Trouble Sleeping?

Trouble Sleeping?

Posted by MCoaster on Mar 28, 2020 2:06 pm

Hope everyone has resources to deal with the emotional roller coaster which is cancer and which is now a rougher ride than ever because of the virus.  

When I have difficulty sleeping, which is most nights, I listen on my IPad to BBC Radio 4 and 2 nights ago they reviewed  a podcast called Get Sleepy getsleepy.com   .  It uses mindfulness to introduce a series of stories which are read in a calm way.   I thought others might also find it useful to have in their toolbox.

Kind thoughts.

Margaret

Oh, the BBC is The British Broadcasting Corporation or Beeb for short.

Re: Trouble Sleeping?

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 28, 2020 2:59 pm

MCoaster‍ 

Thanks for the tip. I have a white noise app I use that I find helpful. My favourites are the crashing waves and the campfire - which when I think about it is kind of strange to be lulled to sleep by fire but it works :)

Lianne

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 28, 2020 7:30 pm

I find listening to calm music helps me sleep. There even is music for sleeping.
I have been listening to a lot of Disney music through the day.
Its reminds me of the wonderful times I had with my children and my grandchildren.
They even played Disney music from my childhood.
I remember reading all the wonderful books with my children.
The stories are ageless.
Sleep I find is a process which starts with your morning.
The mind has a way of accumulating thoughts into our head only too bring them too the surface when our day ends.
Today is my day tomorrow is a new day.
I filled my day with good thoughts.
Speedystill 

Posted by MCoaster on Mar 28, 2020 9:28 pm

SpeedyStill‍ Yes Speedy, music is almost like a time traveling machine.   I hear certain music and I get a vivid picture of a place, person or feeling from the past.  

Utube has lots of music which I also listen to get to sleep.  It is original music so I have no memories associated with it.   Do you find if you fall asleep listening to music from the past you dream of those times?

Sleep well.

Margaret

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 29, 2020 7:55 am

MCoaster‍ 
If  I feel unloved I listen to a lot of music about love. This brings back memories of when I know that I was loved.
When I feel depressed I listen to uplifting music that helps with my negitive thoughts by replceing them with positive thoughts.
And yes every song I listen to has to take me to a happy place in my mind. 
I am not sure the  music helps with my dreams because when I am asleep my subconscious mind takes over with no self control.
My reaffirming music ends once the short playlist is over.
Do my techniques work on me?
No not completely I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning and could not get back to sleep for the pain. It was too soon to take my pain medication so like usual when this happens I get out of bed and work around the Condo doing small jobs. I also take many brakes.
I get to 6 a.m.  and then take my pain meds and have breakfast.
This does not mean that my techniques do not work for me, they do because I know things get a lot worse if I don't control what I feed my mind on a regular basis
We have a choice give up and do nothing or do the best that we can with whatever were have to work with.
I chose living and not giving up no matter what.
Speedystill 

Posted by Brighty on Mar 29, 2020 8:04 am

SpeedyStill‍ .....you will always be loved .   ... we love you as an important  member of this community.     Never forget that .   
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Essjay on Mar 29, 2020 9:20 am

I’ve been using an army trick...

Count backwards from 10,000 in your head. It’s really hard and the brain gives up and you sleep. I haven’t got beyond 99,987 yet...

Essjay x
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 29, 2020 11:52 am

Essjay‍ 
At that point in the evening I think that I would get confused with
the numbers. I can count back from 10 to 1 so I guess I pass the geriatric test. lol
Tonight I will try counting backward from 10,000 and see however I do
Always Gerry

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Mar 29, 2020 2:05 pm

I picked up an app when I was working night shifts a couple of years ago called iSleep for my phone. I never made it to the end of the meditations... There is even one for the middle of the night and the monkey brain.

I also wanted to mention that I serendipitiously discovered something that I knew about me but had forgotten. For a few weeks a couple of months ago I was wrestling with waking at 3:00am and not being able to back to sleep without the use of my sleep app. Irritating as a bad itch. Anyway. I turned down the heat in my bedroom and presto slept through the night. I experimented a bit. (Okay I forgot to turn it down one night.) That night I was back to my restless sleep. Simple thing that made all the difference in the world. You might think in my old age I would have figured it out. But not so.

I'm sure you all know about making the room completely dark - another night shift trick. And avoid screens for at least an hour before sleep. An old fashioned book works well.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 30, 2020 8:49 am

SpeedyStill‍ , I also use guided relaxation apps. One of my favourites is Yoga Nidra - a free download for your phone. This morning, I pulled out my old first-generation iPod and listened to a book called 101 Power Thoughts. Dr. Andrew Weil and Jon Kabat-Zinn did a book called Meditation for Optimum Health - you can download just the 23 minute meditation from Audible.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Chichimus on Mar 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I listen to old radio plays from the 30s and 40s.  I find they let me doze off.  Oddly enough I also listen to them during the day when puttering around or driving and no such effect.

It is good to check with your Dr or Pharmacist as some of your meds might be interfering with sleep.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Love the music from every generation. Some great melodies and words have come out of the past. This music has been brought back by several artists to be recorded again and again.
Great voices that are three of my favorites Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis.
There are more too many to list them all.
What better way to take our minds into dreams of happiness especially in the difficult times we are in now.
Come with me, the time is yours to spend.
Speedystill 

Posted by Mammamia on Jun 5, 2020 3:51 pm

I can’t find any relief it’s been 6 weeks and counting dr gave me sleeping pills mine is hormonal related what can I do drs won’t give me hormones . I was sleeping great with them before my cancer diagnosis. I feel miserable 

Posted by pomlady on Jun 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi Mammamia, I am feeling the same way, stressed out to the max and a nervous wreck to be honest.
I am taking anxiety pills and sometimes a sleeping pill to get to sleep too.
Had sleep problems before getting diagnosised with cancer but now it is far worse.
You are not alone, sending hugs your way and to everyone else on the board.

Mammamia
:
I can’t find any relief it’s been 6 weeks and counting dr gave me sleeping pills mine is hormonal related what can I do drs won’t give me hormones . I was sleeping great with them before my cancer diagnosis. I feel miserable