Are We Ever Cancer Free?

Re: Are We Ever Cancer Free?

Posted by lakie on Apr 19, 2017 10:42 am

Good morning everyone,  my oncologist and my family doctor told me right from the start I will never be cancer free. I had chemo, then on to anastrozole  and now it has stopped working so now it's on to PlanB which will be another 2 pills. I will keep on going till we run out of options. I agree with KayC and sundown,  I will live everyday as I can and do whatever it takes. Live in the moment, take each day as it comes and go with it. Spend time with family and friends. Take care everyone and God blesssmileysmiley

Posted by Mary-Evelyn on Apr 20, 2017 6:10 pm

I agree, Lakie, once we have mets we are never going to be "cancer-free" as stages 1 and 2 can hope to be. On the bright side, they have more drugs to use than ever before. Even if the day must come when we run out of options,  it can be years down the road.  

Are you also a member of the Facebook groups for Canadians, e.g. "Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer in Canada", and "Canadians with Metastatic Breast Cancer". There is lots of emotional and practical support among these groups' members.

Mary-Evelyn

Posted by lakie on Apr 21, 2017 12:27 am

Hi Mary Evelyn, I didn't know about those Facebook sites but will look into it. I went to pick up my new meds today and was told one of them interacts with my blood pressure medication so will be trying to go without my blood pressure meds. Am a little worried but will see what happens. You're so right about all the new drugs out there. I pray my options do run out a long time down the road, I have lots to do yet.
Take care and God bless.

Posted by sundog on Apr 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion about what to say to people who ask if my treatment was successful? Many of my customers really want to hear that everything is a.o.k., but it's hard to just smile and say yes, when I know they relate this to 'cancer free'. I like the idea of Kay.C‍ and "treatment free". Any other suggestions that won't be 'too much information' but won't be a false assurance? Right now I'm saying I'm stable and done treatment. 

Posted by Roll-On on Apr 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Hey sundog‍ 
That is a great question. I tend to answer similar to you. I don't need to give them the long sad version and frankly I know they don't want to know. Most give us that sad puppy face look and are just being polite. 
I just say that for now I am in a holding pattern to see the results of the treatment. Could resurface in another area or form but holding my own.
Roll On

Posted by sundog on Apr 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Roll-On‍ Uh oh, I just know I'm going to laugh next time someone gives me that 'sad puppy face look'.  Never thought of it in those words before!

Posted by on Jun 27, 2017 2:34 pm

sundog‍ and Roll-On‍...hey guys...I think that the bottom line is:  one day at a time...just say, I am O.K., so far...so far, so good...and I think that is true of everyone in the world, today, with the global cancer epidemic happening, and so many thousands of new cancer patients being diagnosed every year...

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 26, 2017 2:07 pm

This is a very valid question.  My chemo Onc wants me to go for a colonoscopy once I'm done treatments.  Many years ago I had a colonoscopy done and there was a cyst found and removed from my colon.  It's been years since I've had this test done.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to check!

Posted by Dielle on Aug 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi scaredysquirrel‍, I have a colonoscopy booked at the end of September.  When I saw a new gp after my cancer diagnosis she sent for some routine blood tests and asked if I wanted to do a FIT test too (its recommended after the age of 50 to screen for colon cancer).  It came back positive although as with all screening tests the probability that it indicates cancer is low and my PET Scan showed nothing abnormal in the bowel.  I did have a grastrointestinal disease many years ago and this could indicate a flare up.  My memories of a colonoscopy are not that pleasant but best to get it over with and take care of whatever is going on.  I'm trying not to worry about it too much but its just that one more thing that has to be taken care of.

Best of luck with yours.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Dielle, thanks.  Yes, back in the day when I had my first colonoscopy the Dr. didn't even give me any anesthetic, it was very uncomfortable.  

Posted by Kay.C on Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm

It's a question we will ask ourselves forever, that may keep us awake at night, and that may bring tears to our eyes when we tuck our little ones into bed ...we will never know for sure.
It was a wise member on this site a while back who answered this very question the best way possible
"At the moment I am treatment free"
This allows you to answer with the knowledge you have, and not having to get too personal about your prognosis.
We can always hope 🤞
-KayC

Share with your friends: