"You are on too Many Medications"

Re: "You are on too Many Medications"

Posted by CentralAB on Sep 9, 2019 12:51 am

SpeedyStill:
CentralAB‍ 
Lacey_adminCCS‍ 
Lianne_adminCCS‍ 
Every discussion needs different points of view. Thank you for yours. I do have on going discussions with my Doctors and Pharmacist about my medication regiment.
I had two things in mind when starting this discussion 
1. To bring attention to the fact that no one other than your Doctors or Pharmacist should tell you what drugs you should be taking or that you are on too Many drugs.
2. I have lost the support needed from the community that I have depended on for years.
Therefore I reached out to this my new community Cancerconnection.

Hello @SpeedyStill. Thank you for sharing all that you have here. Your contribution here is very important, and may be helping others along the way.  I think maybe it remains to be seen just how much in common your story has, with the stories of others; but I do know that several things you have written above do ring a bell for me. My wife & I can relate to the losing of community supports, as it seems that the longer a critical or terminal illness drags on, the more people stop coming around. I would guess that the reasons vary from person to person as to why this happens, but I know in the case of home care, so called, I was just told the other day that there is no room in the budget for "respite care" anymore. I am still in shock over that one, but the same seems to happen also with family and friends. The first year, all kinds of people would come around, but as time wore on, it has dwindled to almost no one coming around. I would like to comment more on this, but am really short on time, (and energy) so I would like to leave the following comment, if I may.

I have found that this is something that has really helped me, and like you said, perhaps all the little bits and pieces here, from all the others above, will give you something you really need at this time too:

I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars

Posted by SpeedyStill on Sep 9, 2019 7:50 pm

CentralAB‍ 
Love the verse at the end of your post. I am going to write it down and keep it close.
There has been a few discussions about friends and family getting Cancer weary. This community has put a new light on it. I was starting to feel like there was something wrong with me. Now I know that this is common and I can stop beating myself up thinking I was doing something to make people not like me. It can wear you down over time if you let it.
Leo Buscaglia in one of his books on Love said something like this I don't have the exact quote. All my books by him were thrown out.
We are born alone, we live alone, and we die alone.
It was said in the context of the importance of loving yourself. This author helped me get through every difficult challenge I have faced in life. 
How I treat my body in a crisis is important. The temptations are out thier. Drink alcohol, drugs or other unheathy things to escape, only finding that you end up abusing your body and personal life until you become just another statistic with a legacy no one should be proud of.
When you are alone remember that the love of life is the love you give yourself.
All the Best,
SpeedyStill (Gerry)

Posted by CentralAB on Sep 9, 2019 11:50 pm

Thats very well said SpeedyStill!  We can always exercise choice as to HOW we will respond to things out of our control. And that how brings us all to the point where we realize what it is we need to do.

Im glad you liked my last quote. The reason I thought to use that one in particular was not to tell anyone what to do but because it reflects on what I do, and how that helps:

I didnt have the time/energy last night to finish that thought, but to recap, here is the quote and then Ill offer a brief explanation:

I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars

Now those "stars" that are mentioned are very important to me. One of those "stars" that I could mention was a couple days ago when things seemed to be closing in a little too much; I decided to do a bunch of cooking, and to bring over a feast to a neighbor who I know is alone and really struggling for financial means. The way his face lit up was priceless, and besides that meal being what he needed; it was also, exactly what I needed. I am finding that by lifting others up, I get lifted up too.

So, if I had to give advice at this point, for this topic; I would say, OK You are experiencing the dark. Where are YOUR "stars?"  (hint: they wont be the same as mine). Your "stars" shine for YOU and help you to shine for someone else. Each week; I look for one "star." Just one. But then that often leads to more. This week's "star" should prove very interesting! Today I bought all the ingredients to make home made bread. Its been 20 some years since I have made any, but I am a very good cook, and I got to thinking; what a great "star" for this week. Even if my wife cannot eat it, I can and she will enjoy the smells and the sights and sounds of me fighting with a bag of flour in the kitchen. And I am sure that I will find someone to give a loaf to!

I have confidence in you SpeedyStill, that you will find a "star" too! It just may be that this forum is one of your special stars. :)

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am

SpeedyStill‍ I don’t know if you’re able to get out to your local library, and even if you can, recent cutbacks have about decimated the inter library loan system, but you mentioned not having some books you used to find helpful, and I wondered if you could borrow them if you want a refresher. If you can’t get out to your library, give them a call and see if the have an outreach program. A friend of mine is a volunteer for our local library. He’s driving books all over the place!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Sep 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ 
I can get out to the library and check on some books. Thank you for the in for the information. The time that I used to do a lot of reading is now taken up with this community.
After you have read a certain amount of books on self help you find that most of the relevant material is already covered.
When you drill down you find that most information is helpful it is a matter of staying on course when you are pushed off the tracks.
At that time you start to question the basic concepts that you thought were true.
This community has helped me to reevaluate the basic truths that I have been questioning.
I used to Love watching the Care Bears with my children when they were growing up. Unfortunately the programming today is different.
I know the older you get the harder it is to accept change. 
I however on the positve side like watching the show " When Calls the Heart" It is closer to an adults Care Bears. Showing love, caring, kindness, and community.
That's why I like this community so much. It gives me hope that we in today's world have not lost the values that make us strong.
SpeedyStill  

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 11, 2019 12:00 am

staying on course when you are pushed off the tracks.

That is today’s golden message! 

I think you’re right, SpeedyStill‍ , when you say that a lot of self help books bring you back to the same basic principles or fundamentals. Apart from craft books (ahem), I don’t have a huge library, but the books I do have are ones that really resonate - The Artist’s Way, Wherever You Go There You Are, and my Louise Hay books. Electronically, I have Meditation for Optimum Health, and another of Jon Kabat-Zinn’s books on meditation. I also have a couple of deep breathing and relaxation apps on my iPad that I will use if I find myself getting too keyed up.