The "FUN" never ends

The "FUN" never ends

Posted by Debd on Nov 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Well, my husband has gone through 6 rounds of Pemetrexed and carboplatin, a scare having an MRI to check for Brain mets, none thank GOD!.  Now going through all that they  have to check for bone mets as had a abnormality on the CT scan.  We have been waiting to start radiation on his lung tumour as well as a liver ablation but every time we jump one hurdle seems like another surfaces.  I just want this all to be over and life to begin.  He was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of lung with mets to liver it is not his first rodeo either this is round 4 in his cancer fight.  He has been through it all just wish i can make it better for him.
I'm not a person to complain but just getting to the end of my rope as this time is so different than all the other times he was diagnosed.  Seemed last time they treated him he recovered and life went on there were bumps in the road but didn't seem like they were hurdles, or maybe my memory is poor.  I just needed to vent as we both are pretty down in the dumps over this one going on Friday for the scan so another weekend full of worry until we get the results.  Praying for good ones hope everyone is doing well and getting through your journey/
Debbie

Re: The "FUN" never ends

Posted by Kims1961 on Nov 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Debd‍ - Debbie - Thank you for posting and welcome to this wonderful community.  This is the perfect spot to vent and share.  Often when people post - just venting - you are helping so many others who are reading these posts.  We can relate.

Oh how i dread weekends....particularly long weekends!  I used to look forward to them when i was at work and life was "normal" but then cancer entered our world and it seemed every test result came after a "weekend".  Then there were the times when the doctor was going to "call" me at home and i would literally put my life on hold that day - waiting for the call.  I'm so sorry that you and your husband have "re-entered" the cancer treatment world again. Certainly you have ever right to "complain" or be "down in the dumps" - it sucks to be back.  Do know that we are here for you and once you get started again with appts./ results and treatments - you will feel more in control.  It's the "limbo" that is so difficult.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing.  Good luck with the scan on Friday.

Kim

Posted by Debd on Nov 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Thank-you Kims1961‍ , I am thankful that i was introduced to this site and that i found this group.  I will  post once we know more i truly do want to help others and let them know that life does go on.  We had 18 wonderful years between treatments so maybe going through it now is that much harder.  Hope everyone has a good week and we will connect next week
Debbie

Posted by Debd on Jan 9, 2019 2:39 pm

Well, its been more that one week but i am going to post this update now as i have a bit of time.  My husband completed 6 3 week cycles of chemo and is currently going through 6 weeks of radiation treatments to his lung tumour.  Next he will be having a liver ablation on the 18th once all of this is done we hope he will get a break for a while.  When we started this process in May the outlook was bleak, our oncologist gave him no more than 2 years but he has surprised everyone and in fact they offered him the radiation and ablation as a curative treatment which is very surprising to me to go from 2 years to curative but we are going to take it!  
The treatments have not gone on with out their side effects he has numerous issues now which hopefully will get better.  Neuropathy of feet and hands, vertigo, can't taste anything, his breathing is taxing and extremely tired to name a few, all of which are a small price to pay for seeing his son grow up and giving us a few more years together.  
For those of you that do not know our background Kevin was first diagnosed in 1990 with Hodgkin's Lymphoma had total upper body radiation then returned in 1993 had chemotherapy then the cancer returned again in 1998 this time he was offered autologus stem cell treatment.  He was able to be cancer free until 2018 when he was diagnosed with stage 4 adenocarcinoma of the lung with mets to his liver.  All in all  a long haul but very greatful for the time we have had together in the lull between 1998 until 2018 we managed to have our son come into our lives and do so many wonderful things together.  My hope for everyone visiting this site is that all of you get many years to enjoy life and be happy and as healthy as possible, whatever life gives you take it and run with it don't get down just get even!
Debbie

Posted by Kims1961 on Jan 9, 2019 2:51 pm

Debd‍   Great to hear from you and thank you for the update.

So wonderful to hear that chemo is done and they are doing radiation .  It truly is amazing how people are living their lives with cancer now .

It took a while for me to regain my "taste buds" and be able to really taste food again.  I had hoped right after chemo i would finally be able to enjoy food - even water - again!  But alas - it was a slow progression - but it did return.  I also suffer from vertigo and have had to learn some strategies to manage it. I did take some anti-nausea meds but then they caused other issues....you're right the fun never ends!

Thank you for the update.  All the best to Kevin during radiation!!!  kim

Posted by ashcon on Jan 10, 2019 8:24 am

Debd‍ ,
I am so glad to hear this good news about your husband. Wow, he (and you) have been through a lot! 
Your story reminds me of so many other stories told on this site where doctors have not been overly hopeful, but have been proven wrong  

We all learn to persevere and keep going because of people like you and your husband, so thank you! 

May you and Kevin and your son have many, many happy years together.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 10, 2019 9:21 am

Oh, wow, Debd‍ , thanks for sharing your news. All the best to you and your hubby as you carry on with his treatments.

Posted by Goodtogo on Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi Debd‍ . You guys are inspirational to those of us at the beginning of the “long & winding road” of our cancer journey. It seems every week or month brings some new nuance to deal with. Oh well. You guys have been through the wringer for sure but as you have 20+ years under your belts, you are giving us all HOPE. THANK YOU! Also, Kims1961‍ , I too experienced vertigo. I finished active treatment in April 2018 & had my first episode in August, which terrified me because you know what I was thinking, don’t you! It has subsided substantially and my Onc thinks nothing of it so .... phew! Anyhow folks, onward & upward in 2019. Cheers.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jan 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Debd‍ 
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this update! For someone ( many ) this is exactly what they needed to read today.

All the best

Lianne 

Posted by Debd on Feb 1, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well, Yesterday was Kevin's last treatment of radiation.  We are finally done with the travel back and forth.  He and i were so grateful to the cancer society for providing a lodge where he was able to stay while taking treatment.  It sure made it easier on him and our pocket book.  I can't say that everything went smoothly however considering all things he sure did great.  The medical community in Regina at the Alan Blair is second to non.  They treat you like family and we have a great deal of respect for them.  Now we begin the next part of our journey the road to recovery i am sure their will be a lot of obstacles but at least he is still here and we will see another day.  Never take your eyes off the prize its not over until you say it is.  God Bless all of you and the best of luck in your journey.
Deb

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 2, 2019 9:33 am

Debd‍ , I stand right beside you in voicing respect for health care workers, (and the system itself.) My Dad was a lodge resident for a few weeks about 12 summers ago, and he really appreciated having that facility as well. Cancer Society volunteers took him back and forth on Mondays and Fridays, and he was grateful for them, too.

Don’t be shy about keeping us informed about how your husband is doing in the months ahead - we always welcome updates.

Share with your friends: