+ Reply
1 week till surgery....feeling anxious
IamJay
120 Posts
Because of COVID I've been waiting 4 months to get a surgery date and finally have one for January 14! I don't want to keep living with the pain I've got but gosh I'm nervous about this surgery. It's a big one and I'll be in hospital for 2-3 weeks with a long recovery of 1 year following.
I'm nervous about the surgery and trying to keep myself distracted 😬 while I wait. I'm also nervous about the COVID situation in Alberta which hasn't peaked yet! Will they cancel my surgery? Will I get exposed to and/or sick with COVID while in the hospital? Will they send me home too early to make room for COVID patients? Will they tell me I can't have visitors?
Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly from here on and that I will finally be able to move on to my new normal.
I'm so glad to have this forum to vent and share my fears. J

28 Replies
Boby1511
786 Posts

@IamJay

Hi there,

Wow 4 months! Long stress period.

I week to go! Make your list. Pillow, blanket, phone cord…

I moved right in when I went (even during covid), they let me bring all the comforts of home.

I was lucky in the sense I didn't have a long wait period to surgery date, so I didn't have time to ponder. I feel for you.

I had every complication after surgery, even died twice on the operating table (heart failure), but I made it to the other side. I'm doing ok today.

I have a colostomy, so any questions feel free to ask.

Sending you all positive vibes. Know that there will be many of us, sitting there with you in your hospital room in spirit, holding your hand.

Warm hugs.

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@IamJay

Positive thoughts and prayers to you, that all goes well, and on time for your upcoming surgery.

ACH2015🙏

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @Boby1511 …I never thought about bringing my pillow! Thanks for the warm kindness!

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @ACH2015 !

ACH2015
2220 Posts

@IamJay

You are most welcome - all the best! From one who's had that anxiety and suffered delay due to a different situation but equally tough.

ACH2015

Boby1511
786 Posts

@IamJay

i brought a regular pillow and one of those pregnant pillows that look like a small L. I used this for my legs and under stomach. Also had an airplane pillow for the day. Stay as comfy as possible. Hugs

Brighty
8197 Posts

@IamJay im so glad you finally got a surgery date. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you!!!!when you get the chance, let us know how you are doing!!!!

supersu
727 Posts

@IamJay

good morning J

how exciting that you FINALLY have a surgery date! 🎉
living in pain 24/7 is no picnic.

I completely understand your anxiety over hospital admission/COVID/and fear of cancellation of this important surgery. sounds completely NORMAL to me. thank you for posting so that others realize we all share some of the same issues, no matter our diagnosis.

while the Omicron variant rages on here in Alberta, I don't think that surgery or hospital admissions have been affected, thankfully.

I would hope that you & other folks in like situations are given priority in the queue.

good luck with it all next Friday.

cheers
su

#surgeryday #anxiety #fear #COVIDcancer

JustJan
1291 Posts

@IamJay so glad your surgery date has finally been scheduled. I certainly understand your anxiety and fear. Sending positive vibes that everything goes as planned.

LC2021
29 Posts

Hi @IamJay – that is great that you now have a date. Focus on the upside of that news if you can. In addition to Boby1511 suggestions (pillow, blanket)etc., which are great suggestions, because you will appreciate having your own ! I had a blanket and the nurses commented every time on how soft and cozy it was :) Also I was very thankful to have my IPAD with me and had a list of recommendations of things to watch, given to me before going into hospital :)

One thing the nurses had done in the ward I was in, which I thought was brilliant, was they had used old sheets to make a ‘pull up’ for patients while in bed. I'll try to describe….. the fabric was tied to the foot of the bed at one end, and the other end was loose and I could use it to pull myself up to a more upright position. It was REALLY helpful for the first week post op ! My nurses told me that one nurse thought of it a long time ago and set it up on a couple of beds, and then the idea took off and it was used on the entire ward. So I am thinking it may be a good idea to take something that you could rig up on your own (if they allow it where you will be admitted). IE) a skipping rope or something.

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery, but let your body work at its' own pace, and be a patient patient ……

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @LC2021 those are good ideas…I have a yoga strap that would work….I won't be allowed to sit so this will interesting!

elle29
899 Posts

Hi @IamJay A little bit of the the nervous anxious feeling is sometimes good ?! It keeps your adrenaline up to come through surgery just fine .
You could run it off on a tread mill or rowing machine . A member recommended asking your own GP for Adivan . A tiny pill to put under your tongue to help calm u and sleep .Are u sleeping well ?

There are alternative supports for nervous anxious energy on the CCS site too . I liked a modified yoga 🧘 that. TV channels have very calMing. approach and tone to hear. Puts u in a relaxed state and your mind asleep ! 👍

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @elle29 I do have the tiny magic pill! I've used it sporadically but this week I'll use it less sparingly! It helps me to go to sleep!

MariaH
16 Posts

Sending you positive surgery vibes! I am 7 weeks post op from UofA surgery and had rectum removed and stoma created. I have gone throught these concerns too regarding covid and you gotta trust the system. My surgical team was awesome…I can't say enough good things about it how it all went and how relieved I feel now…Wishing you all the best!!

Whitelilies
1901 Posts

@MariaH Hi Maria…….how are you doing? Healing going well? Getting a bit used to the stoma? (whenever you go to hospital/check up etc….ask Nurse for LOTS of free-samples of ostomy products - they receive tons, from the Suppliers etc!)

Regards

Whitelilies

IamJay
120 Posts

@MariaH and @Whitelilies I'll be getting two stomas so will make sure to ask for samples etc from the nurses. So looking forward to getting on with my life! There will.be lots of recovering to do and lots to learn with two ostomies but I'll have lots of time!

Whitelilies
1901 Posts

@IamJay Hello…I am wishing you the BEST, for Jan 14th……I do HOPE it goes, as planned….yes so much added stress with covid, in AB, and everywhere…..plan for things to be a go! Get “ready", get “packed”, get “prepped”.

Re; 2 Stomas……Please know ….I recall overhearing 2 Nurses talking, in the Ostomy clinic, as I awaited my turn……I “heard” them saying….they attended a Lecture, from a Dr, in Mississauga (ONT), on Stomas…..and at the end of this Lecture…..he opens his jacket….and showed his Audience, that HE HAD 2 Stomas!! He is also a surgeon…..So……great things can happen and move forward, with 2 stomas…..

Perhaps, any day now (unsure with covid…..any appt may be on hold?), you will get your pre op instructions, in person….AND a nurse will “mark with an X”, your stoma site…..one left; one right. They are looking at folds in your skin…they will ask you to sit…..to bend, etc…..for sure some “medical reasons too”…..ie where in the GI tract stoma is needed…..(I am no doctor !)

When you are in recovery/surgery is done….the Ostomy Nurse, will come in, and show you how to change the bag……give yourself some time……to adjust…..to take it all in…..there will be no rush…..she will show you, and you can ask for further lessons (at home too - a Nurse will be assigned, to help you at home; ie 6 weeks !) Ostomy Nurse will help you on HOW to order these products…Ensure that you ask about Funding for these Ostomy products…..in ONT, one qualifies, for about $1000 per year /keep ALL receipts……I will assume “Same amount” in AB…..Samples……let the Nurse give you a Boatload!! You can even use your time, now, to reach these Distributors, and ask them to mail you some; Coloplast & Hollister - both Canadian….both terrific product line…A little bit down the road. ….I can offer some product names, that I found super helpful (others will too, hopefully)….

I dont want to overwhelm, in any way…..so that part is on “hold”.

PACK for Hospital:

Here we go: Lip balm, hand lotion, dry shampoo, tiny mirror, scope in spray form , flosser stick (easier with 1 hand!) water bottle, kleenex, wipes (when you want to feel FRESH as a daisy, and the nurses are all swamped…..you can do a wipe-bath, and the scent of lavender will be lovely!) Technology/charger…..anti skid slippers…..they say GUM is helpful, to increase saliva production; helps with GI area…..water will be good for you too……dont bother with a ROBE…..makes luggage heavy; just put on another Blue Gown (the Trendy One!) and walk in halls, if permitted……follow all instructions….movement of body is good, when permitted……..paper & pen; to quickly write down the name of a kind medical staffer!

When you catch your breath…..please let us know , how things went……fingers crossed it will happen, and all things will be a GO!

Go Jay!

Regards

Whitelilies

#YouGotThis

MariaH
16 Posts

Doing very well. Yes I got lots of samples but the stoma nurses sent me home with everything I needed for a couple week as well as different brands (AHS has a contract with Hollister products) and then I went online and got more free samples from Hollister who then sent me extra things to try that I had not even requested.

Home care here (St. Albert) was fantastic and the bonus of seeing different nurses was that they all had lots of tips and ideas from different perspectives. When I had questions home care and stoma nurses were only a text away! I have been digesting well, sleeping well, no leaks yet. I can work out and lift now at 7 weeks. I have signed up tentatively for pre-reversal tests in July. Once I am finished chemo I can try and solidify the actual surgery date but due to covid and the fact that ostomy reversals are not high priority it could be put off….and that's why I was put on the waiting list now.

MariaH
16 Posts

Feel free to message me if you have any other specific questions. It's been such a positive experience for me, getting a stoma (not the cancer overall! yikes), that I very much understand why crohn's and colitis patients will opt to get it and understand why someone might like to keep one actually. It's pretty easy trade off to be able to control your waste after pain and illness.

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @Whitelilies you always have such good information.

I like the idea of bringing a water bottle! Don't worry about spills etc!

It's funny but I've had purple dots on my belly for about 2 months now and have to keep refreshing them!

I will post when all in is done!

J

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks @MariaH

It has been a long haul for me but I'm nervously looking forward to the surgery on Friday….never thought I'd say that and mean it!

I'll have a lot to learn and will definitely contact you with questions!

Breathing deeply!

J

JoeG
22 Posts

@IamJay. I can't imagine the stress you must have felt waiting for the surgery date. I go nuts just waiting 2 weeks for results.

I wish you the best of luck with the surgery and yes make a list and put everything together in a corner so you don't forget anything.

I will be praying for you 🙏

IamJay
120 Posts

Thanks so much @JoeG !

Whitelilies
1901 Posts

@IamJay Hello……I am hopeful that Jan 14th surgery is a GO! Wishing you the best….and a speedy recovery…..Let us know, how you are doing…..once you catch your breath…..

Remember: Ear Plugs!! 2 sets !! Hospital ward can be busy & loud at 3am…

Regards

Whitelilies

SQLC
31 Posts

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. I know it is scary times out there with Covid! wishing you the best and keep us posted.

LC2021
29 Posts

@IamJay

one idea to add to hospital list of things to take in ….. DRY SHAMPOO !

my grimy hair drove me crazy and the shampoo cap the nurse gave me only seemed to make a small difference for a day ! 😂

supersu
727 Posts

good morning @IamJay
today is the day!
I hope all is still a go for your surgery; and it will remedy the pain you have been living with.
sending all my positive vibes to you.
cheers
su

Ineke
112 Posts

Thinking and sending virtual hugs to you, today as this is the day!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

+ Reply