Surgery Day Anxiety

Surgery Day Anxiety

Posted by AniD on Nov 12, 2020 8:15 pm

I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in May 2019, had surgery, chemotherapy and radiation and finished treatments in February 2020. Then I had a routine mammogram in September 2020 and was told I have breast cancer again, in the other breast (invasive tubular). The good news is that this new cancer is boring and doesn’t do a lot (so I’m not expecting it to be in my lymph nodes at all). I have surgery tomorrow, where I will have a wire and a sentinel lymph node injection at the Cross Cancer Institute and then a lumpectomy and lymph node biopsy at the Misericordia Hospital. Hopefully this will be the end of the breast cancer journey I’ve been on for the last 18 months! Having breast cancer twice has been difficult to process. Especially during the Covid-19 pandemic. I was so happy to have been done treatments in February before the pandemic, little did I know I wasn’t done. So I’m having a little anxiety this evening, as this is all hard to deal with. After surgery, once I’ve healed, I’ll be doing radiation for 25 sessions or 5 1/2 weeks. At least I’ve been through this before, and recently, so I know exactly what to expect. I am taking things one day at a time again. After getting all my energy back and feeling good this kind of feels like a pause again, but I’m hoping it’ll all go by fast so I can finally get on with my life. 

Re: Surgery Day Anxiety

Posted by MWI on Nov 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Sounds like a strong fighter. I wish you a very good luck. Lots of prayers. 

Posted by Yuliya on Nov 12, 2020 11:16 pm

AniD‍  I love your positive attitude! Good luck with the surgery. I wish you an excellent pathology report, speedy recovery and may cancer never ever come across your life again.

Posted by MCoaster on Nov 13, 2020 1:09 am

AniD‍    Thinking of you tomorrow.  

Lots of deep breaths and know that we understand and are always here for you.

When you feel able please let us know how you are.

Healing Hugs.

MCoaster

Posted by ashcon on Nov 13, 2020 9:01 am

AniD
I'm glad to hear that this time, the cancer is "boring", but having cancer is never boring! 

Sending you the same amount of support and love and caring as if this was your first brush with this stupid disease.
Keep us posted on how you are doing, and how the surgery goes. 

How is your network of support doing? How are they holding up? 
Some people say they find the support they receive is less for "round 2". Are you finding that? Or are they all still by your side? 
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Runner Girl on Nov 13, 2020 9:07 am

AniD‍ ,

Wishing you well today with your surgery.  Hopefully this "boring" cancer will remain just that and be removed without incident.

When you're up to it let us know how you are doing.

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by elle29 on Nov 13, 2020 9:47 am

Hi I am Elle29 Sounds like some Android eh 🦾  In a biofeedback study in one of those University events , we were actually able to control our response physiologically by thinking  of something pleasant . Seeing the needle on the graph respond . Like prayers go up and blessings come down .
Meditating on this , of pleasant thoughts or memes of an internal video in your mind , behind your eye lids while dozing off . Like a place , a persons , or pets a time as a child or teen for you .breathing deep exhaling can relieve all anxiety , tensions . Like watching waves on a beach . I just had my first surgery and surprised how great I felt afterwards, no pain , visiting family the 2nd watching Disney showing my covered incision . The teens compared scars saying welcome to the club . " Now I just saw my grandmothers boob . " 
So hope when u read this bring something of laughter and JoY : pre , during no post surgery to return to seeing those beloved your life  .Wake  up lighter  with the Humming Bird(  I called my cancer ) that flew away . And the doctors were Shammons in full costume lol .Or Like cuddling  and talking to your cats 🐈 🐱 maybe at surgery dreams  .What colour are they and what are their favourite things to do even at their age , a source of laughter and comfort .and purring , purr so soft .  Wishing u the best now and home soon .Sent from the Island by the Salish Sea , Elle29 

Posted by Whitelilies on Nov 13, 2020 8:43 pm

AniD‍ Hello......out with the "boring"....and "in" with the New and Improved You!
Soon......this will be a completed chapter....in the book of Life!!

Heal......

When you catch your breath......please let us know how you are feeling...

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by AniD on Nov 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Thanks everyone. I’m always met with such kindness and compassion. Doing well, surgery went well. On some strong pain killers now, so that helps. I’ve been watching a lot of Disney movies today. Amazing how good these movies are when you’re on drugs! Lol. So far so good, just tired from the general anesthesia. Going to get a good nights sleep and see how I feel in the morning. Going to try not to overdo it like I usually do this time around. The hard part is over, now time to heal. Thanks again, this is such a wonderful community!

Posted by Bev on Nov 16, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm glad to hear your surgery went well.  Take care of yourself and take things slowly.
All the best to you in the days ahead