Let's Discuss...your top 3 tips for coping with cancer

Re: Let's Discuss...your top 3 tips for coping with cancer

Posted by Roma on Jul 12, 2019 11:07 pm

1.  Trust and do what your doctors tell you
2.  Let family and friends help you when you need it
3.  Trust and pray to Jesus.

Posted by Mystiquewolf on Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

1. Learn about your disease and get the facts and make sure you ask lots of questions and be as informed as you can.
2. Except your cancer and make those around you accept it. Then also accept the fact that you choose to beat it. That you choose not to give up!
3. Scream, laugh, cry, hug, smile, eat ice cream or chocolate, see a movie or do whatever you have to but stay focused on the fact that you can do this and you can beat it.

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Contemplating the following quotes can help.

😰When it comes to support:
"Family's not always perfect but they make up the pieces that complete our soul.
Gather up your souls pieces and cherish them fully."

👣For living daily life:
"Those who say only sunshine can bring happiness,
have never danced in the rain."

😒The daily fight:
"The deeper your pit of despair, 
the more focused determination it can hold."

ATTITUDE: Attitude = Energy / Energy = Strength / Strength = Attitude!  

😜Peace.

Posted by Dilek on Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I have just finished my chemo and radiotherapy for breast cancer and I'm just about to begin aromatase inhibitor and zometa. 

I hope the following three tips may be helpful 

Don't focus on what you have lost. Focus on what you have got and try to appreciate.

Look at people who stay positive in the midst of much harder situations.

Keep busy trying to make life easier for others.

All the best

Posted by Essjay on Jul 13, 2019 2:43 pm

My three would be:

Breathe: in and out every day, preferably outside every day, and even better if you are getting some exercise in whatever form you are up to.

Accept help: from everyone. They don’t know how to help, but if you give them a job they’ll be glad to do it.

Listen to your body: on the good days get out and meet friends, do stuff with family, go grocery shopping etc, on the bad days give your self a break and rest when you need, eat and drink what you need, take the medications you need. It’s ok to spend a few days watching Netflix if that’s all you are up to - your job is to get through your treatment.

Posted by princessmaura on Jul 13, 2019 6:27 pm

thanks to all of you who have given their three best tips...my 3 tips are:
1. take one day at a time
2. live life fully and enjoy even the small things in life 
3. make a special attempt to take good care of yourself

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 14, 2019 8:25 am

Tips from the caregiver perspective:

1. Give yourself some time to recover from the shock - This can take a couple days. During this time, try to remember that all of those thoughts that are scaring the hell out of you are just thoughts. They are not things you know for sure.
2. Get organized - do whatever your “patient” needs to get them through the days ahead - set up a notebook, cook ahead some meals, etc.
3. Be there. Stay overnight if it’s needed, take them to appointments if needed, 

Oh, dang: there is a 4th one, and it’s the most important of all: TAKE TIME TO CARE FOR YOURSELF. Your caregiving will take some energy, and batteries don’t run on empty. Finding time to do what feeds your soul will help you help your “patient” all the way through their journey.

Posted by Traveler on Jul 14, 2019 12:50 pm

1. Try to have a positive attitude. It won't be possible to be positive all the time, but try to not let this disease take that away.

2. Have people to support you.  Family, friends or a support group. You will need to lean on them when you're at your lowest points. Accept their help, 

3. Let yourself feel all the emotions that build up in you. It's ok to cry, be angry, be scared and even laugh.