+ Reply
Kindness Changes Everything
JustJan
740 Posts
I came across this today and it really resonated with me. I have felt so much kindness from many of you in this community and there are no words to describe the impact it has had on me. Feel free to tag someone in this community who has extended kindness to you.

20 Replies
Brighty
7040 Posts

Back at you JustJan‍ !!!!! Everyone on here has shown kindness !! everyone!!!!! I'm going to tag Cynthia Mac‍ who found me on the site, followed my story and reached out to me with kind words and never ending support when I was going through the worst of things. Thank you again cynthia!!!!I'll never forget it.

Whitelilies
1200 Posts

@JustJan Hello….thank you for sharing this piece…….

SO True…….Kindness makes the world go around.

Hey @Brighty …..you were the first friend who reached out to me…..and now…..BFFs…baby….BFFs…….we connected on SO many levels…..Thank you, for your support!

Whitelilies

Miss Lilly

Brighty
7040 Posts
Awwwww Whitelilies‍ !!!!miss Lilly you are just an awsome person and friend. You have touched so many lives here with your kindness!!!!
Cynthia Mac
3229 Posts

Aw, @Brighty , you brought tears to my eyes! You've helped me over the years, too.

I think the person who I ended up leaning on a lot was @WestCoastSailor. He was really helpful in helping me learn about my Dad's lung cancer.

Brighty
7040 Posts
Oh i mean it Cynthia Mac‍ you got me through the worst time in my life with your kindness and compassion.

Aww shucks Miss @Cynthia Mac You are too kind. Sometimes I forget how important that can be. I play the rough gruff Scotsman but I've always got time to answer questions about this disease that is so misunderstood. (And that is eventually going to kill me.)

Over the years on this site there have been so many people that have touched me with their kindness. @ACH2015 comes to mind. Posts exchanged, hours on the phone when I was struggling. He's probably blushing to be called kind but there were others too. @JamesT , @ashcon , @Kuching , @Pinarello1 and many others have been there to share the ups and downs of this journey. Sometimes they were other mentors and sometimes they were members. Kindness goes a long way to making this journey more bearable.

Angus

ACH2015
2050 Posts

@WestCoastSailor Angus,

Thanks for that.

Many situations in my life, including cancer and the issues surrounding who gets what, drives me at times to right the wrongs for myself and others. And in doing so, kindness shines through. A benefit of the actions taken.

Andy,

ACH2015

ashcon
1925 Posts
JustJan‍ This is marvellous. I love that line about kindness being intentional at times from certain people. You really notice it, there's a certain energy about it.

WestCoastSailor‍ you are such an intentional person who has greatly impacted me for the better with your kindness.
Same goes for...
Beespecial‍, CentralABhkjudyKims1961jorolaMinus2Yulia G‍ who quite often have made my heart burst with gratitude.
And I cannot thank you, ACH2015‍ enough for the empowerment and kindness you show and embrace. Thanks to your genuine caring, I found a purpose out of this whole crappy cancer experience to become so involved with advocacy for better screening for dense breast tissue. (PS: great progress made across so many provinces since I started advocating. Ontario is still lagging though 😕. It's a work in progress!)
Cynthia Mac
3229 Posts

Ah, yes, there is the “Scottish connection,” too.

You know, I thought Dad’s cancer was going to be the cause of his passing, too, and there is a small chance that it could have been a contributing factor (more from his treatment than the actual disease), so, if you don’t mind me saying so, it might be alright for you to be less certain about your future.

I love this beautiful quote! Our community is such a kind welcoming place because of all of you!

I'm going to tag @jorola who welcomed me when I first became involved with CancerConnection. Thank you for making me feel welcome and offering me a sounding board.

Runner Girl
1849 Posts

In a world where you can be anything - be kind.

I have said it before and it bears saying again, I will never, ever forget the kindness shown to me when I arrived on this site in May, 2018 after receiving my diagnosis, knowing nothing about what lie ahead for me. Thank you @Kims1961 you had the same brand of cancer, you were so kind in explaining and answering my questions, I learned I didn't need to be so fearful, that this was something I could do from you. And thank you to @ACH2015 you provided so much information and were so solid after having been thru so much yourself, I endeavor to provide to others even half of what you provided to me.

And to everyone else here, I see your kindness every day on this site and am grateful to be in your presence.

Runner Girl

Whitelilies
1200 Posts

@Runner Girl Hi…..you continue to amaze me….with your fortitude and resilience…..

I wish to be…..half as strong as you !

AND: What a lovely, new photo!

Regards

Whitelilies

ACH2015
2050 Posts

@ashcon We were in the right place at the right time to connect and share the information that spurred on your drive to pick up the torch to inform and advocate for women that need to know something that was not widely shared regarding dense breasts and the need for additional testing toward accurate preventative screening. Finding purpose and feeling you are making a positive difference in others lives is gratifying and a means to get through the rough patches we all have. As you have said before: Sharing is caring.

I am glad to know that positive progress is being made across the country in this needed area of screening and sharing information needed.

Andy

ACH2015

ACH2015
2050 Posts

@Runner Girl,

As I have said before - its all about paying it forward. And you do that so regularly yourself. I think we all understand the benefits of sharing and steering people going through a cancer diagnosis - because we benefited so much from that assistance ourselves. This helps us as individuals make those tough decisions with the facts needed to make them.

Andy

ACH2015

Bear1
40 Posts

What a great topic JustJan! jorola was the first to reach out to me when I was first diagnosed. Shoutouts to Runner Girl, Brighty, West Coast Sailor, Nicky 01, Boby 1511, elle, and many others who have encouraged and supported me. You all have made a big difference in my life.

Bear 1

Minus2
910 Posts

Thank you for the mention @ashcon. When I teach my students, I often remind them that there is no such thing as a small act of kindness for someone who is struggling or in need. Every kind action is impactful. That was a huge cancer lesson. Many people on this site helped me through some very difficult days and I am eternally grateful. Sometimes a wall is put there so we can lean on it and that's what each of you did for me……..a safe place to lean on and gather strength. While I am no longer a frequent contributor on this site, I do check in often and am always gratified to see my core group so active. When I received my second diagnosis in January 2020, I tried to connect with people on the thread for that specific cancer. It was no where near as active as this thread and it really hit home for me how fortunate I was to have “met” each of you………… @ashcon, @Kims1961, @Cynthia Mac, @ACH2015 @WestCoastSailor, @Lacey_Moderator , @Beespecial , @jorola , @Brighty , and the list goes on…….

Mee
40 Posts

What a beautiful quote, @JustJan!

When I first “found” this site earlier this year, after my diagnosis, I was instantly “surrounded” by a warm and caring community. One of the first people to welcome me was @Runner Girl, who I am tagging on this post. Everyone here is so positive, so helpful, and knows from experience, what I am experiencing on my cancer journey. What a blessing!

jorola
1181 Posts

I am honoured and humbled to be mentioned in this post. Deepest thanks to @Lacey_Moderator , @Minus2 , @Bear1 and @ashcon for mentioning me. I very much agree with @ACH2015 , I am just paying it forward. Many people online help me when Mick was first diagnosed. I seriously do not know where I would have been without them. However, even after I came to this site and Mick was stable, you all still supported me when my anxiety got the best of me and you celebrated with us when we got good news. You all are simply the best. Special thanks to @Lacey_Moderator , @Lianne_Moderator and @ashcon for always knowing what to say. Hugs to you all!

lilou
3 Posts

I would like to thank @Whitelilies for her kindness in reaching out to me when I joined this community. I was terrified after receiving my diagnosis but she found me on my profile page (I never got around to introducing myself) and gave some great tips on what to expect. I am also very grateful to the volunteer who answered my phone call to the help line when I couldn't stop crying. She took all the time in the world to listen to me. You guys are so compassionate!

Whitelilies
1200 Posts

@lilou Hi….with pleasure lilou…..with pleasure……(trust me; I cried in the ear of plenty of medical staff, as well….)…we must get our emotions out…….

So glad YOU reached out, to US……

Lean on us………

Warmly

Whitelilies

+ Reply