+ Reply
BRA DAY - Breast reconstruction awareness
Liz2000
15 Posts
For a third year in a row, Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day will be held virtually on Wednesday, October 19 from 7pm-10pm (EST).

BRA Day is intended to EDUCATE women on their breast reconstruction options, EMPOWER women to make the choice that’s right for them and CONNECT women with others who have been through it.

I've included the poster in the attachment, as well as below. Registration is a team effort - we need your help to spread the word and disseminate this poster to your various patients and/or networks and colleagues.

If you haven't already done so, I encourage each of you to registeryourselves.

On behalf of the BRA Day team, thanks for your support!
Jaimie

6 Replies

@Liz2000 Hi. Is this ever held earlier so it’s not so late for us out here in the west? This will be 10:00 pm to 1:00 am for those of us living in BC.

Heady
10 Posts

@Liz2000Why is aesthetic flat closure not included in this event? Why an entire day on reconstruction, but no information on remaining flat? Many women with implants have to explant due to complications or breast implant illness and a recent publication linked some rare cancers to breast implants. I feel like this entire event is to promote plastic surgeons. My oncologist said to me “Surgeons like to do surgery“. Women need to know that they have other options.

Liz2000
15 Posts

@islandgirltoo Hi! A fri of mine that’s also a cancer survivor forward it to me. I really don’t know the answer but you’re ab right. Maybe try to contact the organizer. I’m sorry I can’t help you. Cheers!

Liz2000
15 Posts

@Heady I agree and feel the same way!!! Had a full mastectomy and opted out from reconstruction myself. This invitation was forwarded to me by a friend who’s also a breast cancer survivor and had a full mastectomy as well. She, also, refused the reconstruction. I thought someone might be interested.

Cheers!

Heady
10 Posts

@Liz2000There is a group trying to have aesthetic flat closure included in the day. Surgeons make more money doing reconstruction, as it usually involves another surgery and for many women several surgeries. Some surgeons don’t even know what an aesthetic flat closure is or offer the option to go flat. They should be offering nerve preserving surgery! That would be groundbreaking and innovativ!

Ariadne
29 Posts

@islandgirltoo I think it’s the other way round - 7PM ET is 4PM PT - so this would be 4PM-7PM PT for you?

+ Reply