  
My skin was "angry" for a while after the end of treatment.   I continued using Glaxal cream and also used red light therapy to heal my skin. At my 3 month post radiation appointment my surgeon said to continue using cream because the skin does take a while to get back to normal.  I find even now that the skin on my nipple gets dry from time to time..
As with everything medical, your body will heal in it's own time.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 19, 2019 10:07 am

Yogasoccermom‍ , there was a discussion here about the very emotions you talk about in your post. It was probably in this area (The Next Chapter - Living well after Cancer) - it might have been under The Emotional Roller Coaster, too.

Lacey_adminCCS‍ , or LPPK‍  - can you help me find a link?

Congratulations to you and Runner Girl‍ on the end of your treatments. 

Posted by Kims1961 on Jan 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Congrats!!!!  Much like you, I rang the bell for both - chemo and radiation.  It is an emotional roller-coaster as with radiation - it still continues to "work" after radiation  treatment is done.  My skin continued to redden and peel but the medicated Flamazine really helped.  Emotionally i was drained - I thought i would be so happy with chemo and radiation being done but much like postpartum, i felt down and woozy.   So many people were so excited for me that at times i felt i needed to be as excited as they were - when i really didn't feel that way.
Much like bonking on a long run  - i had to take it easy / refuel and be gentle on myself.  It did improve with time.

Let the healing begin smiley

Posted by Yogasoccermom on Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Runner Girl:

Yogasoccermom:

Runner Girl:
I finished chemo November 13th.  Today, January 18th I finished radiation.  I've rang the bell for both!!!

Wow! I just finished radiation today, January 18th as well and finished chemo on November 13th! How strange that we share the same dates...
I am pretty numb, while my family wants to celebrate. I guess it just hasn't sunk in yet that I'm done. 

Very strange that we were on the same program.  Did you have surgery, mine was May 23rd.  If that matches its going to be really weird.
I'm happy for you that you are finished also.  I feel like you, I'm not ready to celebrate yet.

Yes, I had surgery on June 29th.  It really would have been weird if we shared that date as well! 
I am glad to see that I'm not alone in feeling drained instead of celebratory. I guess it will come with time, once we have a chance to recover!

Posted by Aseeker on Jan 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you for this thread. This time around, I just had surgery to remove the melanoma from my foot. I can finally walk properly, after having plastic surgery to plug the excision site with new tissue and skin, and being off my foot for a couple of months. Then physio. So ringing a little bell here. ????

Posted by Hocklem on Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am

Congratulations runnergirl?

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am

Aseeker‍ 
Surgery is treatment! Give our bell a big ring smiley

Posted by Inthefog59 on Jan 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Had surgery in July 2017 and finished radiation October 2017!  That's a bell ringer for sure. yes

Posted by mycrazyjourney on Feb 15, 2019 11:05 am

Finally finished chemo.... it’s been a long 6 months. Had a great dinner with my husband and kids and came home to my kitchen filled with balloons and flowers. Feels great to be finished.

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 17, 2019 8:15 pm

mycrazyjourney‍ ....I could hear your bell from here!!!   Congratulations...so happy for you!!!!  Kim

Posted by Brighty on Feb 17, 2019 11:08 pm

mycrazyjourney‍  that is such great news!!!!!

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 27, 2019 12:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4OwZqwKz_s

With a little help from my friends...at the attached link...ha ha!!

Yesterday was my LAST HERCEPTIN!!!  That means no more trips to the hospital every 3 weeks..... surgery ✔chemo ✔. radiation✔  and now Herceptin  💍🛎 😉

I meet with my oncologist in 6 months!! I love her to death but we are both happy that we won't be seeing each for a while .  I'm going to re-read Picking Up the Pieces and start planning a trip in our converted cargo van.  I owe so much to all of you and this community - thank you is not nearly enough.  Sending a virtual hug and positivity dance to everyone!

💃🕺😎

Posted by Brighty on Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm

Kims1961‍   yay!!!!!! Woo-hoo! !!!!!! Great news!!!!!!!

Posted by ashcon on Feb 28, 2019 8:11 am

Big congratulations  Kim! Kims1961‍ 
(You forgot to include broken wrist in your list of checkmarked items !  (😂 )

Where will your next trip in your converted cargo van take you? 

Posted by Misueno on Feb 28, 2019 8:24 am

Great news Kims1961‍ .... thank you to you too for always responding to questions and concerns with humour and great suggestions.  It’s wonderful not having to visit the hospital on such a regular basis... I’m down to every 6 months for the Zometa treatment. 

Have a great trip 😉

Posted by Dielle on Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Thats great news Kims1961‍.  Herceptin really drags out the treatment schedule and its such a relief when its done.

Have fun planning your trip.

Debbie

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Feb 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Fabulous news Kims1961‍ !!!
I am expecting some dancing with those ringing bells

Congratulations!

Lianne

Posted by LPPK on Feb 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Super news Kims1961‍   

Posted by Minus2 on Mar 1, 2019 7:24 am

Awesome news Kims1961‍!  Congratulations on ringing that bell!

Posted by CherylW on Mar 1, 2019 4:15 pm

Chemo and radiation finished Oct.29th/2018

Posted by Kims1961 on Mar 1, 2019 7:20 pm

CherylW‍   Yahoo!!  Congrats!

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 4, 2019 11:20 am

Kims1961‍ 

Kim, great news!!!

I missed the post, and just came across it.

Positivity Dance for sure, and back to the van for a trip. Excellent ways to celebrate. 👍

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Lauren55 on Mar 4, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi, I don't know how I missed this thread. 
Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring

I finished chemo May 2017, surgery July 2017, finished radiation October 2017, last Herceptin March 2018, exchange surgery June 2018, encapsulated surgery no set date yet.

I ring this bell loud and clear.

I had the opportunity to ring the big Church bell this past November.  It was in honour of the 100 years since WW1.  I rang it for the veterans and I also rang it for myself.  It was such a simple gesture but so empowering the same time.

Live, Love, Laugh
Lorinda

Share with your friends: