Surgery results worse than expected

Surgery results worse than expected

Posted by twoacres on Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. When my surgeon went in she found more tumors totalling 5. Those were the invasive ductal kind. She also found a big DCIS one. Also two Lymph nodes. I'm kind of reeling and in shock because I wasn't expecting this. Now I await the CT and bone scan. Feeling scared.

Re: Surgery results worse than expected

Posted by Kims1961 on Jan 28, 2019 7:20 pm

twoacres‍ 

I don't think we get prepared well enough for these kind of "surprises".  Initially I was told I had a small tumour - would only need a lumpectomy and that would be it.  Of course, once the surgery was completed and the pathology came back - I had Invasive Ductal Carcinoma  HER2+  - so onto chemo and radiation and scans.

I was told that the most common type of Breast Cancer is IDC  - so the "good" news is that there are good treatment options and protocols.  Also - they found these tumours now  .  Your medical team will come up with a treatment plan after gathering all of the info. from the pathology, CT and bone scan.  Much better to be thorough now so your treatment plan can be tailored to you. So...the medical treatment options will be in good hands.  The "mental health" part of treatment is tough - hard to be in the "waiting" period - waiting for results to come back and appts. for tests.  We understand - feeling scared sucks.  Some things that I found helpful when I was scared was:

1. Distraction techniques - puzzles, hobbies, going to the movies - anything to give your mind a break for a little bit
2. Build your supports - call a friend/family member - go out for a coffee/drink and 
3. Share here - anytime - we understand
4. Exercise - get the body moving in anyway that is comfortable for you - it can also help with sleep
5. Netflix/TV series - anything that can get you engrossed in something else -
6. Humour - watch a comedy/ connect with people who can make you laugh

Know that this feeling will get better.  In ways - being scared - is a very good thing.  It helps to prepare us and to find ways to move forward.  Remember - a day at a time or even a minute at a time. Be gentle with yourself.

Let us know when you get your scan dates.

Thinking of you - Kim

Re: Surgery results worse than expected

Posted by twoacres on Jan 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks Kim. That is helpful. 🙏