+ Reply
Mental Health
MelBis81
14 Posts
7 Replies
S2020
715 Posts

Hi @MelBis81,

I posted a link previously for a CanCope study that may be helpful.

https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/80/69116

I will tag @CanCope in this post. (Hi CanCope Team! I have heard from participants that they are enjoying this study and finding it to be very helpful. Are you still accepting participants for the study? Thank you!)

@MelBis81, on the topic of journaling, I just finished a journaling program at Wellspring with an excellent facilitator. It sounded as if they may be planning to offer it again. Let them know you are interested and they will notify you when dates are added to the schedule.

Also, check with your oncology clinic to see if they offer mental health services. Many hospitals are offering their mindfulness programs online throughout the pandemic so that is another option.

We are here for you, too.

MelBis81
14 Posts
S2020‍ thanks.
yeah I was looking for that wellspring program, I just don't know when it will be. I checked that I was interested a while ago. Hopefully they will have it soon.
Sadie12
87 Posts

Hi @MelBis81

Your feelings seem to be echoed in other discussions in this forum…the wave of emotions that come after you have rallied through the treatment is a usually ignored struggle that is a reaction as strong as the physical. It has for me, as well, as I finished treatment in March. I have a support worker through my cancer centre. Have you ever worked through Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way? It's a lot about journaling and creativity.

I fight the dark side with yoga, meditation, walking, gratitude (I have a journal where I nightly list 3 things that I am thankful for or good things that happened that day) and art. I don't always make it. I had to, reluctantly, resort to a mild sleeping pill because my disrupted sleep patterns were adding to my anxiety. I also chase a 13 month old and reign in his 6 year old brother, so…yeah…the art often slides off the day.

I just found your blog, thanks to the comments above. I will try to find time to read it soon.

All the best and take good care.

Sadie12

MelBis81
14 Posts

Never heard of the Artist way, but will look into it. I had a social worker at the beginning of it all, but didn't feel it did much at the time. Maybe I should try again. It is easier for me to write about it than talk about it… if i could connect my mind to a computer I would have even more to say. Most of the time I think when I go for my walks and say to myself I would be able to write about it later, but when I get to it it doesn't even come out…

Sadie12
87 Posts

@MelBis81

Someone on this forum (who had more than one recurrence) said something like ‘Cancer may likely get me one day, but NOT TODAY’.

So, my mantra now is shortened to ‘NOT TODAY’…when the dark thoughts are coming, I say that in my head. I even use it now when I get irritated by someone's actions and it starts to eat at my day…I think ‘NOT TODAY’. And it actually helps me.

I do walking meditations when I need to. For example, when I was fresh in remission but still not trusting it, I repeated in my head ‘I am Strong, I am Healthy, I am Enough’.

Have a good day. I hope the sun shines where you are.

N

MelBis81
14 Posts

Thank you for this. This is good way of thinking. I should try to incorporate this into my day. I'm a work in progress.

@Sadie12 thanks so much for the recommendation I have ordered the book for Steven 🌻

+ Reply