Mental Health - The Silent Scream

Mental Health - The Silent Scream

Posted by cancertakesflight on Feb 10, 2019 10:29 am

I don’t know about you, but there are days when I look relatively normal on the outside while I scream silently inside. I’m an equal opportunity person so sometimes I want to scream about work, sometimes about home, sometimes about my health, and sometimes about me. I don’t show any favouritism. I allow myself to be irritated by about anything. Even better, I don’t necessarily limit my irritation to be about one thing at a time. I’ve been known to allow the emotions associated with multiple negative events/people to build up until I’m not even sure why I feel tense, why I’m suddenly angry at everyone, and why I react so strongly to an every day event.

What are your thoughts on my most recent blog post? What techniques do you use when you feel like you want to scream?

http://www.laughterandcancer.com/blog/the-silent-scream.html

cancertakesflight

Re: Mental Health - The Silent Scream

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 14, 2019 8:39 am

For a man it is more like a terrible pain whether it be mental or physical.  I have  felt that people do not understand what I feel inside. However how could they because they are not me.
I try to fill my life with positive things and create a structured day spending time listening to positive voices like good music to limit the time my mind has to deal with the negative thoughts.  we cant stop the urge to scream for you and the pain for me but we can have some control over it.

Keep the candle burning no matter what  With Love SpeedyStill 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Feb 14, 2019 11:36 am

cancertakesflight‍ - Amazing blog post and topic! Thanks for sharing

I vent to friends and others who understand to avoid the silent scream! 

Posted by LPPK on Feb 24, 2019 9:21 am

cancertakesflight‍ loved your blog.  I have found several ways to release or silent my inner scream.

A few years back I went to a laughter yoga class and ever since use it to release my inner scream.  The brain does not know real from made up laughter, either one triggers the release of endorphins, promoting an overall sense of well-being.  After about a minute of cackles, belly laughs and hee hees I can feel my shoulders relaxing and my mouth raising into a true smile.  

A walk in nature definitely helps by filling my lungs with fresh air, feeling the sun and wind on my face and loosening the tension in my muscles.  I am fortunate I live in the country and within a 5 Km walk of home I can visit our sugar bush and listen to bird song, the Rideau River where I thrill in seeing trumpeter swans in spring or herons in the summer, see and enjoy the abundance  of wildlife (except for the day a mother bear and her two cub crossed the road in front of me...that was a bit scary) and relax in the stillness of walking alone or in quiet company with my husband or daughter. 

Getting lost in a painting project where my mind is fully taken with what I am doing transforms me to a different dimension where stress and screaming do not exist.

Posted by cancertakesflight on Feb 24, 2019 10:02 am

Your place sounds awesome. I may have to do the fake laughter at work. I may look a little psychotic...or at least sound it, but it's probably a lot safer for everyone around me. It is a very special place to work right now. 😉

It's the poster child for stress which we all know is extremely unhealthy.

cancertakesflight 

Posted by Aseeker on Feb 25, 2019 10:35 pm

I journal when that scream is needing expression. And I write without censoring or making it grammatically correct. Just let the words flow as they will, even if I think it doesn't make complete sense. And I try my hardest to not judge what appears on the page. Somehow this act of externalizing the scream calms my mind and emotions. Thanks for asking this question.

Posted by cancertakesflight on Mar 2, 2019 2:20 pm

Aseeker‍ I completely agree with you. As you might be able to tell I love to write and get things out of my system. It's a great way to let things out without hurting anyone else. I have issues with trying not to care about how well things are written so I never keep anything the same way it was written originally.

Debbie