+ Reply
Maybe Not ringing the NED bell for the 4 th year after all
Sipsi
85 Posts
Greetings.
I am not sure where to put this post. I have been on the Lung Cancer threads on and off for the past 3 years.
Yesterday I went for my annual check up. This time a CT was scheduled. The last two have been just x-rays and they were clear so I wondered why a CT this time. Anyway I was expecting just the usual slide through the doughnut hole and be on my way. However they wanted blood tests and an 'infusion' to help with contrast. My hubby was waiting in the car since with Covid you couldn't have anyone come in with you. I phoned and sent him home til I called for pick up in an hour or so.
It was quite stressful not knowing what to expect. The 'warm' rush they told me to expect was a really strange sensation, and the bruise from the IV insert was huge!
I switched my phone to silent when I went home as I do when I practice piano and didn't turn it on again til the morning. There were two messages from my Dr by 5 pm that afternoon and a note that he'd call again the next day. That worried me since they usually take a few days to call back on results. It was a difficult morning waiting for his call at just before noon.
My lungs were fine but they saw something in the right lobe of my liver and the ducts in my pancreas were dilated. He ordered more blood work and sent in request for ultrasound.
All I can say is I would never have gone in with any complaints and that goodness that CT picked it up. If it is as early a detection as was my lung cancer then hopefully they can deal with it as successfully.
That being said, no-one mentioned the 'C'word, but they didn't when they found my Lung cancer. What I know of liver cancer is that it is so often the secondary site and so very often the terminal one. Can I dodge the bullet a second time.....At 70 I've had a very full life but hadn't thought I might have to shorten plans for the future.
4 Replies
ACH2015
1903 Posts
Sipsi

I had a recurrence of my cancer after about a year of dealing with the first round of cancer. It is always in the back of our minds that it may come back for another visit. I have a CT scan as part of the surveillance I have had since 2018. The warm rush of the infusion means that the drugs are getting to where they need to go, so fear not.

I have always looked at testing and surveillance as a means to catch anything that may be going on asap toward early intervention or early monitoring as required. My cancer was / is Stage IV (not lung or liver - its unknown primary) cancer- so keeping on top of any potential spread we both know is very important. As you suggested, it does not necessarily mean cancer, but I do understand how it is difficult to keep our minds from going there.Hopefully the forthcoming tests are done quickly and you get timely feedback as well. Hang in there.

ACH2015
Sipsi
85 Posts
ACH2015‍ Thank you.... it’s true what you say about reading how others have coped and I read your profile message which was full of good thoughts. You certainly have had quite a journey though I didn’t follow through on all your journal entries. You seem a very pro-active and positive person who has had to endure quite a bit.

This ‘in-between’ pre-diagnostic stage is very hard. With a history of my traumatic lung cancer episode and knowing now what I didn’t know then makes waiting unbearable. My husband of nearly 50 years of course is a wonderful support but is the original wimp when it comes to illness and is is worse denial than myself about this. Trying to talk to him meets deflection and platitudes I’d rather not hear. I know he means well and his more cheerful self is itself a wonderful support.

I keep imagining a future with struggles to get through, even getting out of bed this morning, if I will be able to manage that and get downstairs to have a cup of tea beside the fire. And if it turns out it’s one of those terrible liver or pancreatic types will it be a short prognosis of only a year to go......

We are both in our 70’s and trying to sell up the family enterprise. No easy challenge and we’ve tried each of the last 4 yrs. This time there is a ‘live’ one interested and we should have a ‘letter of intent’ this week. Wonderful thoughthat might seem I can’t think about moving...... and changing Doctors.......

My sons and their little families are down in the States. Covid makes visits impossible now and I really don’t see us moving down there to be closer to them especially if I will be needing special health care. The future feels very lonely.
ACH2015
1903 Posts
Hi Sipsi

I have my ups and downs with the glass half full thinking, and do my best to keep on top of my situation. My wife and I moved last fall, and downsized. It was time for many reasons. I had to retire due mostly to my inability to return to work, and my wife is planning to retire at the end of 2021. Where does time go? We all need someone to talk to without deflection and or denial. This site is good for that in many ways. I believe in being honest and offering realistic suggestions. I have been through a lot - treatment wise, and survived - but it wears you out both mentally and physically. I've found lately with covid 19 and all the lock downs it's been tougher to find consistent positive diversion, but today the sun is shining, and I washed the car and actually went into a couple stores to pick us some needed items. Yesterday my wife and I drove to a small town near by - just for the drive in the sun, and got an ice cream cone. Just to be out and about changes the mindset when needed. Simple stuff. Hopefully the vaccine rollout gets actually rolling - and allows for your reunion with your kids and grand kids in the USA. Can you use zoom with your computer or smart phone, or other means to visit virtually with your family? It's the way of the world these days. I hope your house sale goes through and allows you to change up your needs. It was a lot of work - but worth it. Lots of donations and we had a yard sale as well.

Let us know what you find out with the tests - and all the best.

ACH2015
Cynthia Mac
2928 Posts
Sipsi‍ , I’m reading your posts, and feeling for all you are going through.

On top of that, it sounds as though you’ve got other aspects of life “in flux” right now, too. I hope your business transition goes smoothly.

It also sounds as though it’s good that you have this place to express things that your husband isn’t able to handle. Hopefully your doctor(s) will be able to set you up with a treatment plan that will help you get through this. Do keep us posted.
+ Reply