2 separate cancer diagnosis in one month – how can this be?

Re: 2 separate cancer diagnosis in one month – how can this be?

Posted by Turtles on Jan 26, 2020 9:56 pm

Thank you Rayline‍  and JustJan‍ .  Looks like I'll be going for general anesthetic since I'm getting the sentinel nodes removed.  Thanks for the info!

Posted by Essjay on Jan 27, 2020 7:28 am

Hi Turtles‍ I too had a bone scan light up ‘like a Christmas tree’ with ‘something’ in the area of my mid-back. I had a CT which showed it to be a compression fracture with a deformity that was pressing on a nerve. It explained my pain, and it wasn’t cancer. I know how it happened (dog related accident). The scans also showed osteopenia, a consequence of premature menopause, being blonde and skinny, so I am on Zometa for 5 years to reduce metastasis and to build up my bones. I also went and got some advice from a sports doctor and physio on how to manage my back and to build my bones back up for the futrure.
Here’s hoping your MRI shows nothing sinister Essjay xx
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Rayline on Jan 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Essjay, I was misdiagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer last year due to a large tumour under my arm which turned out to be benign schwanoma. So there are definitely different things happening in our body. Lol I just had stage 1 breast and lung cancer.

Posted by Tizzie 2020 on Feb 7, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi - thanks Turtles‍ and all of you for your thoughts and wishes.  Had my single mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy last week.   All in all it went better than I expected –  the first night was bad as I recovered from the anesthesia and other drugs.  Was very nauseous and light headed – couldn’t stomach anything.  Also seemed to have a reaction the oxygen tube that was used during surgery.  But I went home the next day and have been recovering well since then.  Except for the back pain which increased perhaps due to having to lie down mostly on my back.  Got the dressings and drains removed yesterday, which has added to the relief and I can now lay on my side as well.

At my appointment yesterday, I mentioned the increased back pain.  Although the CT scan done at the time of diagnosing the ovarian cancer indicated the spine was within “normal” parameters, the nurse suggested doing a bone scan to be sure.  This has made me nervous again. 

Other than that, I’m focusing on this recovery and on getting stronger to be able to handle the surgery for the hysterectomy.  JustJan‍ – how long was your recovery and treatment for the hysterectomy?  I know everyone’s situation is unique, but just wondering in terms of expectations. 

Turtles‍ do you have a date for your lumpectomy?  

Posted by JustJan on Feb 7, 2020 1:20 pm

Tizzie 2020‍ , I am glad your first surgery went well. You should feel pretty good in a couple of days with just some minor discomfort. 

I had a total hysterectomy and omentectomy. I was in hospital overnight and they stayed on top of my pain meds and anti nausea meds and I was really very comfortable. I did the same after I got home with the pain meds. I didn’t need the anti nausea meds at home. I would say I felt quite good after a few days. I did have a burning sensation in my abdomen for a few weeks but think that was from the omentectomy. I didn’t have any nausea post op but I had an amazing anesthesiologist who medicated me well for both nausea and pain control. So don’t be afraid to ask for good nausea control after your surgery. You probably won’t be able to lift anything more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks and definitely no vacuuming or laundry. My husband has turned into quite the homemaker because of all this - a little silver lining 😃. Happy to give answer more questions if you have any. Hang in there!
Strength doesn't come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't. - Rikki Rogers

Posted by Cedar on Feb 8, 2020 9:52 am

Tizzie 2020‍ I was diagnosed with uterine cancer late November and had my surgery Dec 4, complete hysterectomy with ovaries and tubes also removed as a complete unit. I was in hospital 2 days, but quit the pain meds when I got home. I was in good physical condition before the surgery and am back to work and walking 8 to 10 km a day. The physical part of this journey was easy, but I'm finding the anxiety of waiting on pathology reports, waiting for appointments, now I'm waiting for my consultation at the Cancer Centre, to be the hard part. I'm a yoga instructor so keep telling myself I have the tools to get through this. I do, but have to dig pretty deep in the tool kit to find them. This site helps. 

Posted by Tizzie 2020 on Feb 8, 2020 10:54 am

Wow Cedar‍ - that's great!  Back to work already - good for you for handling the physical recovery of the surgery so well!  Yes, I know waiting for the path results can be so anxiety ridden.  As I try to prepare for the upcoming hysterectomy, I'm also healing from the mastectomy and anxiously waiting on those path results.   It's great that you are using your knowledge of yoga and it's associated tools to help you through this part of the process!  All the best - and thanks for sharing your experience.  

Posted by a3a on Feb 8, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi Tizzie 2020, good to hear you are recovering from part one of your journey.  I had a radical hysterectomy Jan. 6th. Like Cedar, I didn't need much pain relief after the hospital stay, and by the end of the first week, was going up and down 14 stairs in the house, and was able to help with dishes and prepare simple meals. If you are having laparascopic surgery, you generally heal quite quickly.  Open abdominal surgery has a longer recovery period. 

The waiting for results is hard, isn't it!  I had the biopsy results ten days after surgery.  I've found colouring helps when I'm anxious. 

Thinking of you on Vancouver Island, Ginny

Posted by WeeNelson on Feb 9, 2020 12:19 pm

Hello everyone. Jumping into this conversation from the Nation’s Capital.

I’m going for a total hysterectomy on Feb. 24. There’s a thickened uterine lining and an 8cm tumour on my right ovary. They’ve done several ultrasounds and can’t tell yet if the tumour is cancerous (50-50 chance is what they told me). I won’t know for sure until after the surgery. This comes 3 years after treatment for breast cancer, and I had many spells of thinking why me? Why again? I can’t imagine what it’s like to get two cancer diagnoses at the same time.

Your advice about recovery from hysterectomy is great. I live alone so I’m going from hospital to a convalescent bed for a few days. After that I hope I can get by with a little help from my friends.

Good luck to all of you!

Posted by Tizzie 2020 on Feb 9, 2020 12:46 pm

WeeNelson‍  All the best for your upcoming surgery.  I can understand the worry of having to go through something like this again, but we're all rooting for you and best wishes for a positive diagnosis!  

a3a‍ thanks for sharing your experience.  Now that you have your results, you'll be able to look ahead and plan for the adjuvant treatment.  All the best and stay in touch.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Tizzie 2020‍ 

Have you had your surgeries? How are you recovering?

Thinking of you,
Lacey

Posted by Tizzie 2020 on Aug 2, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Lacey_adminCCS‍ - thanks for checking in.  Yes, I did have my surgeries.  Right breast mastectomy in January and a total hysterectomy in March.  The former went well, but I had issues and some trauma with the second.  Took a little longer to recover, but started chemo as part of the OC treatment in May  - 6 rounds in total, just getting to round 5.  Chemo has been particularly brutal on my back.  I get this intense burning which my care team says is atypical, so it has not really been diagnosed as a side effect or something else.  Other than that, I'm pushing forward and hoping for the best.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Aug 2, 2020 12:29 pm

Tizzie 2020

Good to hear from you. 

Glad to hear your surgery is done. Sorry to hear you had some difficulties. 

Great to hear you are pushing through.

Are they going to look into the burning further? I would continue to mention it if it happens each time so you can be properly monitored. 

Take care, 
Lacey