Memories

Memories

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jan 13, 2020 10:11 pm

"Everthing can be taken from you but no one can take away your memories"
We have memories hardwired in our mind. All we have to do is remember them and relive them in our mind. The memories we should focus on are the ones that made us feel good about ourselves.
Close your eyes lay back push everything else to the back of your mind. Then visualize in your mind all the details you can remember about that happy experience. Our mind is an incredible part of our body and we have to train ourselves to have more control over it.
One exercise I use to first clear my mind is the following. Some may have heard of this before.
Start at your toes and concentrate on them. When they are relaxed you move up your body and relax every part. By the time you get to your head the rest of your body should be relaxed.
This is where you push all the negativity out of your body and be in a totally relaxed state.
In theory this should work however if it doesn't work you are at least partially relaxed.
I will share a memory that brings great joy to me.
About 6 years ago (my memory is not perfect can't remember the exact year) I spent time with my granddaughter who was 9 years old ? at our Summer Cottage. It rained on Wednesday so we decided to go swimming at the Aquatic Center in the city. When we got there she went into the girls changing room and I went into the boys. This is the part that I will never forget.
When I came out to the pool area she said
"Oh Bumpy I was so worried you took so much time I thought something happened to you"
We had a ball in the Olympic size pool and there was an area for children with a slide.
After the pool adventure we went downtown where the Buskers and other events were going on. We ate and all in all had a great day.
Memories we can not actually relive them but tears came to my eyes as I wrote this memory tonight. Tears of bringing back the feelings of joy.
Keep your memories alive sometimes that's all we have.
SpeedyStill 

Re: Memories

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 13, 2020 10:56 pm

SpeedyStill‍ The relaxation technique you describe is called guided relaxation. If you have a cell phone or tablet, you can get several free apps that do guided relaxation. There are also deep breathing apps, and a few decent meditation apps.

I use one called Yoga Nidra. There are probably also some on YouTube.

Our memories have a lot of power. Bad or good, they can bring on strong emotion. A fortunate person is able to focus on the good ones.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jan 13, 2020 11:09 pm

SpeedyStill‍ Your post is wonderful. It is well written. It is poignant.  It is a great reminder of the possibilities of the human mind. On a bitter cold January day, it was exactly what I needed to read. Thank you for sharing. 

Wendy Tea 

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jan 13, 2020 11:09 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ 
Thank you for the information. YouTube has opened the door to a lot of free information.
The music I used to buy is now free on Youtube.
If I need information I go right to Google and then YouTube.
Most problems are covered in Google and YouTube 
SpeedyStill Gerry

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am

And those two things have freed our minds to be able to recall happy memories! SpeedyStill‍ For the win!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying