Cancer patients with mental health problems less likely to survive, study suggests

Cancer patients with mental health problems less likely to survive, study suggests

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 7, 2019 9:07 am

From the U.K. Telegraph March 06/19

Here is one study I sincerely hope to not be a realized statistic of.

"Cancer Patients who have suffered mental health problems are less likely to survive the disease, according to new research. A study found that those who had received emergency psychiatric help prior to their cancer diagnosis were up to three quarters more likely to die.The scientists at the University of Toronto who conducted the research believe the stress endured by people with mental health problems may disrupt the body’s immune system, which plays an important role in overcoming cancer.They called for a greater focus on patients’ mental health history once a diagnosis of cancer has been made."
Read the article below:

Cancer Patients and Mental Health
Having suffered from chronic depression for decades myself, this study, and information highlights the parallels that we may not normally have associated with mental and physical health. It reinforces and relates to the previous information I shared related to chronic stress and its relation to accelerated cancer (stem) cell growth.
There can be stigmas associated with the many mental health conditions we can suffer from. But remember this: Its not your fault, and seeking treatment and speaking openly about what we are dealing with with family and friends frees us from those stigmas.
Your mental health is an important ally in fighting cancer and any other disease.
The mind and body are so interconnected. Being in sync is becoming so much more of a must vs a want.
I'm happy to say I must be doing something right, I'm still here after Decades of Depression + 2 Rounds of Cancer. And I need to do better.

Keep well and stay in sync.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Cancer patients with mental health problems less likely to survive, study suggests

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 7, 2019 9:58 am

ACH2015‍ ,

This is quite disheartening for me.  I already suffer from IBS - irritable bowel syndrome caused by stress and also anxiety.  My breast cancer showed up 3 months after the stress of my mom's sudden and unexpected passing.  I have had several PTSD treatments following my exit from an abusive marriage.  At 53 can I turn it around and live the remainder of my life stress and cancer free?  You've given me something to ponder.  My next visit with my psychologist is going to have to map out a plan of reduction of stress and anxiety.

Re: Cancer patients with mental health problems less likely to survive, study suggests

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 7, 2019 10:02 am

ACH2015‍ 

Thank you for keep us up to date on topics like this.

You're so right "There can be stigmas associated with the many mental health conditions we can suffer from. But remember this: Its not your fault, and seeking treatment and speaking openly about what we are dealing with with family and friends frees us from those stigmas.Your mental health is an important ally in fighting cancer and any other disease."

Thank you for helping breakdown the stigma by sharing this information and sharing your personal experience. You are doing a lot of things right! You recognize the importance of mental health, you reach out for support, and you do your best to make sure that others have the information and support they need.

Keep flexing that resiliency muscle. The more you use it the more resilient you are.

Lacey

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 7, 2019 11:38 am

Lacey_adminCCS‍ 

Thanks for that, I believe in sharing our personal experiences here and anywhere else it makes a positive impact for helping others. Honesty is the best policy, and so many honest people here sharing gives back so much to others.

Runner Girl‍ 

People like you and I will survive and move forward because we've recognized and sought treatment for what we suffer with mentally.

People that can't break from that stigma and trauma with treatment and tools to move forward are, I think the most at risk.

To me the article emphasizes the importance of working through our issues with treatments, as well as acceptance of and sharing with others what we struggle with.

Life can be stressful enough, no sense in keeping secrets about our issues and adding to that pile.

Keep well and keep moving forward.

I actually look up to you and gain strength from your demonstrated resilience here. You are turning your life around everyday just by doing what you do to make it better.

myworstnightmare‍ 

If I may quote you from one of your earlier posts:

"A wise man told me once - in the end, we all die, so each day you are miserable and worried about the future, or keep rehashing the past in your head, it is one less day to be happy and grateful that you are here now and able to enjoy the little things in life - a laugh of a child, the smell of a flower, the sunshine, friendships, love of a dear one. Etc......... "

A message worth striving to live by. Thanks for sharing it with us.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by myworstnightmare on Mar 7, 2019 12:43 pm

Yes Andy, I live by it as much as I possibly can. I do have some down days but they don’t last long. 

Hugs 
Avi

Posted by LPPK on Mar 7, 2019 7:04 pm

We all here on the site are being proactive by talking about our cancers, seeking help and information, getting/giving comfort and sharing our experiences with others.  This is one positive way to deal with our problems.