COVID - 19 Repercussions?

COVID - 19 Repercussions?

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Our Prime Minister was speaking at around 1:40 today, from isolation.  This Covid 19 is really serious now!

Our son generally orders groceries on-line every second Sunday, for next day delivery.  So he ordered yesterday, but instead of a Monday delivery, his items won't be delivered until Friday. 

I was supposed to go the the dentist  for a couple of fillings this Wed. Mar. 18, but I got a call saying this was postponed until Apr. 1st. Nobody likes having fillings done, but I wanted to get it over with!

My husband has Tinnitus, (ringing in the ear) and he has gone almost deaf in one ear, since last week. Our ear nose and throat doc is out of the country for a month. We think he goes to Florida every March. So hubby made an appointment at the hearing aid clinic anyway, for a hearing test. That also was supposed to be Mar. 18, but they phoned to cancel that, and my husband should phone in about two weeks to reschedule. 

The libraries are closed.  The gym is closed.  My three times a week gym schedule is sort of what my life revolves around, even although that gym is not my favourite, it's easy to get to. 

What's going on with all of you? What are the Covid -19 repercussions in your life? 

In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Re: COVID - 19 Repercussions?

Posted by Brighty on Mar 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Elsie13‍  good topic.   Everyones lives seem turned upside down now.    I won't be working  for at least 3 weeks .... and there are rumours are they might close schools until September.     Basically  no finances coming in unless I get EI.   That means I can't make my mortgage  payments  or buy groceries.      No food for Vinnie.   I will buy him food before I buy myself  food.         My building  closed the gym and pool which is how I worked off my stress.    That's done now.   All my appointments  are cancelled although  my grief  counceller  will talk to me by phone .      It's just awful  for everyone.      

​​​​​​

Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Laika57 on Mar 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Same here. I had been looking forward to an african violet show to get my mind off things, but the club demographics, and general caution had us cancel the event.
I'm not very social by nature, but the meetings were my way of forcing myself to go out into the world.
I haven't gone since my husbands diagnosis, now I expect I'll be a home body for a while longer.
Grocery shopping isn't an outing anymore, but a threat to his health.
I was overjoyed today to find dish soap. Still looking for rubbing alcohol or alcohol swabs for my husbands insulin injections. Not that he cares, though he should.
Heck, my allergies are kicking in, and I am worried to be in the same room, just in case...
oh, and yesterday I remembered I had a step-grandmother in Italy. kind of a screwed up situation. We're basically strangers, but I worry about her anyhow... 
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Cinderella59 on Mar 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Brighty‍ hi I just got a delivery of pasta with meat sauce and cheese. It’s already frozen so if u want to come over tomorrow I’ll bake it then you can come and I’ll give you some to reheat if you like. 
pls let me know. Call me. 
Thanks 
cindy 

Posted by Brighty on Mar 16, 2020 7:10 pm

Awww that is so nice of you Cindy! Cinderella59‍ !  I have my phone session  of grief councelling  tomorrow  then I'm going to HR block do to my income tax.... they are still open.. then I'll give you a buzz.     

Posted by Brighty on Mar 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Elsie13‍  since there is no gym .. I'm going to try those on line video workouts.     Have you ever tried one?  I need to keep my fitness routine somewhat going .    Going to try that shortly... I'll let you know if it's any good.   Better than nothing  I would imagine.    

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Are you going to do aerobics/zumba, Brighty‍ , or more of a muscle strength workout?   This beginners zumba is good I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irptqdkJ1lU
 I used to teach ballet when I was in my twenties, so I could do some ballet in my living room if I wanted to work out. Then I learned step aerobics when I was in my thirties, and now I have a step at home, and hand weights and a couple of big elastics.  So I don't use videos very much. 

Step aerobics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNAeuOs866Y
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Brighty on Mar 16, 2020 11:07 pm

I did a cardio workout tonight...  found it on line... it was a 15 minute video. .. I did it twice.   It was  hard!!!! I worked up quite a sweat!!!  Thank for the links! I'll try them tomorrow.     
​​​​

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 16, 2020 11:12 pm

Laika57‍ I was grocery shopping on Saturday, and there was a security guard near the exit, wearing a mask, and the cashiers were wearing gloves. I went to get a shopping cart. I was hoping there might be sanitizer and paper towels so that people could clean off the grocery cart handles, but no such luck!

Brighty‍  I hope the telephone councelling will continue to happen for you.  These are very stressful times. Do you have experience applying for the EI payments?  Does that take a while to come through? 

Posted by Kuching on Mar 17, 2020 8:23 am

Another repercussion - both Community Home Support and the Lions Club here have cancelled their volunteer ride programs until further notice.  So now I can’t get to my appointments, even if they aren’t cancelled too.  Not such a big deal for me - a CAT scan and follow-up - but what about people who are in the middle of radiation or chemo treatments?  

No toilet paper or chicken in our grocery store.  No logic to either.  Thank goodness the liquor store is still open!

Posted by Brighty on Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am

Hi Elsie13‍ yes, I apply for EI 3 times per year.   Summer, Christmas  and March break...all school holidays.     It usually  takes a few weeks to get my money. .. I still have a few paycheques coming in so I should be ok.     Kuching‍  are you able to get an uber?     

Posted by Kuching on Mar 17, 2020 11:21 am

Well, Brighty‍ , you gave me the first laugh of the day.  Round here, there’s more chance of catching a ride on a moose than with Uber!  But thanks for the thought!

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 17, 2020 11:58 am

I am now under 14 days of self isolation.  Someone came into our office tower with the virus.  They worked on the 5th floor.  I was on the 14th floor but we shared the elevator bank.  My company management has sent the entire Calgary office staff home for the next 2 weeks.  But right about the time we would be able to go back our layoff will come into effect.  That's right, our entire company is being laid off for 60 days, till the end of May.  This has caused me some very stressful days since we were advised of this last Thursday.

I've set up a toy for my cats so maybe I'll have some hilarious cat videos to share.  Keep an eye on the pets group!

Runner Girl
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Brighty on Mar 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Kuching‍  lol where do u live?    Runner Girl‍ omg that is just awful ! I'll look forward  to the cat videos!!    Im going bat crazy being in the apartment all the time.    I'm going to HR block soon to do my income tax. .  Hopefully no issues there.    How will you get groceries?    On line I suppose.     

Posted by Arctic Apple on Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Top’O the mornin to Ya, Happy St. Paddy’s Day🍀.

So many things have and continue to change for our daily living that’s for sure, as I watch every activity I’m part of systematically morph and eventually shut down till further notice. As I’m newly diagnosed with Breast Carcinoma, I’m still hopeful my first oncologist appointments one for end of March and the next for mid April, will continue as scheduled. I’m anxious to hear my treatment plan and how to move forward with this unexpected diagnosis.

In the meantime, as all of you are talking about, self isolation has become my new norm. Thankfully I draw pleasure from my quilting, FaceTiming with our “Grands” and reading books that help me become the best version of myself. As for food and essentials, thankfully we have a fairly good stock as well have an e-commerce business that allows us to order our vitamins, cleaning disinfectant products and of course the scarce and illusive toilet paper 😆.  
Looking forward to more sunny days and positive outcomes ahead. Hope you all enjoy a very green day and find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow🍀
Hugs Without Bugs, Arctic Apple

Posted by Whitelilies on Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Elsie13‍ Hello
My turn.....HASH TAG # THIS VIRUS IS HORRID

BOTH my sons home.....indefinitely......Adult Day Program closed (older son, special needs)......College closed (younger son, hint of special needs).....
24/7 "Togetherness" brings out the worst in people
My Naturopath Dr Ofc, is closed
My Vitamin C/IV Clinic is closed
My CT Scan is booked for Thursday at a hospital WITH assessment centre.......dare I keep appt?
No movies
No way to go to a mall
No community centres; we NEED the youth lounge.....we NEED the drop in gym programs......my boys NEED routines.
We walk around the area.....like lost souls.

I feel depleted. 

Whitelilies

Lillian

ps CHUCKLE for Tuesday:  I saw a lady with a PAPER TOWEL wrapped around her face! I recognized Bounty brand a mile away !

Posted by a3a on Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Life is very different, that's for sure.  Sorry about your loss of your gym time, Elsie--but glad people are making choices to close facilities to keep others safe.

I had been self-isolating over the last four months because I didn't want to pick up bugs that could affect my surgery time or radiation treatments, and was looking forward to a busy spring, visiting friends, etc.  That's all on hold, as it should be.

I just completed my VVR radiation for endometrial cancer last week. Does anyone know if that would compromise my immune system?  I'm being very careful, but we do have a young friend who is housebound and relies on us to pick up things he needs.

Thinking of everyone on the site, and hoping you are managing.
Ginny on Vancouver Island

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi a3a‍ , I'm thinking you should try phoning your cancer clinic, to find out if your radiation treatments compromised your immune system.  That's something you need to know, for sure.
I did a 35 minute workout in the living room just before lunch. Felt much more energetic after that!

Whitelilies‍ , I'm due at the cancer clinic early Friday morning, for my 6 month check-up and blood test. Every time the phone rings, I think, that'll be the clinic cancelling on me!

Posted by Lillee on Mar 17, 2020 8:12 pm

wow

On Mar 6 I had a colonoscopy. On the 11th I got the diagnosis of cancer. Surgery is slated for Mar 31. 

I feel in limbo right now.

I want the surgery. Don't want the virus. I am in isolation as of yesterday. 

The idea of post-surgery and having the virus is very scary. Coughing - no I don't like that idea at all

Posted by a3a on Mar 17, 2020 11:30 pm

thanks Elsie, I definitely could call the radiologist.  I'm staying in the house pretty much now.  When I get a bug, it goes right to my chest and turns into bronchitis or pneumonia.  So NOT catching the bug is the key right now for sure. My husband is doing the grocery shopping and we're not having friends over to visit.  What a different world this is going to be for the next few months.  Be safe, everyone,  Ginny

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 18, 2020 10:30 am

Oh, Kuching‍ The way you worded this:

Round here, there’s more chance of catching a ride on a moose than with Uber!

Cracked me right up!

I do hope you’re able to find a ride to your treatment. Have you tried contacting the Cancer Society? I don’t know if their volunteer driving services are still operating, but here is a link to the transportation section on www.cancer.ca - you could call and find out.

Arctic Apple‍ , I watched the Province of Ontario press conference in its entirety yesterday on CBC, and one of the officials who spoke said that cancer-related tests and treatments will continue. Other provinces also gave press conferences yesterday, (NS and SK, as I recall) and there may be information on CBC.CA. Wherever you are, it seems that “calling ahead” is the new means of getting this information.

“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 18, 2020 10:57 am

Brighty‍ , Maybe you saw this?  It's about delaying mortgage payments: https://globalnews.ca/news/6694459/coronavirus-canada-big-banks-mortgage-payment-deferrals/?utm_source=notification/

Posted by Brighty on Mar 18, 2020 11:32 am

Thank you Elsie13‍  that is great!

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Lillee‍ , that does sound very worrying, surgery during the pandemic.  I think though that there are always very strict sterilization procedures during surgeries and by Mar. 31 the hospitals will be experienced at keeping rooms very clean. 

Posted by Lillee on Mar 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi Elsie13‍ 

The Cancer Centre is way behind the rest of the hospital. Totally different entrance to emergency where more people would go. They have already instituted a screening for anyone coming in. So I am feeling safer going there. The Cancer Centre is also a different wing so they can easily block people coming from inside the hospital to keep it even safer.

They have also cancelled all surgery that is benign tumors. Only cancer get operated on in the cancer centre. I am hoping that means my surgery will be moved forward