Walking on the Edge

Walking on the Edge

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Something that I haven't mentioned to anyone yet because I thought it was being tough.
Have you ever had a coach send you back into the game even though you were hurting.
This has been me for the past 10 days. I am both the coach and the player.
I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. Poured the water into the glass and stood by the counter to drink it.
As most of you know I have a bad hernia on my right side and bad Arthritis in my back bone. I stood there for a few minutes and didn't my right leg that goes numb all the time turn to rubber. I fell with a clud on my butt and twisted my leg. I lay on the floor for 10 minutes, not sure how long but I was concerned that I may have broken something. After a time I got up and could support my body with no severe pain however my butt and leg hurt bad.
I hobbled back into bed and finely went back to sleep. In the morning it still hurt bad however with a cane I had purchased some days before I could get around. I could not stand up for very long at a time.
Couldn't go to the hospital, couldn't see my Doctor so the coach said we need you, you have to suck it up and get back in the game. There is no backup player.
Two days ago when I got out of the shower I noticed this black and blue mark creaping to the front of my leg. I knew I had hurt something because it had been really bothering me.
Its like when I see blood I turn squeamish. When I was younger I gave blood however each time I had to turn my head and I always felt weak after. What is that bruise doing there? Then I looked at the back of my leg and I was ready to call for help. Coming to my senses I called my separated wife who happens to be a long standing nurse. No panic just a badly bruised thigh muscle with a bunch of blood vessels broken. This was the blood findings its way down my leg. I said recovery in a few days? Why no she said think of weeks. Is this my life for that much time?
It was a busy day today inside the Condo a lot of time playing hide and go seek with my cane.
My swollen leg is up on two large pillows and I am exhausted. My daughter picked up some needed groceries today left them on the front steps waved and drove away.
Oh I did yell out to her "thank you" and she answered with "no problem".  We can't get close to the old guy in case we drop a Virus near him. 
Since it was the time of the month to fill my cupboards there were a lot of groceries. Didn't she text me a You Tube Video on the proper process to decontaminat groceries. Looked around for help but being isolated means you have to do everything yourself. It was late in the day and I did not look forward to wiping off every surface with an Antibacterial product 99.9% of germs killed what about that 0.1%.
Anyway it was done and now I had to make my own supper a perfect salad (so I say) and don't forget to wash all your salad ingredients before cutting them up to go in the bowl.
Well now its 9:35 PM or so I have to think about going to sleep, wait I haven't brushed my teeth keep those pearly whites as log as you can. 
Enough said two bum legs nothing I can't handle.
Speedystill 

Re: Walking on the Edge

Posted by Brighty on Mar 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Yikes SpeedyStill‍ !!!! Omg I'm so sorry for the ordeal you had to go through! ! Are you ok? Im so glad that you were able to talk  to your ex wife who is a nurse.   CentralAB‍  is also a nurse.    I hope you are recovering  ok Speedy take it easy my friend.     We love you.    
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Rayline on Mar 25, 2020 10:59 pm

SpeedyStill‍ hi Speedy so sorry that your leg gave out and you fell. Darn it just not what you need right now. Take it easy tomorrow. Sending you hugs❤️❤️.

Posted by CentralAB on Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Hello SpeedyStill‍ Im sorry to hear of your troubles there. That would be really hard. As we humans get older, our muscles, tendons, etc do injure more easily, and take much longer to recover from same. IDK what province you are in but here we can call something called "health Link" and a registered Nurse will talk with people over the phone, and this, from what I understand, really cuts back on the need for hospital or doctor visits. Do you have such a place to call where you live? It might be worth calling them to see if they can offer any advice. If you are able to take Ibuprofen or some such remedy for the aches, that may help, but the other thing for injuries like that is ice, or something really cold like a bag of frozen peas, etc. Normally, its advisable to apply cold like that for 20 minutes at a time, with 30 minute breaks between applications. You might go through a lot of frozen peas, but you can always steam them and eat them for supper for double on your money. You are in my prayers, just stop losing that cane please! 😀
________________ "there is always a little Light"

Posted by Brighty on Mar 26, 2020 8:10 am

SpeedyStill‍  yes I remember when you fell last time.... hey... nothing wrong with giving in to your aging. .. means you are still here to be able to age!!! We want you HERE!!!!!! 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 26, 2020 9:44 am

Brighty‍ 
Its not the firsrt time that I have fallen. That's why I purchsed the Cane before this last fall. Isn't it the way, forgot to take the cane with me.
Since I have become better at using the cane.
When I bought it I was second guessing my decision.  I hadn't fallen in months so do I really need it. And there is the fact that you are giving in to your aging.
Speedystill 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am

SpeedyStill‍ , your exchange with Brighty‍ about the cane reminded me of the conversation I had with my Mom when her older sister chose to sell her home and move into a senior’s residence. Mom was quite aghast that this was all happening, and I said, “I look at it this way, Mom: when I get to her age, I hope to have the grace to know that I can’t take care of my home anymore and need to move along to where I have support with living.” 

So, if you need a cane, and you bought a cane and are using the cane, you are showing grace and support for your own well-being.

I keep a bag of frozen peas in my freezer just for instances such as yours. Lord knows, I’m not going to EAT frozen peas!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Wendy Tea on Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am

SpeedyStill‍  I am sorry for all your challenges but not only are you a warrior but you are able to share your feelings and thought processes. You set a great example that we can only hope to emulate. As I age I find myself taking extra time when I stand, holding onto counters and tables when I start moving until I am sure I have found my sea legs!
Thanks all for the laugh about frozen peas. When my son was a child, we had a dedicated bag of peas in the freezer and it was only used for bumps and bruises! 
Stay safe, stay home, and physically isolate.  
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by a3a on Mar 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Gosh, Speedy, you didn't need that, hey.  Hope you will be just fine in time.  :)

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 29, 2020 7:21 am

My leg is starting to feel better. The pain is subsiding and it is easier to walk.
Time heals everything, so l have been told.
Except my back pain and my
​other pains I just have too live with.
I keep moving forward 
Gerry