Nidra yoga to help with anxiety and stress.

Nidra yoga to help with anxiety and stress.

Posted by MCoaster on Feb 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi everyone.

Reading through posts from people dealing with their cancer and also those who are caregivers I was struck by how many members mention anxiety and stress.    I find that nidra yoga, which is a type of meditation done while lying down,  downloaded to my iPad is useful when I can’t sleep.  Has anyone else tried it?

While anxiety  and stress are a very natural response they are so draining.

Kind thoughts.

Margaret

Re: Nidra yoga to help with anxiety and stress.

Posted by LPPK on Feb 17, 2020 11:57 am

Hello MCoaster‍   I have not done Nidra yoga, but have learned so much through my weekly gentle yoga classes.  I have learned and benefit from deep breathing, relaxing, calming thoughts and imagery at yoga.  I recently have started a guided meditation group and find that it is so complementary of the breathing I have learned at yoga.  
Just as children are taught to Stop Look and Listen when crossing the street, I have learned through yoga and guided meditation to Stop, Breathe and Relax.

Elaine   LPPK

Posted by MCoaster on Feb 17, 2020 3:13 pm

LPPK‍  Thanks for your very interesting post.

I think so often we identify how we feel but do not know how to move through it and on the next stage.   I sometimes feel as if the anxiety makes me feel a victim and being aware of the moment and my breathing helps.  It is not always 100% helpful but works most of the time.   You might find Nidra interesting as to me it is yoga without the movement but with the meditation component.   As always there are many YouTube sites if you are interested.

Best wishes for your continuing NEDs

Margaret

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Margaret
That was my mother's name actually Margaret Patience, she however was known as Pat. She had a radical mastectomy in her early 60's, she passed in 1981 at the age of 68 from heart failure.
It is good to connect with a person in my age bracket.
I was listening to Elvis Presley tonight some young people do not know much about him. 
I was a travelling food salesman for 27 years and International sales for a number of years. Sleeping in Hotel rooms was a challange however to sleep I would listen to self hypnosis tapes.
I don't see that as being popular now but slowing your mind down and filling it with gentle thoughts still works.
It is controlling the dominate thoughts.
This is getting harder as I get older and faced with health and  emotional issues.
Never tried Yoga. I will look up information on Nidra Yoga.
Sleep well
Speedystill 

Posted by Cobble223 on Feb 19, 2020 8:49 am

Hi SpeedyStill‍  - I think this type of thing is making a comeback! In the form of "guided meditations" or "mindfulness". There are lots of apps that will guide you through this (Calm, Headspace, many other ones that are free). Air Canada flights even have Headspace as an option on the in-flight entertainment!

I think it's great. I've been out of cancer treatments for over a year and find myself still grappling with anxiety. I do a session from the Calm app every day on the subway on the way to work and find it really helps. Obviously not the best place for concentration but it does make a difference in my day.

All the best.

Posted by MCoaster on Feb 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Hi SpeedyStill‍ I am sorry that you lost your mother so young.  68 is too young and some emotions stay with us always.   Ageing seems to have crept up on me and now it is progressing faster.

Have you tried the nidra yoga yet?   When I was asked if I would like to go to a workshop for it I visualized trying to become a pretzel but it certainly was easy and turned out to be what I needed.

You help a lot of people on the site and I hope you treat yourself with the same compassion.

Best wishes.

Margaret