Boredom

Boredom

Posted by Essjay on Jan 11, 2019 7:12 pm

I’m in week 4 of chemo, expecting cycle 3 next week bloods being good.

I’m finding it hard to know what to do with myself...im bored....

I’m used to rushing around, a busy job, keeping fit, busy social life, dog walking etc. This time last year I was also studying for a certificate in management. 
Now I am fatigued most of the time, I need a nap every day, and have to pace myself to do anything physical, have poor concentration. I am making myself do something every day eg walking the dog, some physical exercises, some housework, an appointment, and we are maintaining our social life where we can (tomorrow we are taking a small hike with the dog and friends on snow shoes to a pretty lake). I don’t feel up to work (there’s too much chance I would make mistakes, and I can’t do all the meetings that I normally would, plus I think my workplace is likely a hive of infection risk) and I strongly believe I should be focusing on being as well as I can, and living life well when I can.

But I’m not very good at sitting around quite so much, or being on my own...

So I’m interested in hearing how you occupied yourself while on sick leave dealing with cancer on the days when you were not wiped out with chemo.

Re: Boredom

Posted by jimrfisher50 on Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi Essjay,Ifind it hard to occupy myself.TV series work well for taking breaks to do something.
Istarted Cello lessons.just for fun .
I don't like being in the housealone either wonder what's up with that? small tasks like cleanin up thejunk drawer in th kitchen provide satisfaction.
Be well.
Jim

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Essjay‍ I watched a lot of tv during my cancer treatments and when I got bored I went for walks with my neighbour and her dog.  My only mistake was taking retirement once the treatments ended instead of doing a gradual return to work.  Don't make that mistake, then you will be bored!

Posted by LPPK on Jan 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Essjay I found that having a lot of different things on the go helped me. I always had a puzzle, a needlework project, a book, a decluttering task (I did all my kitchen cupboards and closets in the house a little at a time),  a Netflix series to watch, a picture painting project, painting several rooms in the house, finding new recipies to create/eat, and walking our neighbourhood. Seeing the progress I made in my many projects helped me to feel that I was accomplishing something. I was lucky that my husband is retired and was my partner in crime for the house painting. I didn't do any one activity for any length of time but  would switch from one to the other as the whim hit me.   Of course I did do some napping everyday.

Share with your friends: