+ Reply
The power of advocating for yourself.
ACH2015
2301 Posts

I read this story today, and it brought back the shock and fear, and literally the disbelief when I was told that a Plan B Stage IV surgery surgery needed after a failed immunotherapy clinical trial would be months away. It was completed two weeks later after making some noise at the appropriate level of the MOH (O). Not the way treatments should be escalated, but if you don't advocate and seek redress - you could be left out in the cold - and far worse off.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-woman-cancer-surgery-cancelled-1.6316598

ACH2015

4 Replies

@ACH2015

I'm hearing more and more of these stories. There is a growing wave of new diagnosis and the delays are serious. The doctors know what needs to happen are often in a situation of not being able to make a dent in the system. Using networks and media to draw attention to this dire situation is important.

Angus

ACH2015
2301 Posts

@WestCoastSailor

I was not willing to wait for another 4 months to have a Plan B surgical procedure that was supposed to be scheduled in the event of the clinical trial failing - as mine did.

Any stage of cancer is serious, but to cancel a Stage IV surgery is unforgivable. I applaud this person in the CBC story for taking similar action as did I. I will always encourage anyone to take it up the required number of notches to protect themselves and their quality and length of life.

Covid will potentially kill not only those that contract the virus, but innocent people waiting for surgeries and treatments of many kinds. People that are already victims of disease need not be victimized again after someone cancels your procedure because there are not enough beds, doctors, ICU placements etc… One thing I know for sure, I would be a dead statistic today if I was in the situation today that I was in in 2017 / 2018. Resources need to be restreamed and made available to the cases in need. Stage IV Colon Cancer Surgery is not deemed “elective” and should never be treated as such - even during a pandemic. Advocate people - advocate.

ACH2015

RBION
88 Posts

I saw the news article as well @ACH2015 and was so glad to see the movement this Ontario women received for her case. The story was also discussed at the recent CCRAN.org patient/caregiver monthly meeting since the patient made her situation public (CCRAN being a strong advocacy body for anyone affected by CRC). For anyone unaware, ccran is there to help people navigate the system as it relates to colorectal cancer, and to help advocate for patient care. Don't be shy to contact them for support.

Rbion

Whitelilies
2267 Posts

@ACH2015 Hello…..my words for www.CCRAN.org (Filomena)…..are……simple…….

Supportive/Skilled/Connections/Caring…….We must self-advocate (and reach out to others for help/when needed), especially during these challenging times…..

No stage 4 cancer patient should have their life saving surgery “postponed/cancelled”……it should be accelerated!

Let's Support One Another - Right Here!

Whitelilies

+ Reply