+ Reply
Up and Down
SQLC
17 Posts

My husband has had two rounds of chemo and two surgeries for mets to his liver. The last surgery was in May and he was told they had gotten it all and he was Cancer free at that time. They were going to monitor him closely and hopefully maintain him. We knew that this was not the end of our journey with Cancer but were hopeful that we might get a reprieve. His latest CT scan showed two small lesions on his liver. Now we are waiting for see what is next, lazer if the lesions are small enough, surgery, more chemo? I know that this is the “new normal” for us but sometimes it is overwhelming. But, thanks for letting me vent.

9 Replies
Dave58
172 Posts

@SQLC Hi, I sorry for what you're going through and from the bottom of my heart I hope you get good news. You're always welcome to vent in here. Venting is always a good thing, to let out emotions that shouldn't be bottled up or pushed down.

My cancer has spread to my liver as well and I'm starting Chemo in 8 days. I can't wait as I feel it will be more beneficial than my radiation treatments. Please keep us updated, we all want to help you in any manner we can !

RBION
36 Posts

@SQLC It's so hard on the emotions :-( So many ups and downs since your husband's diagnosis, it seems you've barely had a chance to catch your breath. Is he still upbeat most of the time? I ask because you mentioned that in the past. I know my mood is affected by my husband's good outlook which actually helps me. Thnking of you.

SQLC
17 Posts

My husband has a very positive attitude which really helps. But, the waiting is hard on him as well. Especially when the Oncologist says he will call by a certain time and doesn’t. I know they are
busy and have lots of patients but your mind goes where it shouldn’t.

Dave58
172 Posts

@SQLC They say no new is good news, but not when you're waiting desperately for any news. I'm going for an MRI tomorrow evening for a brain scan as they found something “ suspicious ” there during my last scan. I'm torn between knowing and not knowing, but I need that information so I can process everything. I know I'm not the only one that they're dealing with and my oncology team is top notch but everything is hurry up and wait.

Whitelilies
1476 Posts

@Dave58 Hello Dave……I too , wish you the best…..for the MRI, on Thursday….evening you shared; my only “tip” for the MRI/skinny tunnel……is to close your eyes….and do not open, until you are done/out. I put on a lot of lip balm, as the air is blowing in your face a lot….and you may be doing a lot of deep breathing/in/out….the technician will “talk” with you….and say ‘2 minutes for this side’ etc…..if you wish; tell technician, before you lie down , to “Talk a lot to 'ya”……words may be comforting…..

I hope the results come soon, and the waiting period is brief…… we are ALL here……to support you and more.

As the song goes; “We Are Family”! Did I just age myself? Sung by Sister Sledge….back in the day…..

Warmest Regards

Whitelilies

Brighty
7488 Posts

Thinking of you tonight @Dave58 !let us know how your MRI goes!

Cynthia Mac
3338 Posts
SQLC‍ , As you point out, oncologists are busy people. Dad’s oncologist came rushing in to an appointment once, apologizing profusely for being late and explaining that he’s had a patient come in with an emergency. We both waved it off, because that told us that if Dad ever needed that kind of help, this guy would drop everything for us, too.

That being said, it is OK to follow-up with the oncologist’s office! Dad’s oncologist’s support staff were really helpful in that regard. I always maintained a diplomatic countenance when speaking with them - the old adage “you get more flies with honey than with vinegar” certainly applies in cases like this. Given that the weekend is coming up, I would contact their office early tomorrow morning, if they don’t come through for you today.
SQLC
17 Posts

Wishing you the best, keep us posted

Dauntless
116 Posts

@Dave58 , Here's hoping the chemo puts you in remission as it did me 2and half years ago, only lasted 9 months but what a great 9 months. Since then, on a targeted drug, and chemo again, 6 cycles and now maintenance chemo. Usually first week after, some side effects, but usually last two weeks pretty good. Take care

Dauntless, (Dianne)

+ Reply