+ Reply
Officially Discharged
josk
11 Posts
Hi all
Thought I would share my thoughts and feelings on this most supportive site.
Yesterday I had a follow-up appt with my ENT doctor at Princess Margaret Hospital (for background - I was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer stage 4 in February 2006), and was told that I would be officially discharged - i.e. no further follow-up appts required. I felt as though I had lost a part of myself, the feeling was sad and lost! Sad that I will no longer be in contact with my ENT doctor and his team, and lost that I will be missing the support given me all these years ... this team at PMH is one Amazing Team!
Guess this will take me a while to get over it --- but at same time, I am comforted in knowing that I can always reach out to the ENT team if there is a need.
Am posting this and sharing with you all ... that there is an end and a light at the end of the tunnel .... STAY STRONG!
1 Replies
josk‍ Losing that regular support can be difficult. I know I felt that way even when my cancer treatments ended. The routine was gone. I felt like I was on my own and unsupported. It's a good and bad thing. On one hand, you sort of feel like you have made enough progress that you don't have to keep doing what you were doing. On the other hand, part of you wants to be monitored more closely...just to be safe. Since you were diagnosed as Stage 4 in 2006, I am even more excited to know that you are here so many years later. I'm assuming that this might not have been how you felt when you were first diagnosed.

If you don't mind me asking, what are next steps for you? Are you going to do anything special with extra time (no appointments)?

cancertakesflight
+ Reply