+ Reply
Self doubt?
Laurie71
10 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm Laurie. My question to all of you is, have you ever felt self doubt after your lumpectomy or mastectomy? What I mean is, have you felt like you ever second guessed your pain symptoms after surgery?

My story is this. I had a lumpectomy on March 15th, 2022, radiation began mid May and ended early June 2022. Recovery from radiation I felt lasted 2 months. Since then I have experienced a lot of pain in my left nipple and areola, so I went to see me GP. He then sent me for an ultrasound which was August 26th, 2022. Result: LARGE cyst I was then told by my GP to monitor the pain for one month. If the pain was still present or worse. That I was to get back to him for further testing. As of today, September 8th, the pain is still there. It is moving around the nipple and I'm finding it hard to sleep on my stomach.
Am I over thinking this pain or has anyone felt this way after surgery? Perhaps this is now my new normalcy?

And to make life more interesting. I have been fighting a sinus/chest cold for 3 weeks and have been told to go for a Chest and sinus x-ray today to rule out pneumonia or a blood clot. 😣

Feeling a bit frustrated.

2 Replies

@Laurie71 I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. The whole process can be very frustrating and it shouldn't be.

As for self-doubt, I'm sure you are not alone with those feelings. Besides, there is never anything wrong with how you are feeling. They are your emotions and you have to acknowledge they are there and deal with them in a way that is right for you.

As for your cyst, I had one develop a few years ago, which was long after my surgery in 2011. For me, something just didn't seem right. I contacted my GP and she immediately gave me a requisition for a mammogram and ultrasound. I was then asked to come back on the Wednesday, which I discovered was the day when the focus is on doing tests for breast cancer. I had another type of mammogram, a more focussed ultrasound, and subsequently, a biopsy. When they did the biopsy, the cyst collapsed. They could get a sample of what was in the cyst so that I could know for sure if there was cancer. They told me that the fact that it broke told them it was a cyst. The next time I went for an ultrasound, they told me that the cyst had gotten smaller so all was good. I figured if the cyst had broken that there was nothing there…that it had all gone away.

Being in pain should not be a new normal for you and, based on my own personal experience would not have wanted to wait a month to see if the pain would last. If it is that large a cyst, I'm not sure what the point is to waiting. Perhaps your doctor is hoping that the cyst will shrink on its own. Unfortunately, some doctors don't appreciate what you are going through physically, mentally, and emotionally. To you, based on what you are saying, this is not “just” a cyst.

Perhaps you could advocate for yourself and go back to see your GP. Ask your doctor what he hopes will happen by waiting a month and make it clear that you don't want to be in pain for a month and having all this added stress. If you feel comfortable, you could ask for a biopsy to be done. This would give you some piece of mind and, if it is a cyst, would potentially cause it to rupture and your pain, with the cyst gone or smaller, would be much better.

As always, what you do with your body is in your hands. Sometimes you have to advocate for yourself. If someone has not had cancer, they cannot fully appreciate what you are going through. And living in pain is affecting your quality of life, which really not something that anyone wants to go through.

If you are willing, please let me know how you make out.

FYI. If you click on the word cysts below, you will see all the other posts that have been tagged the same way.

cancertakesflight

#cysts

supersu
1369 Posts

@Laurie71
good sunny morning!

I hear the frustration in your post.

sounds like you have been thru the wringer….but thankfully you know you and your body and you are having this pain investigated. don't ever feel bashful or have doubt about having something like this looked into. you are not a bother. you are a patient, advocating for your own health.

and sounds like the chest/sinus issue is just a cherry on the top of it all.
you must feel awful.

sending all my best vibes that you get some answers STAT, and that you can enjoy some of this beautiful Alberta autumn.

hugs neighbor,
su

#painpostsurgery #breastcyst

+ Reply