Hair regrowth - to shave, sugar or not

Hair regrowth - to shave, sugar or not

Posted by lori22 on Jul 22, 2020 10:44 am

Hi, I started chemo for triple positive breast cancer on February 6, 2020 to May 14, 2020.  Now I am getting treatments of Herceptin every 3 weeks.  My hair has started to grow back on my head. YES, YES YES.  As for the rest of my body.  All of the sudden I notice that peach fuzz everywhere and I never noticed it was gone.  What I am wondering is with shaving my legs - the hair is growing back very blonde.  I am worried that if I shave it, will it come back dark?  My eyebrows are almost back, but definitely need some help.  Is plucking or sugaring better?  I am hoping maybe someone else has once had these questions too.  

Re: Hair regrowth - to shave, sugar or not

Posted by Essjay on Jul 22, 2020 1:31 pm

lori22‍ i too have found much of the regrowth to be blonde or white (in the case of my head). Most odd thing was the peach fuzz on my face. It kind of forgot to stop growing! I ended up shaving my face which was weird, but only the once. It’s behaved since. I have fewer annoying ‘beard’ and ‘moustache’ hairs Now and they are usually white. The rest of my body hair is patchy - the lady garden was absent for a long time and is no much now (15 months post chemo), and the eyebrows are thinner than before, and I have fewer rogue ones, but I pluck when I need to.

I would say, do what feels comfortable for you - if the blonde leg hairs don’t bother you, why not leave them and see what happens. They will fall out in due course and be replaced so this might just be temporary. If they bug you, shave them off.

It’s funny how we don’t really notice the hair falling out from our bodies, but we sure notice it coming back!

Enjoy your hairiness! Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 22, 2020 1:56 pm

I just took it all in stride. I was totally bald all over during Chemo and took almost 8weeks after last infusion before my hair began the peach fuzz stage. My underarms and legs and brows took longer and due to it being winter/spring I skipped removing hair until absolutely necessary.  I have an autoimmune disease which chemo affected even worse than usual. So I was glad to see no infected hair follicles. I wasn't about to aggravate my skin any more than needed. 

Posted by lori22 on Jul 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Thank you for your advice. I think I will
just let things grow as they are and play it one day at a time. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 23, 2020 1:16 am

lori22‍ I had that peach fuzz on my face too some was light in color but some was dark. I used a shaver (as seen on tv type flawless) but only the once. I still get the odd chin whisker but it get's plucked as soon as I notice it.  It's back to normal now. My legs and pits I don't notice as much hair as I did before chemo, so I don't have to shave as much anymore (yeah). My one eyebrow still isn't the same amount as hair as before but the other one is. The hair on my head is a little darker then before with the odd grey like before and definitely curlier. I am losing my hair a little (notice it when I shower) but I think it's a side-effect from Letrozole. 

Posted by WarriorWoman on Aug 3, 2020 12:06 am

My hair (on my head) is a totally different texture to what I have known for my entire life!

I tried to shave the sides for a mohawk, because I thought, this is probably the only time this would ever happen. My husband didn't want to disturb the new hair that was growing out too much, so I had a faux hawk....He was right. It was much better to just leave it be. It's not been a full year yet, since it has regrown and it's still growing.

Regarding all the other hair, I used to use hair removal creams, but won't be continuing with such harsh chemicals going forward. Will try waxing for the first time in my life soon...God help me! 

That blonde peach fuzz even happened to me, a Black girl! I had sideburns at one point!...lol...but eventually, it all settled down.

Posted by Lister on Aug 4, 2020 6:10 am

As I know, shaving don't influence on the color of hairs on your legs. The sun or stress may affect them, but not shaving. So, I believe you may choose any way to get rid of your hairs.