Human Resilience

Human Resilience

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 11, 2020 1:14 am

I recently read of a woman who wrote a book called How Cancer Healed Me. After reading about that it occurred to me that perhaps there might be a place on this forum to focus on that somehow. For both cancer patients and their caregivers, this seems to me to be an essential area to focus on. I thought I would share thoughts, quotes and a few pictures to help sharpen our focus on whats important. After losing my wife in April; what I will post here will reflect some of whats been keeping my head above water so to speak. I hope people will find some encouragement in this.

b0197e559310cd46e11c1c20cea235a2-huge-im

“Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before. You can fight it, you can do nothing but scream about what you've lost, or you can accept that and try to put together something that's good.”
― Elizabeth Edwards

I have been amazed lately at how true all this has been in my own life.
________________ "there is always a little Light"

Re: Human Resilience

Posted by Brighty on Jun 11, 2020 7:44 am

Very thought provoking  as always CentralAB‍ .    Most humans will show resiliance in some form or another.        Yours has really amazed me.  I think  it partly has to do with personaliy , inner strength,  willpower, self diciplane...all of which you have .    Some people s hardships brings out their inner strength and they use the challenge to better themselves.    If we didn't have  challenges we would never learn anything.     I think also to be reliant,  you have to have purpose in your life, or meaning.   Sometimes your job gives you purpose, a hobby, perhaps religion.    Something to fall back on when tragety strikes.    After Dan went , my purpose  was Vinnie was my job.    Now I have no job due to covid so I have to find a new purpose.    We need purpose to function.      I'm so glad that you were able to find such a beautiful  home in Jasper and you are finding some joy in life.    This shows resiliance on your part, you are able to be adaptable , and stronger after everything  you have gone  through.     You deserve all the happiness  in the world.  You have all the character traits I truly admire.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 12, 2020 2:18 am

Brighty‍ As far as I can see, you turn your pain & grief into caring & compassion for others.

77e59887cbf31226455821d5ece224ae-huge-re

Posted by Rayline on Jun 12, 2020 10:56 pm

CentralAB‍ thank you for your beautiful photos!

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 13, 2020 8:27 pm

As I experience the people on this forum; I am continually amazed at the resilience that shows through. Many here have been an inspiration to me in my own caregiving, and grief journey. The journey, for me is filled with winding roads and dark valleys; yet light in every cloud. As I stood last night, looking out over this mountain and the mighty Athabasca River, coming down from the mountain glaciers, (Columbia Icefields), tirelessly carving it's path through the wilderness, its hard for me to think of anything more powerful; except, perhaps, human resilience.

4d755309bdc68e7165ca024b04f34242-huge-im
22e989fb7367bd1d168b5c04b42f8e5a-huge-re

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jun 13, 2020 8:58 pm

CentralAB‍ 
It is so true that we learn a lot about life with every challenge we face. I know that I have learned a lot and am still learning about the dynamics of life itself.
We grow as human beings and are able to see and understand some of the difficuties that other people are faced with in their life.
I know that when I comment in the this Community it is not from book knowledge but personal experience.
We become or at least I have become more empathtic.
Human resilience is seen when people survive the cruelest of situations. 
Resilience is harder the older you get but it can happen with the right support and the inner will to survive.
Your pictures are always amazing and remind us of the beauty that surrounds us.
Keep your pictures and your posts coming they are an inspiration for me and I am sure for other people.
Thank you for sharing
Speedystill 

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 16, 2020 11:59 am

236b20aef6b2ab5bd81cc39ceaa8690d-huge-ex
One of the dictionary definitions for "excellence" is taken from Word Web dictionary, and reads as: "An outstanding feature; something in which something or someone excels," and it seems to me I see a lot of this excellence here on Cancer Connection forum. The resilience of people in adversity is everywhere here.

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 17, 2020 1:14 pm

241f6deb6ce65502be8a2744922ca134-huge-im
Einstein also said:

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

This is the true definition of resilience, and IMO, there are many examples of this kind of thing here at Cancer Connection.

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 20, 2020 11:29 pm

042f4aae4851b8d196f67b77fc25be0f-huge-im

Posted by Trillium on Jun 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Beautiful photos, CentralAB‍ . Thanks for sharing them! Brings joy to my day. This is such a good topic, resilience. Every time you fall, get back up - is the essence of resilience to me.

Hope everyone has a peaceful Father’s Day and summer solstice day.
“Every day I wake up and decide today I’m going to love my life.” Carrie Hamilton

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 21, 2020 2:19 pm

Thank you so much VioletFlower‍ I appreciate that feed back and its a major blessing to know that my photography is blessing others as well. The last pic above is intended as a tribute to summer solstice, as seen by that gorgeous sun back-lighting the lake. For Fathers Day I got online and ordered me a small wood-lathe to use in my work shop!

VioletFlower:
Beautiful photos, CentralAB‍ . Thanks for sharing them! Brings joy to my day. This is such a good topic, resilience. Every time you fall, get back up - is the essence of resilience to me.

Hope everyone has a peaceful Father’s Day and summer solstice day.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jun 21, 2020 7:58 pm

CentralAB‍ 
You continue to inspire me with your pictures.
Einstein had it right.
A respected Canadian Author Malcolm Gladwell in one of his books said to become an expert at anything you need to practice for 10,000 hours. This would include people like hockey legend  Wayne Gretzky or famous piano player Lang Lang.
These people know that they have to fail over and over again until they get it right.
Being exceptional requires a lot of time and hard work.
Cancer Survivors know that the journey is filled with hills and valleys, the fair days, the not so good days, the emotional challenges I could go on. For us the fortunate ones we reach a point where we have become different in so many ways. And as we all know the journey never really ends.
Here is where I stop and take a minute for those who put up the good fight but were unable to overcome this terrible desease.
My heart goes out to them and their families.

VioletFlower‍ 
You have a great way of putting this in one sentence.
Short and to the point.
Love it
Speedystill 

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 22, 2020 3:00 pm

SpeedyStill‍ 

I read with despair Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours. If I paint watercolour 7  hours a day, 5 days a week, it would take me three years to reach the time.   I'm not sure if I have the time to do that. So I just do what I can and take encouragement from the small improvements that I see. I think it is the journey more than the end goal of being a master.

CentralAB‍ 

I have come to take your beautiful photos for granted. I see them and think - another beautiful one. And I still haven't painted the early ones that I grabbed to try and reproduce. Please don't take my silence as lack of enjoyment. In this one I am one of the silent lurkers.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 22, 2020 5:09 pm

WestCoastSailor‍  "Silent Lurkers" are an essential component! So NP there. 😀

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm

136f58038f1a644dafd6902a6db14e11-huge-im
A different attitude is sometimes needed if we are to achieve resilience. Our attitude is at times revealed by our words, but sometimes by our actions. An attitude of indifference or resignation to a pre-determined fate will drag us down. We will wish for resilience, but not achieve it. My life has to change; and I am the only one who can do that kind of change. No one can do it for me nor tell me just how I should do it. The best impression I can give everyone, is the impression I give of myself. I think that's why the verse says: "be of good courage." (Deut 31:6).

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jun 22, 2020 7:28 pm

CentralAB‍ 
Another great picture.
I love what you say "My life has to change; and I am the only one who can do that kind of change. No one can do it for me nor tell me just how I should do it."
Change does come from within.
You are a wise man and provide a lot of insightful information.
Speedystill 

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks, SpeedyStill‍ I don't feel quite as wise as Id like to today because I have been digging up sod by hand and building raised flower bed things for the yard here. My back said to me: "I remember doing that a reeeeely long time ago." lol

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Earlier today, I received an affirmation from a friend which turned out to be a major epiphany, well for me anyway. I thought I would describe the message I got and the conclusion I reached through the enclosed photograph below. While I have mentioned resilience as having to come from within; it can be equally true that we sometimes run out of steam, and can then draw on someone else's resilience. Accordingly, it can be called "bearing one another's burdens." I see a lot of that here, and it is truly inspiring. resilience is just another word, unless we do something about it. One of my long-time mentors, if you will is Anne Frank, and so I enclose this picture with a quote from her:

caaf5e2cf0fb97cfdd11c8a56c613e5b-huge-im

Posted by CentralAB on Jun 25, 2020 11:21 am

This video I did of all the birds I photographed one year, seems even more appropriate today, and for this topic of Human resilience." It is truly an amazing subject to contemplate; and especially as we look at the many lessons in nature about human resilience.

Posted by CentralAB on Jul 3, 2020 9:58 pm

Well, I just had to say something. But this will be it until Wed next week. Am enjoying a much needed break from the daily grind:

90409cf0ecdab5db04b2589d93c06ea7-huge-_m
Resilience is experienced in the quiet moments...

Posted by CentralAB on Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Resilience, isnt about being "strong." Its not even about knowing what to do or not to do. Its simply finding what refreshes your soul. No one else's. I found my little Eden about 20 km from the small town where I live, in the middle of the wilderness. And I come here now to just sit.  Sit and watch. Sit and watch and think. Sit and watch and think, and listen to my soul, and what I am surrounded with, what I want to be filled with. And then, I walk away refreshed.

11aea51c91b99dce67afebc07866a489-huge-_m

Posted by MCoaster on Jul 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Okay CentralAB‍    How did you know that I am feeling very unresilient (if there is such a word) today?      I feel a little better already.
Thank you.
MCoaster

CentralAB
:
Resilience, isnt about being "strong." Its not even about knowing what to do or not to do. Its simply finding what refreshes your soul. No one else's. I found my little Eden about 20 km from the small town where I live, in the middle of the wilderness. And I come here now to just sit.  Sit and watch. Sit and watch and think. Sit and watch and think, and listen to my soul, and what I am surrounded with, what I want to be filled with. And then, I walk away refreshed.

11aea51c91b99dce67afebc07866a489-huge-_m

Posted by CentralAB on Jul 17, 2020 12:46 pm

005a998745f30dd5d19d5f0f349c324b-huge-_d

Posted by Trillium on Jul 17, 2020 9:45 pm

The bird video is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing this.
“Every day I wake up and decide today I’m going to love my life.” Carrie Hamilton

Posted by Missytigger on Jul 18, 2020 1:11 pm

My name is Audrey Ethier from Saskatchewan. I have not been able to sign in until now when I responded to this post... Not sure why its so difficult.. Anyway It's my husband who is on his second attack of lung cancer. We both had it 6 and 7 years ago and thought we had recovery with surgery. All was well until 5 weeks ago when it was found in both of his lungs and because of deadly Covid, he is on oral chemo now after many calls to and from the Cancer Clinic in Saskatoon, He has had a few side effects which we have been able to deal with so far, but it's the emotional rollercoster which is the most difficult for us both. Would like to be on a chat with someone who is going through the similar feelings, etc. I understood when I signed up with Cancer connection that I would be able to do that easily. Can anyone help? I am 80 yrs old doing pretty well except for adhesions and nerve pain from the surgery to remove my tumor from my right lung.6 yrs ago. It was necessary to remove a rib as well in order to remove the tumor.