This week on cancer talk - 001

This week on cancer talk - 001

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Mar 15, 2019 4:16 am

It's Friday and I've chosen to host a little weekly get together and pep talk.
Am I crazy or what! I figure only once a week we will do this. I don't want to flood the forums.
I understand I'm just a regular member and not everyone's interested in what I have to say.

Welcome to my living room. Have a seat. What's going on? How do you feel? Or what would you like to say? Lets spend the next few minutes together. I'll start, and then look forward to listening.

Friday March 15th, 2019
For those keeping track, I made it only two days before caving on my attempt to give up potato chips. I'm a chipaholic. I'm eating them right now. They are soooooo good. In an effort to improve my diet, I'm trying to give them up. I was in the store, walked past the display, turned around blurted out loud, "I have to have them one more time." There were people at the checkout and they heard me. I felt so stupid. Here I was having a very public display over a bag of chips. I then joined the checkout line. A lady stepped out of the line to add a bag of chips to her order. I think it was the old "I'll have what he's having."

You may have guessed I like to write. It's therapy for me. I look back on my journals and realize the most interesting days were the ones recorded on paper. My journals keep it all conscious. Tucked away in a box deep in my closet are select recorded memories from the last 10 years. Every once and a while I trip down memory lane just for the fun of it.

Cancer is no longer a guaranteed death sentence.
Like you, I have a terminal disease. Actually that's not true is it. Cancer is no longer a guaranteed death sentence. It's been 4 months since diagnosis and I'm still having trouble believing that. Advancements in treatment are yielding the best survival rates ever. Hmm, I know that's true but the old cancer = death is still firmly rooted in my deep subconscious.

If we could just shed the belief cancer is a death sentence, our own bodies natural healing system might work better. Our minds deliver on our expectations. What we think we help create. It's time to view cancer as the puny little insult that it is. It's not bigger the us & never really was.

Our thoughts affect our reality. At age 12 I was known in the neighborhood for selling things door to door. The Lilac trees beside our house were in full bloom. I saw an opportunity to make money. I asked my mom for permission to cut the Lilac so I could sell it door to door. She gave approval. Looking back I realize she had sacrificed her favorite flowers for me.😥

With bunches of Lilac in brilliant white and purple and a fragrance better then Frebreez, I set out to reach my goal. Before I had knocked on the first door my friends started harassing me. Shaming me for my choice of product. I had choice. I could bow to the pressure, or I could stand strong and push my way through. I believed in me, I stood strong. I ended up earning a pocket full of quarters and in the early 70's that really meant something. I had stood up to the pressure and saw myself through.

The illness we face today is basically the same thing. It's pressuring us, trying to make us fear or give up. Believe! Keep fighting! Push through! Fill your pockets with quarters. You're worth it! Refuse to raise the flag of surrender! See cancer for what it really is. Be bold! Kick cancers ass!

The doctors are responsible for healing your body, but you're in control of your mind, spirit & soul. What we think is what we attract. I'd like to explore the deep mind/body connection in future posts.

P*E*A*C*E

If I had a magic wand I would take it out and heal you. Just saying if I did, I would.
I think it's okay for one cancer patient to say that to another cancer patient. Am I right?

Peace, love, mercy and healing to us all.😉 

[If you like the concept, leave a comment. Thanks.]    

What's happening in your life? 

Re: This week on cancer talk - 001

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 15, 2019 4:05 pm

ZeroGravity60‍ 

You said: "Cancer is no longer a guaranteed death sentence".

"Like you, I have a terminal disease. Actually that's not true is it. Cancer is no longer a guaranteed death sentence. It's been 4 months since diagnosis and I'm still having trouble believing that. Advancements in treatment are yielding the best survival rates ever. Hmm, I know that's true but the old cancer = death is still firmly rooted in my deep subconscious".

"If we could just shed the belief cancer is a death sentence, our own bodies natural healing system might work better. Our minds deliver on our expectations. What we think we help create. It's time to view cancer as the puny little insult that it is. It's not bigger the us & never really was"

You bring up some interesting theories.

I agree that in general today - cancer is certainly not the death sentence it once was. This to me is due in large part to the major strides in conventional cancer therapies developed that prolong life and to multiple extents are today deemed curative, life prolonging or chronic conditions.

Personally, I too believe a positive attitude is a vital part of fighting any disease. That along with a host of other important components like genetic predisposition, healthy eating, exercise, mindfulness, support systems, faith, research, conventional medical science, understanding your diagnosis and determining your best options for your treatment and survival - or choosing to abstain from treatment for quality of life - along with being realistic.

If you had met my friend that died just a month and a half ago, you'd have met a very positive determined amazing woman that truly - right to the end didn't have time for cancer. That is how amazing her attitude was in the face of what became, over a two year fight,  an incurable cancer.

But along with conventional therapies that had early success before failing, cancer defeated that positive and amazingly determined attitude, because sometimes cancer (or what ever) wins, it sucks, it hurts and unfortunately - that's what we are left to accept.

There are so many factors involved, some known others not, that come together to determine our fate. Surviving or scumming depends on an exhaustive list of components I have only touched on in this post.

I have the same cancer that took my friend's life. I am still here going on 3 yrs, and I can honestly say, I have been nowhere near as positive in beliefs as my friend was. So I suppose its safe to say in my case, all those other tangible and non tangible components came into play for me, to make my natural healing system work better for me - for now.

I have to believe - in my case, without the multiple conventional treatments I chose to partake in + all those other components I mentioned - I would not be writing this right now. I'd be dead, or wishing I was.

We all play a part in our eventual fate in the choices we make. Plus all those other important components.

I wish you well in your choices.

ACH2015

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm

ACH2015‍ 
Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry for your own health condition and recent loss. I thank you for your contribution to the conversation. We can all learn from each other. I promise I have heard you. Your post will help mature, shape and sharpen cancer talk as we move forward.

P*E*A*C*E

This is cancer talk. What's on your mind?

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 16, 2019 9:02 am

I’m inclined to agree with Andy ACH2015‍ . In generalcancer is not the the death sentence that it once was. In reality, there are still some cancers that fly in the face of positive thinking. There are some rare cancers that simply haven’t had the benefit of funding poured into other cancers that were taking out thousands of people per year (like lung and breast), and other cancers that remain resistant to treatment. That being said, positive thinking has been proven to aid many aspects of our life, including our day-to-day health.

As for potato chips, I wish you well in your effort. My mom liked her chips, too, as do I. I have to acknowledge, though, that those damned chips may have had a sizeable role in the heart condition we never knew she had. So, I’m trying to wean myself off them too, with mixed success. 

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ ‍ 

Hi Cynthia,
So happy to hear from you. Thanks for the tag info in another post.
Thank you for your comments. I now realize selling Lilac in the face of social pressure, and using that story to create a battle cry for surviving cancer may not have explained very well what I was trying to convey. Positive attitude is obviously not enough to survive cancer. It's only one piece of a puzzle we are all still trying to figure out. What I wanted to convey is that there is more hope today then ever before, so don't ever give up. Keep fighting. Push even when it doesn't feel good. 

Attitude is important but obviously it's not the only ingredient. Some of us won't make it. I'll probably be one of them. In the meantime my quality of life is directly dependent on my attitude, even if it is manufactured. I figure the same is probably true for everyone. I'll consider better my choices of examples in future writing. I'm learning so much. Thank you.

Somehow I'm not surprised you like potato chips.😉

P*E*A*C*E

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 17, 2019 10:09 am

ZeroGravity60‍ , when others here on the site express interest in learning more about the power of positive thinking, I refer them to the works of Louise L. Hay, as I found her books to be most helpful in turning around the less-than-positive mindset I had many years ago. Another author whose writing made a large difference in my life is Julia Cameron.

Since you like to write, it may also interest you to know that there is an area on this site where you can create a journal of your cancer journey. The category is called “Personal Journals” and it’s one of the main headings along with “Dashboard, Forums, Groups, etc.” You can set your journal to private or public.

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 17, 2019 2:27 pm

ZeroGravity60‍ ,

You make some interesting points.  I too wish I had a magic wand to heal my cancer and everyone else's.  The best we have right now are the wonderful doctors,  nurses and other hospital staff doing their very best to help us live longer.  I ran 7 km yesterday and another 7 km this morning.  But this morning felt different, like it used to before my diagnosis last spring.  Today it felt Good!  

Your lilac story hit home for me.  I recall going to my grandparents house as a child where there was a long row of lilac bushes.  I loved the fragrance then and still do to this day.  Thank you for bringing that back to mind.

I hope you are well today.  

Runner Girl

Posted by ZeroGravity60 on Mar 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Runner Girl‍ 

HI,
Thanks for your post.

So you know well the quality of product I was dealing with.🙂

I know most people probably think what I'm trying to do is weird, but I don't mind being weird. The purpose of cancer talk is for people like you and me, or you and someone else to come together over a suggested topic, or create a topic of your own. An opportunity to connect and share. That's what the forums are already doing. I agree. My aim is to get more people involved in the writing self expression practice by offering them a seat on the couch knowing [if we are successful] a wkly audience will be listening to them. I was thinking of possibly interviewing experts in the community on a wide range of topics we cancer patients would be interested in. I'd share this in opening remarks. Not quite a journal, more like a show. But I will peacefully vacate these premises in the emotional roller coaster forum if it's requested of me.

I'm just doing this for the fun of it.
I don't mind taking risks, being different.
Dam Trudeau and his legalization!
I don't want to upset anyone.
Say the word and I'll stop.

P*E*A*C*E

Share with your friends: