Researchers now have a much better understanding of how chronic (long-term, sustained) stres...

Researchers now have a much better understanding of how chronic (long-term, sustained) stress can accelerate the growth of cancer stem cells.

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 28, 2019 8:58 am

"Having conducted a new study in mice, researchers now have a much better understanding of how chronic (long-term, sustained) stress can accelerate the growth of cancer stem cells. They may also have found a way to prevent stress from doing its damage."

"Now, researchers from the Dalian Medical University in China — in collaboration with colleagues from across the world — have located a key mechanism, which chronic stress triggers, that fuels the growth of cancer stem cells that tumors originate from."

Read the full article below.

Chronic Stress Boosts Cancer Cell Growth

"Next, the scientists tried to see whether or not they could identify a strategy to block epinephrine's ill effects on the system. In laboratory tests on breast cancer cell lines, they analyzed the effects of a few Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved drugs on lactate dehydrogenase production. Vitamin C

The most promising substance that the investigators settled on was actually vitamin C, which blocked actate dehydrogenase production in laboratory experiments. When the investigators tested this approach in mouse models, they obtained the same results: Stressed mice they'd injected with vitamin C experienced tumor shrinkage."

Vitamin C appears to be gaining some validity as a potential treatment in the Medical World for specific - not blanket treatments for cancer. "Taken together, these findings show that vitamin C might be a novel and effective therapeutic agent for targeting cancer in patients undergoing chronic stress," concludes Liu."

Keep well and reduce that stress.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Researchers now have a much better understanding of how chronic (long-term, sustained) stress can accelerate the growth of cancer stem cells.

Posted by ashcon on Feb 28, 2019 4:31 pm

This makes sense, ACH2015‍ .   For about 2.5 years just before my breast cancer diagnosis, I was under an incredible amount of stress due to work and familial issues.
I wish I had adopted the "don't worry, be happy" mindset instead of worrying and fretting over matters and issues that (in the end) were not that important!

Interesting findings about the use of Vitamin C, too.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your research.

Re: Researchers now have a much better understanding of how chronic (long-term, sustained) stress can accelerate the growth of cancer stem cells.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Great topic I was going to start a discussion on stress as a trigger for cancer.  I am a firm believer that stress and Cancer are connected. Our body regularly fights off potential cancer cells. If our body works perfectly we would never get sick. We have all known people like this. My father lived to be 95 and I would say he was never sick a day in his life.  However he like everyone had a few minor health issues like a cold or the flu and high blood pressure when he was older.
The mind controls the body functions so it makes sense that if our mind is not functioning properly then our body is not functioning properly.
I too was under a tremendous amount of stress prior to my diagnosis of Cancer. This pressure had been building over several years.
I have always been dealing with an iritable bowel syndrome. Which is brought on by stress.
I have also been dealing with depression especially when I was downsized in 1995 from a good paying position at a multi billion dollar company.
I was 48 and took a job making less than half of what I had been making.
I also was living in a disfunctioning marriage and it did not help being downsized in 1995.  A year and a half ago my wife decided to move out and we are now separated  
​​​​​​In this I was not alone over the years since many men have found themselves in this same situation.
The bottom line is yes this is a problem especially for those sensitive people who have a hard job controlling stress.  Some things happen to us that we cannot control
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Kims1961 on Mar 1, 2019 9:02 am

ACH2015‍   As usual you have some very good information that starts another awesome thread.

I too have felt this and in fact asked my oncologist if there was a connection.  I had read that there were studies on the correlation between stress and pancreatic cancer.  My oncologist wasn't sure - didn't know of any direct studies of course linking the two, but said it is possible.  There is still much to know about cancer .  Certainly doing what we can to reduce stress, eat healthy, get our needed vitamins and minerals, exercise and find joy can't hurt!

Thanks for the info.  Off to consume vitamin C!

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 1, 2019 9:38 am

Hi Kims1961‍ 

Stress is a part of everyone's life. I can be a motivator or even a life saver. But the chronic long term - sustained stress is the killer.

"Chronic stress, or a constant stress experienced over a prolonged period of time, can contribute to long-term problems for heart and blood vessels. The consistent and ongoing increase in heart rate, and the elevated levels of stress hormones and of blood pressure, can take a toll on the body."

Now research is pointing the finger at chronic stress as an accelerator of cancer (stem) cell growth.

Understanding and learning how to best deal with and respond to chronic stress is the key. I am a student of this myself. Struggling to deal with this situation sometimes daily.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Runner Girl on Mar 1, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks ACH2015‍ , always with the excellent information for us!

At one point early in my diagnosis when I mentioned that my mom had passed 3 months earlier someone (and I cannot recall which doctor it was now) made the comment that my cancer made sense and that they have seen it before where a woman has a parent pass and shortly thereafter is diagnosed with breast cancer.

Honestly, my life has been nothing but stressful and I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome because of it.  Moved several times as a kid, 2 siblings died, 2 failed marriages - the 2nd one was abusive, non cancerous breast lump at 40, dad died from lung cancer, lost my oil patch job took 13 months to find another at half the pay, current relationship on the rocks, mom died, my breast cancer diagnosis.

I read about the Vitamin C connection in the book The Metabolic Approach to Cancer and Fight Cancer with a Ketogenic Diet.  I've been taking additional vitamin C for a few weeks now, hoping it is doing me some good.  I'm also using CBD oil (no THC) which greatly helps my IBS as well as my side effect symptoms from my treatments.

I continue to seek ways to lower my stress.  Running helps.  I might give yoga a whirl next, either that or kick boxing!

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 1, 2019 10:17 am

Hi Runner Girl‍ 

Your personal story and the link suggested by one of your doctor's to stress / cancer is both scary and lends support to the study and the research thus far.

Each of us have built in resilience, and I believe its an integral part of our immune system. Once that goes, disease breaks down those weakened barriers and reeks havoc on our mind and body. We must be aware of these important barriers and maintain our resilience as best we can.

Re: Vitamin C. I was pleased to read and share here that "Vitamin C might be a novel and effective therapeutic agent for targeting cancer in patients undergoing chronic stress,"

I believe each and every suggested therapy, cure, etc... must be looked at scientifically, and just like current therapies, be measured, tested and scientifically proven to work for that given therapy. 

To make claims that any given substance will work universally for every cancer or disease is just wrong and dangerous - without the science to back it up. So lets hope that medical science moves forward with, and adapts the proven benefits of Vitamin C (infusions etc..) for the treatment of cancer. This would be a welcome addition to the arsenal of proven cancer fighting tools.

The tools you are using to keep stress at bay like running, eating well, and supplements are great benefits. Yoga and Kick Boxing sound like positives as well. You will have gained endurance, mental toughness, strength, and inner peace all while being a lethal weapon.
🏃‍♀️🧘‍♀️🥋

Keep calm and run on!

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by luvcurling on Mar 1, 2019 12:30 pm

ACH2015‍ Thank you. As many others have already articulated, I also really appreciate your information. I value your keen interest to keep it science focused - that's invaluable.

For many years of my nursing career I was a primary health care nurse out in the "boonies". Yes this was stressful, but the point I'd like to make is we nurses, as we could in small communities, monitored the health of our population closer than can happen in large populations. We were always on the alert when one of our clients had a major stressful event in their lives as this could precipitate a major health event, be it cardiac, mental health, or yes cancer. How often did it happen - I have no stats which is a shame, but anecdotally, I can tell you, it happened often. (For those of you wondering how did we know so much about the lives of our clients - try living in a community of 350 to 400 people for a while, lol. Everyone knows everyone's business or at the very least they think they do!)

For myself, what stresses may have contributed to my cancer diagnosis? I would hazard a guess long-term job related stress over many years in addition to many personal major stressful events in recent years. 

Runner Girl‍ as ACH2015‍ says, please keep running - why not try both yoga and kick boxing? They both have benefits.

ashcon‍ I definitely wish I'd adopted the "be happy" mode earlier as well, but we're here, so going forward we can do a better job of containing stress. I'm still working on calming it - what a work in progress.

Kims1961‍ Your opening statement is bang on! well said..

What a great discussion.

Have a great day everyone!
luvcurling - C.
PS the Tim Horton's Brier starts tonight - if any of you like to watch curling on TV, happy watching!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Mar 1, 2019 6:57 pm

I am so happy that so many people contributed to this discussion. I would like to see everyone give thier opinion on this important topic.
It is dear to my heart and does not get the attention needed by the health community to make a difference. 
SpeedyStill 

Posted by LPPK on Mar 3, 2019 9:46 am

I am a firm believer that prolonged stress does lead to an increase in cancer.  While reading  Does Stress Play a Role In Cancer?  I saw myself in the unhealthy ways I tried to cope with stress. I mistakenly thought because I am woman...I can handle being the major bread winner, raising three teens, fostering  another teen, having my mother in law live with us, working two jobs (teaching and farming, this is down from 3 which I "handled" for 5 years).  I was OK until one day I wasn't and I just felt broken.  I felt my stress leave helped to bring me back to centre but the damage was done and I was diagnosed with melanoma after only a few months back at work   Same job...same stress and 7 years later and a few months after my father passed t was a diagnosed with breast cancer. 

I am now 66 and would like to hope that I am learning to cope with stress in a productive, healthy way.  

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Mar 4, 2019 1:27 pm

Absolutely fascinating (as usual ACH2015‍ ) This is such a complicated disease. I can hear my family doctor's words - "the stress from long workdays and night shifts can cause cancer." at that point we were just trying to get my blood pressure down. But six months later I was dealing with a cancer diagnosis.

I have long been fascinated by the role of stress in our lives. From first responder burnout to its effects on blood pressure and relationship to personality.

In my research on first responder burnout one thing that kept coming up was "resilience." Defined by the dictionary as "an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change" it was identified as a characteristic of first responders who thrived in their high stress world.

It seems to me that it is also important in our world of cancer. Instead of letting it trigger the fight or flight response chronically, we find ways to adjust the new life required by living with cancer. Mindfulness, meditation, and exercise are all part of a regime to let the stress go.

Angus

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 4, 2019 2:51 pm

Hey WestCoastSailor‍ 

Thanks for that Angus!

I qualify in the group of First Responder's myself. I burned out, (and had / have cancer) and its interesting because you don't see it coming. Even if you see it coming you deny it, and then its too late.

We get too busy looking out for everyone else, and don't put the effort into looking out for ourselves. It's a balancing act I have done my best to re balance for myself after the fact.

My resilience is long gone, in hindsight, it had been stitched back together so many times over the decades, It no longer had any elasticity. But to me that was a "normal" part of doing business. Getting back to the front lines or back into the ring was the common mantra. It was not until much later in my career that self care, debriefings, Employee Assistance Programs and other tools came into the mainstream of the workplace to deal with the fallout of burnout, PTSD, chronic stress and all the other collateral damage in that bag.

None the less, I do what I can, and as many here say  continue to "pick up the pieces" to move forward as best I can.

Keep well Angus - and thanks for sharing here.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by WarriorWoman on Apr 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Definitely lived in a high stress situation for about 5 years. 

Can't help but think that instead of looking for ways to stop stress from creating cancer stem cells, that we should be looking at looking at how we live. Now I am learning how to live stress free, how to manage myself and my expectations. Honestly, the world isn't any less stressful right now. I have simply made up my mind not to participate in the stress. Unfortunately, it took this happening for me to learn that lesson. 

How do we help others understand the need to exit from the high strung, still be productive and embrace their best selves before they end up joining this forum?

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 1, 2019 9:46 am

WarriorWoman‍ : What you said!

I’m a caregiver for my Dad (lung cancer survivor), who took ill just 1.5 years into my retirement. I’m now over 3 years out from the workforce, and I went back yesterday to say goodbye to the lady who sat at the next desk to me for about 12 years on the occasion of her retirement. We had worked well as a team, and I wanted to wish her well.

Of course, several other former colleagues were there, many who I was happy to see, and a few who I was not so happy to see. When I got into my car after, I could feel my heart beating faster, and I could feel the tension in my muscles from the stress of steeling myself from certain conversations. When I realized that I’d had that stress every single day for about the last 5 years of my career, I “doubled down” on the gratitude for the circumstances that allowed me to retire when I did.

It was books like The Artist’s Way and You Can Heal Your Life that helped me manage those stresses I felt yesterday back when I was in the workforce. The exercises and affirmations helped me manage that stress until I could get out.

Posted by WarriorWoman on May 1, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks Cynthia Mac‍ , Will look into those books as well.

Wow! What amazing perspective we now have!

It's weird how going through such a difficult circumstance gives us the opportunity to view life so differently. We live and work in acceptably high levels of stress. Without walking this path, we may not even be able to identify these moments of high stress, the triggers, the spaces where we aren't our best selves and the people who counter our truest expressions of freedom. More so, we wouldn't have some of these tools to "double down" on gratitude, or call on affirmations etc. 

I feel as though the last 10 years have been teaching me these lessons, and strangely, in the midst of this otherwise torturous time of my life, I can see where and how I have grown.

Truthfully, I commend caregivers such as yourself. Cancer happens to the entire family. The level of empathy required to walk this road with a loved one is beautiful in and of itself. Remembering to care for yourself throughout the process is probably the hardest part of all. I am glad to see that you have been able to do that on some level. Also, thank you for continuing to walk with the rest of us through this. It's a beautiful thing to connect with others, even virtually, and make a difference in another person's life.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 1, 2019 1:21 pm

Oh wow. Thank you for saying so. Would that my siblings could find it in their hearts to offer that kind of gratitude (Or at least see it, if they couldn’t choke out the words.)

My self care includes a lot of embroidery and knitting. It probably should also include a lot of walking, but you know - embroidery and knitting.

”It’s a beautiful thing to connect with others, even virtually,” is pretty much why I keep hanging out here! 😉

I hope you’re having a wonderful day.

Posted by Hocklem on May 2, 2019 11:36 am

Thank you everyone for sharing your personal stories and Andy for the original post/ article.  When my family doctor gave me the “news” she said immediately “this is because of the stress you’ve been dealing with”. I have a 21 year old son who has been battling addiction and mental health for 3.5 years. No family history of cancer exists in my family and I was active and fit. My naturopath recommended vitamin c infusions during chemo but my oncologist wouldn’t allow it.  I’m wondering if anyone could share what they are taking for vitamin c. I know I won’t be allowed to take during radiation, but maybe afterwards? I’m Worried that my chemo and radiation will kill the tumour cells but not the stem cells. I just finished reading a book called How to Starve Cancer which I highly recommend. Thanks everyone.

Posted by Dolphin on May 2, 2019 11:03 pm

Great Thread, Thank you  ACH2015 for the links and info once again.

It is so interesting to read about people's experiences in regards to stress and then cancer....I too had a lot of trauma and stress
 before my diagnosis of breast cancer. An abusive relationship which I left , but it was still fraught with stress even afterward, struggling to make enough money for my son and i , and then my mother gets diagnosed with  terminal brain cancer  in 2017 and died in july 2018, my son's father died july 2017, and in between
a problematic relationship - which ended the week after my mother died.

Today I moved my dad into a long term care home....Radiation starts next week......Life it just keeps on rolling....
Somehow I feel consoled to hear of other's very stressful and challenging times- though I do not wish  for others to have had to deal with such times- It is a reminder of how it is just life, and how hard and real -life can be- and how once again you can find joy or meaning- beyond all that has happened- even when cancer becomes now part of that stress too . Our bodies tell us when something is off and I believe our bodies do want to heal. I know often people say = oh cancer is just random, well maybe it is sometimes, but i also think that some of us may not feel that it is entirely random.  I am also learning how individual this diagnosis is and specific to each person.
I have always found it odd how the allopathic world is slow to acknowledge other possible contributors to cancer- like stress, mind &diet .

I am definitely open to the silver linings in all of this- and I believe part of my healing now and future is about a re set of my nervous system, and cancer has really brought me to this place - and this is only something I can attend to- through different means such as being in nature, meditation ,walking and swimming, affirmations, talking to trees etc...,mostly I am practicing a kind of deep listening to myself, and taking care of myself ,which i neglected over taking care of others...
And most important , I feel, is retraining or resetting my nervous system to not anticipate stress or expect it , or worry
like i used to. 
I am encouraged and learning so much  and i am grateful to read all of the stories people share here . Thank you
WarriorWoman‍ Hocklem Cynthia Mac WestCoastSailor LPPK  Runner Girl‍ luvcurling

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 3, 2019 9:09 am

Louise Hay made a stress-cancer connection back in the 1980s. After I got through the first few dozen pages of her book, it started to “click” for me, and I started to take steps to either remove or mitigate the stressors in my life. I was going through a reorganization at work at the time her book was recommended to me and was freaked right out that I was going to lose my job. I used the techniques in her book to “talk myself down” and find a way to get through that time.

It’s interesting that they’re now saying that vitamin C can be beneficial, but that’s how science evolves. It will be interesting to follow this study and see how treatments evolve differently, and how they determine/ differentiate between the causes of cancer. Dad’s surgeon has said at one appointment that his cancer was caused from smoking, and at another appointment that it was “just bad luck.” 

Posted by ACH2015 on May 3, 2019 2:42 pm

Hocklem‍ 

Re: Vitamin C - High Dose or otherwise:

I want to repeat the important areas I mentioned in my previous post about Vitamin C in this context:

The most promising substance that the investigators settled on was actually vitamin C, which blocked actate dehydrogenase production in laboratory experiments. When the investigators tested this approach in mouse models, they obtained the same results: Stressed mice they'd injected with vitamin C experienced tumor shrinkage."

Vitamin C appears to be gaining some validity as a potential treatment in the Medical World for specific - not blanket treatments for cancer. "Taken together, these findings show that vitamin C might be a novel and effective therapeutic agent for targeting cancer in patients undergoing chronic stress," concludes Liu."

Your oncologist is looking out for your best interests. Vitamins and minerals alone (not just high dose Vitamin C injections) can be counter productive and dangerous in relation to your current treatment regime. During both chemo and radiation, I was told to stop taking my vitamin and mineral supplements and reduce the level of anti oxidants I consumed regularly in foods. Again, something that is normally good and safe to consume everyday is not so during cancer treatments. Researching and asking those important questions during treatment is vital to obtain optimum results.

There is no conventional scientific proof that high dose Vitamin C works against cancer either. Just a fact not an opinion. A friend of mine that has suffered breast cancer x 4 over the past 25 years. She at one point did high dose vitamin C injections and the result was the degeneration of her veins (rendering them useless for blood work, infusions etc...) - not unlike chemo can. So just because something is allegedly good for you doesn't mean there aren't equal or greater risks involved.

The Vitamin C study in this thread indicates that early study indicates a potential use for Vitamin C in this specific application. Not in broad "cure all" terms. That is the thing to be conscious of when assessing the risk / benefit of any treatment plan after researching from reputable sources and discussing with a Medical Doctor / Oncologist.

I hope this helps!

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Hocklem on May 4, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks ACH2015.

I don’t do or take anything before running it by my oncologist. I’m not going to mess with the chemo that I’ve had or the radiation that I’m about to receive. I’m seeing a naturopath to help me with the side effects of my treatment not to treat me for cancer.