5 radiation treatments left

5 radiation treatments left

Posted by IamJay on Oct 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Whitelilies‍ , Elsie13‍ , AnneMaya‍ 

I just wanted to say thanks for the support along this part of my journey. I know there are others who have offered help too but I can't seem to remember everyone....
im done with the Brachytherapy and thank goodness it's moving farther into the past so that I can let go of that trauma. I'm done 10/15 of the external radiation treatments and now have a 3 day long weekend.
I have been feeling pretty good and a bit cocky about how well I've managed having my bladder 3/4 full to a  perfect level for the radiation and for the way I've managed the diarrhea from radiation but......last night I was hit flat by a new round of it that turned me inside out. (Not literally!) Thank goodness for imodium. Just can't take my guard down right now!
I got really discouraged because I know that the last week and two weeks after radiation will be worse for side effects.  I'm afraid to take too much imodium in case I end up constipated but will try to find the balance. I'll really simplify my diet and my life even more this week and hope to coast through to the end of this.
Trying hard not to think about what immunotherapy will do to me but it's hard not to be scared about those side effects too.
Any practical suggestions you have for these next few weeks would be very welcome!
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Re: 5 radiation treatments left

Posted by Whitelilies on Oct 10, 2020 1:38 pm

IamJay‍ Hello
I wish you the BEST for this journey....and yes we ALL march forward together!
RE; Radiation.....and diarrhea/following....I Get It!  I Got It!
Stick to BRAT "diet".....Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, Toast.....lots of water.....Yes too much immodium just might plug things up......not good at present time....perhaps, to give you confidence, wear a bit of "Protective Gear".......NOT a mask, but a Pad/Liner, OR pull out the big girl needs; Depends !
This way you are able to move about....go for  a walk, and just feel less of a need to BOLT to washroom.

I recall a Radiation Technician who told me (Don't pee on this table !)....see saw my discomfort, as I too, had to have a full bladder B4 radiation session.....discomfort to the max!

Keep sharing, Keep posting....

Warmly,
Whitelilies

Lillian

Posted by Elsie13 on Oct 10, 2020 10:14 pm

IamJay‍ , I had 25 external radiation treatments, or 5 weeks. I remember after 2 weeks, the technicians had scheduled a nutritionist appointment for me, even before I reported the diarrhea.  (They know that this is when it's likely to occur. ) The diet I was given really helped.  (Similar to the things Whitelilies‍ mentioned). 
   It might be like this, but of course check with your medical team before going on any diet: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/low-fiber-diet/art-20048511
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by IamJay on Oct 11, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks Elsie13‍ and Whitelilies‍ 
these are good suggestions. I haven't spoken to the nutritionist but my doctor made some dietary suggestions. I'm just keeping things very simple for now.
The challenge might be how to get to my last 5 appointments without incident! They are at 8 am and it's a 45 drive to get there! I guess I'll look into the bigger pads just in case! Can't wait till this is all over and I can just stay close to home till it gets better or more predictable.
thanks for your understanding.
Judy

Posted by Rom828 on Oct 11, 2020 8:29 pm

I had similar issues starting after about two weeks all the way to the end. My last and 35th treatment was last week. I found a combination of white rice and and plain probiotic yogurt help with my bowels. I was told it would get better about two weeks after treatments finished. We will see !

Posted by Elsie13 on Oct 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Rom828‍  Glad to see you posting here in the forums. Thirty five radiation treatments - I can hardly imagine that.  You must be very tired. 
Yes, I  hope you will gradually be able to get back to a normal diet. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by IamJay on Oct 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Oh Rom828‍ and Elsie13‍ 
you both have had soooo many treatments. My stomach turns for you.
Before my external radiation I had Brachytherapy so not sure the impact of that but I can't imagine how you made it through to the end. I've been bargaining today with my partner to not go back! I know I have to but I had a poopy day today. Finally got it under control with imodium and feel much better tonight. I slept lots and nibbled and sipped as much as I could.
I plan to call the cancer center pharmacy tomorrow to see if it's ok to take a little bit of imodium every day just so I can keep this diarrhea under control for the trips to radiation.
I took Whitelilies‍ advice and had my partner buy some incontinence pads to give me some added confidence.
Seriously though, how did you get through to the end of 25/35 treatments? Mine is targeted to my Vaginal, vulva and nearby lymph nodes so my Vaginal opening and anus are raw and bleeding. I'm going to ask for some flamazine cream to treat the area. Glaxal Base helps to keep the area protected from the air and from chafing but I want something to help it to heal faster.
its so nice to have others to chat with who understand. Sorry Rom for oversharing! I just now realized that you are a man😁.
All the best to you for a very speedy recovery so that you can get on with and enjoy your retirement!
Thanks For the support
judy

Posted by Elsie13 on Oct 11, 2020 10:11 pm

IamJay‍  Oh dear, that 'raw and bleeding' sounds like no fun at all. With me, I had the hysterectomy, 6 weeks rest, the chemo then 4 weeks rest, then the radiation.  So it was OK. So when I think about breast radiation, for example, I imagine the radiation beam being very focused, directed at the tumour.
  When I had my radiation, there was no tumour.  It was to clear up any little nasty clumps of bad cells left floating around.  So I don't know how to explain it medically, but my radiation was more diffuse than what many people get?