Let's discuss...cancer and COVID-19 part #2

Re: Let's discuss...cancer and COVID-19 part #2

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Dec 8, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing how you keep busy Cooker47‍ . It's nice to meet you 

Posted by TT53 on Dec 9, 2020 9:44 am

Lacey_Moderator‍ thank you for this topic.
I am a home body, so I am not too bad with it.  I have lots of hobbies, so if I choose to, I can keep busy all the time.  My hubby has a big shop, so he is busy as well, so we are managing.
My biggest issue is that we cannot see our family.  Our son and daughter and our grandkids.  That is our biggest impact of this.  We miss them soooooo much.  We had spent a lot of time visiting them, and now it is just phone calls.  That is so sad.
My mom,  who is in a senior home and has dementia, that one is the hardest one.  I have not been able to see her for almost 10 months.  We try zoom, but half the time she does not know who I am or she sleeps thru the session.  The family connections are the most important to me, and that is the effect of covid19 on me.
I think that we just need to be patient and the end is coming to this nightmare.  Wear masks and stay safe.
Hugs,
M...

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Dec 9, 2020 10:08 am

TT53‍ - Glad you and your hubby are managing okay with being home. I agree missing the family connections is so tough. It will be so nice to hug our loved ones again 😊. Hang in there!

Posted by Boby1511 on Dec 9, 2020 3:40 pm

Maybe we should start discussion on who will take that vaccine... I have decided no. My sister had the N1H1 vaccine and it gave her the virus which she passed onto others. It seems too early for that vaccine. Likely I’m going be on the first list but I’m declining.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Dec 10, 2020 7:51 am

Boby1511‍ , I would venture to predict that by the time the vaccine is available to the segment of society that includes people with compromised immune systems, there will be enough knowledge about the vaccine’s foibles that we’ll be able to make an informed decision. 

Every vaccine that has been developed over time - polio, measles, chicken pox, flu - has had its issues. However, each one has also had its successes, and I can’t help but wonder where we would be as a society if we didn’t have any of them, or worse, if we had them and no one took them.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Stuartm on Dec 10, 2020 1:04 pm

I am having a hard time coping with both, especially at the same time.

I stay home whenever possible, sleep lots and take Zanax.

I don't know what I would do without the Zanax, it is as important (If not more important) than my pain meds.

Life with cancer, as you know, is not easy, the uncertainty is my biggest problem!

Just out of the blue my mind starts going around in circles with uncertainty and it is a very uncomfortable feeling, bordering on a panic attack. There is only so much that "distraction" can do.

I need to smarten up and realize that I am not alone. It blows me away that MANY MANY people have it far worse than I do!

Stuart

Posted by annqb on Dec 11, 2020 9:55 am

This is really a very good and interesting topic. Our family has been diligently following protocols since covid landed and lockdowns where enforced in March. In March, my daughter’s volunteering school trip in Mexico was shortened due to possible border lockdown and she needed to self isolate for 14 days as she got sick (thank God not it was not covid) on their way back. In October,  I was diagnosed with breast cancer, just about the same time second wave is coming. As you can imagine with the surgery, follow up appointments and all other we’ve been very extra careful limiting our social interaction to our own household, I don’t even go grocery shopping anymore. 

But what should I do differently now? Last night I received an email from my daughter’s school notifying parents about school closure due to covid outbreak. Following shortly is another email with “Self Isolate Notice” because her cohort/class was exposed to someone tested positive with covid. This all happened last night, the night before my first chemo infusion treatment today! What a journey this all has been. I can’t imagine what others are going through.

Take care everyone!

Ann

Posted by Nicky01 on Dec 11, 2020 3:54 pm

Boby1511‍  I agree with you I will also be declining the covid vaccine, I did ask my doctor about it because I told him I thought they had come out with that vaccine way too soon so not enough research and he told me that with a low immune system it was better for me to wait because if I have a bad reaction to it my immune system might not be able to fight it.

Posted by Buffythevampire on Dec 12, 2020 5:58 pm

As I work in a grocery store, I am in contact with a lot of people. Some with masks, some without. But what I don't understand is we have been told since the beginning to stay 6 feet apart and yet customers don't follow that. The floor time is a 12 inch square which means 6 tile length between them and me. And yet they still invade my space. It would be different if they said "excuse me", it would give me a chance to move. 

I ended up being asked by me employer to self-isolate as I came in contact with someone while I was not wearing a mask. The only time I do not wear a mask is while I am at a meal break. I am pretty sure that it was an employee that I got too close to. While in self-isolation my mother's health has declined. I have not been able to see her, but I have been calling her a few times (at least) a day. I am allowed to leave my house tomorrow. I am a little concerned at what I will find when I visit my mom. Will it still be my mom? I know that before my self-isolation she has not been eating/drinking enough and feel that it has only gotten worse. In the past we did so much together but since her cancer diagnosis (which was diagnosed after mine and not the same type) she seems to be reaching out to my brother and others instead of me.

I know that Covid has affected my mother more then it has affect me. The organizations which she frequented are closed. The social aspect of her life has suffered.

I watched one of the webinar's "palliative care or end of life care during covid 19". Informative but leaves me asking questions, like is mom getting palliative care of end of life care? She seems to fit in both categories.

Posted by Steve dubya on Dec 19, 2020 7:09 am

Anyone else think that we should be shutting down the economy and going on lockdown until we get this CANCER pandemic figured out????  Lol.  Just venting..   have a good day everyone.

Posted by Sylviequebecbc on Dec 28, 2020 11:05 am

Hi everyone.  I stay safe by staying home, and I go for a drive once in a while to see all the holiday lights! That cheers me up. I live with my husband and our youngest daughter,  and their life has been impacted because of me. I had 2 chemo cycles done, so I have to be extra careful. I try to stay busy at home, reading, knitting, going for walks, reaching out to friends and family via zoom or other platforms. This shall pass, stay strong and safe out there! 

Posted by Nicky01 on Dec 29, 2020 9:18 am

Sylviequebecbc‍ I was reading your message and I stopped for a few moments at the phrase (  I live with my husband and our youngest daughter,  and their life has been impacted because of me.) that phrase sounded like me a few months ago because I also thought that I was responsible for all the turmoil my husband and my kids were going through and that they had to live with and when I said that to my husband he actually was surprised by my reaction and told me that I was in no way responsible for what was happening because it was the cancer that was the cause of all his worries....not me because I had never asked for this cancer. Just the fact that he had told me that was to me a reassurance that I was not responsible for all that was happening to our family and yes I did feel responsible back then but I no longer feel that way. I would not be surprised if your family would feel the same way as my husband did if they knew that you think you are somehow to blame for the impact cancer has on their lives....you are not the blame....the cancer is!! Take care!

Resilience...today is a brand new day and I will make the most of it!

Nicky

Posted by Sylviequebecbc on Dec 29, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Nicky01, thank you for your message. Yes, cancer is cancer...but Covid....since they live with me, they also need to be extra careful during this pandemic.  My youngest daughter is 19, and she is staying home to help me (what a sweetie). 

Hope you are all staying safe out there!

Posted by yorky123 on Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am

Nicky01:
Lacey_Moderator‍ My cancer is gone I am happy and grateful for that and I thought everything would go back to a somewhat normal daily living routine but that’s not happening. Just got my latest blood reports last week and my white count is still too low and they can not figure out why so I just came back from having more blood tests today, they are now looking to see if it could be lymphocytic leukemia or another kind of blood disease because of something they found within the bone marrow my doctor said that he is not sure until they do more tests, I figure he is just being thorough and he doesn’t want to miss anything!( At least I am hoping that’s what he is doing)

So to answer your question yes covid is still having a big impact on my life and my husband’s life as well. I was warned again today to avoid all contact with other people which I have been doing since March except for hospital appointments and nobody has come inside our house since March, most of my doctors appointments are done on the phone, right now I was suppose to see my doctor but It was canceled because he has contracted Covid-19 and he won’t return to work until after the holidays.....three days ago I found a lump in my left breast and I was told today that because of covid they are backed up and It looks like the request made for a mammogram won’t be done any time soon, I was suppose to have a follow up ultrasound for a lump found in my right breast in March which I had been told in august that it was nothing to worry about because it was a cyst but the doctor still wanted a three months follow up and that too won’t happen until next year because of covid. I have injured a knee because of too much walking and that’s one exercise  I had to stop for now. I need physiotherapy but it will have to wait until the blood tests results are back and one of those test will take three months before I get the results. So I know all that might sound kind of bad but I still think that I am one of the lucky ones because there are other people that are still so much worst than I am and this past year I have kind of had to learn to roll with the punches and......take it just one day at a time because for now that’s all I can do!! Have a great day!!

Posted by yorky123 on Jan 14, 2021 12:03 pm

HI,  I finished my radiation in November 2020, and I'm on Tamoxifen now.  But have had urine track infections and now bladder infections.  Had to go to emergency Dec 10, doctor seen something on scan and said I have diverticulitis and put me on double dose of antibiotics.  Did not clear it up, my family doctor don't me its bladder infection and put me on more antibiotics.   I'm  worried now, because I can't see my doctor in person and can't get through to oncologist.  WHAT SHOULD I DO?  I know doctors are so busy with covid.  But I've had cancer for 10 years before they diagnosed it in February2020, and I don't want them to miss anything, especially when emergency doctor said she seen something on scan, and that she doesn't think it bone cancer.  Is their another scan or test, they can do  to are sure it's not.  Veey frustrated and worried