Coping with depression

Coping with depression

Posted by Essjay on Jan 6, 2021 8:32 am

I saw this in my FB feed in relation to depression from COVID, but I think it works for those going through cancer treatment too...

DEPRESSION TIPS 

Shower. Not a bath, a shower. Use water as hot or cold as you like. You don’t even need to wash. Just get in under the water and let it run over you for a while. Sit on the floor if you gotta.

Moisturize everything. Use whatever lotion you like. Unscented? Bargain basement lotion? Fancy 48 hour lotion that makes you smell like a field of wildflowers? Use whatever you want, and use it all over your entire skin.

Put on clean, comfortable clothes. 

Put on your favorite underwear. Cute black lacy panties? Those ridiculous boxers you bought last christmas with candy cane hearts on the butt? Put them on.

Drink cold water. Use ice. If you want, add some mint or lemon for an extra boost. 

Clean something. Doesn’t have to be anything big. Organize one drawer of a desk. Wash five dirty dishes. Do a load of laundry. Scrub the bathroom sink. 

Blast music. Listen to something upbeat and dancey and loud, something that’s got lots of energy. Sing to it, dance to it, even if you suck at both.

Make food. Don’t just grab a choccy bar to munch. Take the time and make food. Even if it’s a baked potato. Add something special to it, like a soft boiled egg or some veggies. Prepare food, it tastes way better, and you’ll feel like you accomplished something. 

Make something. Write a short story or a poem, draw a picture, color a picture, fold origami, crochet or knit, sculpt something out of clay, anything artistic. Even if you don’t think you’re good at it. Create. 

Go outside. Take a walk. Sit in the grass (snow). Look at the clouds. Smell what’s around you. Put your hands in the dirt (or snow) and feel the soil (snow) against your skin.

Call someone. Call a loved one, a friend, a family member, call a chat service if you have no one else to call. Talk to a stranger on the street. Have a conversation and listen to someone’s voice. If you can’t bring yourself to call, text or email or whatever, just have some social interaction with another person. Even if you don’t say much, listen to them. It helps. 

Cuddle your pets if you have them/can cuddle them. Take pictures of them. Talk to them. Tell them how you feel, about your favorite movie, a new game coming out, anything. 

May seem small or silly to some, but this list keeps people alive. 

Remember that you are doing your best today. Keep holding on. 

Find something to be grateful for!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Re: Coping with depression

Posted by Trillium on Jan 6, 2021 3:15 pm

Essjay‍ - These are great! Another suggestion is to print it out and tape it somewhere you see it everyday as a reminder to chose something from the list. Now I’m going to buy myself some fancy panties. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by Boby1511 on Jan 6, 2021 11:17 pm

Essjay‍ 
Thank you for posting. It is a great list.
I know a long shower, moisturizer, and then clean comfy clothes always makes me feel better.
I don't cook.. lol. 

Posted by Whitelilies on Jan 7, 2021 4:52 pm

Essjay‍ Hello...I love your list ! I will be very busy trying all these out.....at once ! (lol)
I prefer my "Flannel - Onesie....with a back flap!"

Whitelilies

Posted by cancertakesflight on Jan 7, 2021 10:34 pm

Essjay‍ There are some great items on this list. Every time I hear music, it reminds me that I don't listen to it enough. I only listen to it if I am riding in the truck with my husband, where there really isn't space for dancing. The only time I really listen to music is when I hop on the exercise bike. Obviously, if I'm not listening to a lot of music then I am not exercising enough. Working from home, my clothes can't get much more comfortable. At this point, it might do me good to actually get dressed up for a change. It can't be good to be in pajamas all day, just because you can. 

Thanks for the list. I have to do a bit of a shake up to get me out of a routine that may not be best for me. I allow myself to go days without going outside. Another thing on your list. 

cancertakesflight
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by dster2400 on Jan 7, 2021 10:52 pm

Essjay These are all great ideas.  I like the one about music, I only listen to it when I'm driving,  but I do follow along with the songs that I can.  I find that there a several songs that I can relate too, and I feel better after having heard these particular songs.  Another idea - if you don't mind - look into trying something new that you have always wanted to do.