Waiting

Waiting

Posted by Maddie on Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am

endometrial cancer December 2016. Now waiting for appointment to deal with suspicious mass on lung. I'm terrified. Is it ok to ask for and take anti anxiety meds during this time. They will be doing a needle biopsy which scares me. Is it painful? Do they sedate you? Thanks

Re: Waiting

Posted by Tyka on Jan 13, 2019 9:49 am

Waiting is always the hardest part.  It is definitely okay to ask for some anxiety meds but please make sure with the oncologist that they will not interfere with the results of the biopsy.

I was anesthetized when I had my lung biopsy so of course, I did not feel anything.  I do not know if this is the routine procedure but you certainly can call the doctors office and ask that question.  

Four years ago I was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer - had surgery to remove the mass and most of my left lung.  This was followed by chemo and radiation.

I am writing this to you today so you will know that it is very important to maintain a positive attitude and also, you should bring someone with you to all meetings.  My husband and children came to every appointment - they of course, ask questions that I would never think to ask and the medical team at UHN is very receptive to them.

Good luck.

Stage 4 lung cancer - brain metastasis-

Posted by LPPK on Jan 13, 2019 10:18 am

Maddie‍ getting info on the biopsy procedure from the doctor will help relieve your anxiety and help you to prepare for the biopsy. Knowing what to expect is far better than not knowing,
I had a core biopsy for breast cancer and was told ahead of time that they use a local anesthetic.  The doctor and nurse talked to me throughout the procedure,  explaining what they were doing and what I would/would not feel.  
I found keeping busy during the wait helpful.  

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 14, 2019 8:34 am

Hi, Maddie‍ , I agree with the others. I was my Dad’s caregiver, and I go with him to all of his appointments, even a year later.

The waiting is the hardest part. It’s a form of relief once you have a full diagnosis and an action plan.

As Tyka‍ said, they put you out for the needle biopsy. you’re apt to be sore after (Dad complained about his ribs and the incision - it seems that the scope they use grazed his rib.) Your doctors will set out all the steps and possible outcomes.

And, as LPPK‍  says, keeping busy and organizing for your future can help with the anxiety - clear out closets, prepare a few meals ahead, organize paperwork. Something else I always advocate is that you set up a notebook for your appointments, tests, and medical contacts. I did this for my Dad, and it really helped us keep on track (well, that and Google calendar). Dad has even started writing things in it so he knows where to go to find information about his medical care.

If you want to tackle your anxiety with a more holistic approach, you can try getting audio books about guided relaxation or mindfulness. I use them all the time. 

I wish you all the best and encourage you to come here whenever you need to “talk.”

Posted by Aly on Feb 8, 2019 6:33 pm

Hey Maddie‍ , how are things going? Have you had your biopsy done?

Share with your friends: