Let's Discuss...your top 3 tips for coping with cancer

Re: Let's Discuss...your top 3 tips for coping with cancer

Posted by Roma on Jul 12, 2019 11:07 pm

1.  Trust and do what your doctors tell you
2.  Let family and friends help you when you need it
3.  Trust and pray to Jesus.

Posted by Mystiquewolf on Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

1. Learn about your disease and get the facts and make sure you ask lots of questions and be as informed as you can.
2. Except your cancer and make those around you accept it. Then also accept the fact that you choose to beat it. That you choose not to give up!
3. Scream, laugh, cry, hug, smile, eat ice cream or chocolate, see a movie or do whatever you have to but stay focused on the fact that you can do this and you can beat it.

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Contemplating the following quotes can help.

😰When it comes to support:
"Family's not always perfect but they make up the pieces that complete our soul.
Gather up your souls pieces and cherish them fully."

👣For living daily life:
"Those who say only sunshine can bring happiness,
have never danced in the rain."

😒The daily fight:
"The deeper your pit of despair, 
the more focused determination it can hold."

ATTITUDE: Attitude = Energy / Energy = Strength / Strength = Attitude!  

😜Peace.

Posted by Dilek on Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm

I have just finished my chemo and radiotherapy for breast cancer and I'm just about to begin aromatase inhibitor and zometa. 

I hope the following three tips may be helpful 

Don't focus on what you have lost. Focus on what you have got and try to appreciate.

Look at people who stay positive in the midst of much harder situations.

Keep busy trying to make life easier for others.

All the best

Posted by Essjay on Jul 13, 2019 2:43 pm

My three would be:

Breathe: in and out every day, preferably outside every day, and even better if you are getting some exercise in whatever form you are up to.

Accept help: from everyone. They don’t know how to help, but if you give them a job they’ll be glad to do it.

Listen to your body: on the good days get out and meet friends, do stuff with family, go grocery shopping etc, on the bad days give your self a break and rest when you need, eat and drink what you need, take the medications you need. It’s ok to spend a few days watching Netflix if that’s all you are up to - your job is to get through your treatment.

Posted by princessmaura on Jul 13, 2019 6:27 pm

thanks to all of you who have given their three best tips...my 3 tips are:
1. take one day at a time
2. live life fully and enjoy even the small things in life 
3. make a special attempt to take good care of yourself

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 14, 2019 8:25 am

Tips from the caregiver perspective:

1. Give yourself some time to recover from the shock - This can take a couple days. During this time, try to remember that all of those thoughts that are scaring the hell out of you are just thoughts. They are not things you know for sure.
2. Get organized - do whatever your “patient” needs to get them through the days ahead - set up a notebook, cook ahead some meals, etc.
3. Be there. Stay overnight if it’s needed, take them to appointments if needed, 

Oh, dang: there is a 4th one, and it’s the most important of all: TAKE TIME TO CARE FOR YOURSELF. Your caregiving will take some energy, and batteries don’t run on empty. Finding time to do what feeds your soul will help you help your “patient” all the way through their journey.

Posted by Traveler on Jul 14, 2019 12:50 pm

1. Try to have a positive attitude. It won't be possible to be positive all the time, but try to not let this disease take that away.

2. Have people to support you.  Family, friends or a support group. You will need to lean on them when you're at your lowest points. Accept their help, 

3. Let yourself feel all the emotions that build up in you. It's ok to cry, be angry, be scared and even laugh.

Posted by Littledeerbill on Jul 15, 2019 8:26 pm

1. Buy a small, nice quality notebook/journal and write every morning.
    Write whatever comes into your mind. Could be one word or many. Could be swearing. Could be anything. Could be rage.    Sorrow. Even just the word sad. After writing, just be and let whatever flow inside.

2. Learn how to pray, if you don’t know already. Prayer. Could be mediation. It could be just being still and looking intensely at a plant, a picture of someone you love. The point is to stop your thoughts and let your soul be. The benefit of just being, in the same way as a baby just is, is glorious. Use your conscious mind to remember how it was when you were a child, or when you were in the presence of beauty. Don’t worry about religion or not. 

3. Accept people’s caring. They don’t know what to do or how to do it. So take it off their shoulders and tell them that people’s expression of love is so helpful.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Traveller‍ , I could just hug you right now.

Thanks.

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jul 15, 2019 9:46 pm

Okay this is getting way too serious.

1. Peanut butter. Smooth. Good source of protein for rebuilding all the busted burned out cells. And it just makes you feel good!

2. Walking shoes. This is a journey not a battle. While you can go barefoot walking this road will be better if you have comfortable shoes. (And some friends to walk with you.) Exercise makes you feel better.

3.  Small journal and a pen. And I'm going to go a wee bit further with this one. I tried all kinds of "Symptoms charts" and "Writing down questions" but it was the five daily questions from the book - "Picking up the Pieces" that really got me on track. I can flip back through it and say to my doctor "I had diarrhea five times since you last saw me and I treated it with Imodium twice." The questions are simple:
  1. What is going on with my Body?
  2. How am I feeling? What emotion am I experiencing?
  3. When my mind wanders what am I thinking about?
  4. Who have I connected with today?
  5. What have done to give myself a sense of Peace today?
It takes about 5 minutes to answer the questions. I fill a page a day in a 4x6 notebook. While the authors recommend doing it at the end of the day, I find first thing in the morning for the previous day works best. And review once every couple of weeks helps me pick up patterns of depression or isolation or something else. Pick up the book for a better explanation.

And an Irish blessing for you all:
May you have  warm words on a cold evening
A full moon on a dark night
And the road downhill all the way to your door.

Angus

Re: Let's Discuss...your top 3 tips for coping with cancer: great choice of topic!

Posted by WBCumm on Jul 15, 2019 11:08 pm

My two cents:

1.  Be friendly with your caregivers at the hospital.  Try to get to know their names and engage with them when you can.  A little friendliness can go a long way.
2.  Remain as active as you can, even just a little bit for a few minutes each day.  You'll feel better about yourself regardless of what else is going on.
3.  Inform yourself of the support services available to you.  It's not necessarily the jobs of the doctors and nurses to let you know about such things; they may not even be aware of them.

Brock C.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 16, 2019 7:50 am

WestCoastSailor‍ , Your point 2 is funny to me this morning. Here’s why:

Last night at 9:00 my phone rang while I had it charging just outside Dad’s bedroom. I grabbed the phone and dashed out onto the front lawn. No shoes. I ended up pacing the front lawn in my bare feet for the next two phone calls, until the mosquitos chased me inside! When I went to bed, I saw the soles of my feet and had to go wash ‘em down!

So, thanks for sharing!

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 23, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you to everyone who contributed your wisdom to this thread! I know this will be so helpful to people who are newly diagnosed and currently coping with treatment.

Some additional reading on the subject: Coping When You Have Cancer

Posted by CharlotteS on Jul 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Sorry I am a bit behind joining discussions.

Tips for Coping with Cancer:
from the caregivers perspective.

1. Listen:  to your body and to your Medical Team.
2. Rest: when you are tired. You don't have to prove anything to anyone.
3.Treat your body like a Temple: You are under reconstruction and massive renovations. Shore it up with a good foundation of healthy foods and lots and lots of water.

My last tip is smile.  Even when you don't feel like it.  You want to scream (and that's OK too) but just try smiling to yourself. Go on.  You can do it. Eventually it will make you feel a tiny bit better.

Posted by chalmj on Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm

I would say as my cancer journey just hit its 7 year anniversary (Aug 2012) three things to help cope with cancer might be:
1.- become knowledgeable on both conventional and natural treatment options for your cancer - best done through you tube video searches. 
2.- Review / change your lifestyle/ diet as a poor diet rich in highly processed high carb no nutrient man made food like wheat can lead to cancer in my opinion. 
3.- seek out cancer forums where it might be possible to communicate with patients with your cancer that may have already gone through a treatment
   you may be considering. When I did that for my head and neck cancer it became clear radiation in the oral cavity was way too morbid and I avoided it at all costs.
John 

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jul 26, 2019 10:07 pm

1. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions, and when in doubt check the Mayo Clinic website.
2. Advocate for yourself or have someone stand up for you. Ask the caregiver what treatment they would give you if you were one of their family members.
3. Make sure your mind is calm. Keep stress to a minimum and remember to laugh every day.