PTSD episode

PTSD episode

Posted by Brighty on Sep 1, 2018 7:34 pm

Wow I just had the weirdestination episode.   I started shaking like a leaf and sweating.   I went to the bathroom  and fainted and ended up on the floor.    Have no idea how long I was out.. probably  a few minutes.    I somehow got myself to the phone  and called my folx and an ambulance.    My dad gave me a sugar pill and I started to feel better.   The paramedics asked me questions  about my life and stress etc.    They think I was suffering  from a post tramatic stress attack from everything  that happened this year.   It all took a tole.   I decided not to go with them to emergency because  I feel back to normal now.   But that was sure scary!!

Re: PTSD episode

Posted by Brighty on Sep 1, 2018 7:35 pm

Excuse my typos.  Very hard to type on my phone

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 1, 2018 8:15 pm

Brighty‍, oh, I feel so bad about what happened to you...I'm glad that you are O.K., now...

Posted by Brighty on Sep 1, 2018 8:24 pm

Princess Maura‍ thank you so much!!!! This never happened  before.    They thought all the stress was getting to me.. I think  also ive been out out my regular routine for a while.. been off work for a bit.    With school starting up again I have to go back to work  soon and have to face 'real life' again without the person I love.  So I think that is taking a tole on me.

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 2, 2018 2:18 am

Brighty‍, you are welcome...it's true that with school starting up again you will have to face the stresses of working, without Dan...we did mention meditation as a way for you to relax more...I remember you did it in your class...maybe it could help you, again...

Posted by Goodtogo on Sep 2, 2018 10:10 am

Brightly That was very scary I’d say. You have been through an overwhelming period in your life... I think PTSD is so real for many of us. I hope you ramp up your self care now. You have given SO much... to Dan and also to us in this community with your sharing . Maybe school will provide a bit of normalcy for you. I believe it will be a positive in your life. Time to focus on YOU. Take care. Be gentle with yourself but push forward.

Posted by ACH2015 on Sep 2, 2018 12:14 pm

Brighty‍ 

You said: 

"Wow I just had the weirdestination episode.   I started shaking like a leaf and sweating.   I went to the bathroom  and fainted and ended up on the floor.    Have no idea how long I was out.. probably  a few minutes."

No one should ever assume what has caused their medical condition, especially if you don't have a history to lend some form of explanation.

It would be a good idea to see your GP for follow up and hopefully the paramedics have a record of your vital signs etc. to share with your GP.

P.T.S.D. is the new "go to" explanation for anxiety and a host of other mental health conditions people believe are responsible for their medical issues. Like any other physical or mental conditions, proper diagnosis occurs from a series of tests, and then the important part - treatment.

I know of a person close to me that fainted for no apparent reason, went to the hospital after another episode and reported the issue. Several tests later - it turned out to be vasovagal syncope (Vasovagal syncope occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress) and was treated accordingly.

If you drive, you should consider your and other safety, because if you faint while driving you or another person could be seriously hurt or worse - die. Get yourself checked out ASAP to determine what is causing this fainting.

Unless you were doing strenuous exercise in a hot climate with no water when you fainted, or are a diabetic or prone to seizures, etc you need to get to the bottom if this and get yourself checked out and at least start a history of this issue with your GP.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 2, 2018 12:28 pm

ACH2015‍, good advice, Andy...

Posted by janinemont1970 on Sep 2, 2018 12:40 pm

Brighty,

That sounded quite traumatic!! 

I do totally agree with ACH2015 as to getting a better explanation as to your symptoms.  Sometimes the body just takes over....
I was walking in the park in 2016 with a new medication and passed out without warning.  Ambulance called and some young people said "it looks like she had a seizure".....Needless to say after multiple invasive tests looking for a seizure cause..... and loss of my drivers licence for 8 months, turns out new med caused my blood pressure to drop...i split my dose now and am fine. 

So there may be more than one reason for your episode....please look at options and ask questions...

Wishing for the best,

Janine

Posted by Brighty on Sep 3, 2018 1:20 am

Thank you Princess Maura‍  janinemont1970‍  Goodtogo‍ and Andy ACH2015‍  thanks for all your responses.    I am going to get checked out by a doctor to make sure nothing is wrong with me.   Hopefully it was just a one time thing.  It has never happened to me in my whole life.     So weird.    I'll follow up with a doctor and see what they have to say about it.     I feel fine now.   Could be undetected diabetes.   That runs in my family................I have no idea what it could be.     Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted!

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Sep 3, 2018 9:11 am

Brighty‍ , I’m glad you’re going to go and get checked out. When I read your post, I was afraid that, since this happened in the bathroom, you could have hit your head on something. 

Posted by Brighty on Sep 3, 2018 2:43 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ thank you! ! There are no bumps or anything on my head.   But I'll go to a walk in this week.  My family doctor is  very dismissive  .   He'll say it's nothing.   I gotta find a new one.  

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 3, 2018 2:47 pm

Brighty‍, when I fell down in my bathroom, my head was bleeding so I went to the hospital to have it checked out on the advice of the 911 person on the phone...it's good that you have no injuries to your head...

Posted by Brighty on Sep 3, 2018 8:13 pm

Princess Maura‍  wow, when did that happen to you?    

Posted by Jimmi on Sep 3, 2018 8:56 pm

Brighty‍ Take care. Good to mention to your Dr maybe time for bloodwork just to be safe.

Posted by Brighty on Sep 3, 2018 9:32 pm

Jimmi‍ thanks! Yes time for blood work!

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 4, 2018 2:48 pm

Brighty‍, it happened about ten months ago...I was tired, did not get enough sleep, and pushed myself to clean up the kitchen...when I walked into my bathroom, I fell down and didn't even remember doing it, and banged my head on the floor so hard that it bled...now, I make sure to not do things when I am very tired...

Posted by Brighty on Sep 4, 2018 7:45 pm

Princess Maura‍  that is very scary!!!!

Posted by princessmaura on Sep 5, 2018 1:47 pm

Brighty‍, yes it was...I was checked for brain damage with a scan...

Posted by Birdwoman on Mar 3, 2019 8:27 am

I think I am suffering from PTSD. I am having a hard time with constant pain and have a hard time walking. My back is degenerating with arthritis, osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease and I am waiting for a hip replacement. Ever since I got cancer in 2016, my life has become a constant struggle.  I feel like I am living  a half life and things keep getting worse instead of better. 
I have tried to eat well since my twenties and did yoga and hiking and kayaking and was so healthy. I had a very stressful job in IT and retired at 56 to look after my Mom. When she passed away I moved to my small cottage and lived so happily with granddaughters and family and canoes and kayaks. I was so lucky to have those good years. There were challenges of course, but not like this. In 2014, I sold the cottage and moved to town for many reasons.
In 2015 at age 67 I decided to go to art school and got my certificate in Fibre arts. Tears are pouring down my face as I write this. I started bleeding before class one morning, it took so long to even see a gynecologist. I managed to finish my courses and get my certificate.
In  2016 my Dad passed away from prostate cancer mestasized to bone. He was 5 days away from his 97th birthday.I was visiting him when I got the call on my cell phone that I had cancer.  He was okay then, dressed and sitting opposite me at the table. Shortly after my diagnosis, he passed away. I don't think he could stand to live through my suffering, He stopped eating, his pain was too great. he said dogs were chewing on his bones. I should put this in a journal I guess.  I will stop for now.

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Mar 3, 2019 9:39 am

Good morning Birdwoman‍ 
Im sorry to hear you are in pain. Pain is insidious, affecting everything in our lives when it is present.  Are you taking anything to help you deal with it?  Do you have a surgery date for your hip or are you on a waiting list to see a surgeon?
you spoke of your previous active lifestyle and that will serve you well going into surgery.  The healthier you are going in, the healthier you are coming out.  Although it must be difficult to recognize that you are currently unable to participate in those activities. Are you able to get out for a walk, aquafit or any physical activity?
are your granddaughters close enough to visit, after your move from the cottage?
i am impressed with you going back to class and acquiring your fibre arts certificate.  I knit quite a bit and feel it gives me a sense of purpose.
i am in Ontario and we are having sunshine today and a bit of melting.  It does me good to see sign s of spring coming.
i hope there is sunshine where you are too.

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 3, 2019 10:05 am

Birdwoman‍ 

When you said "  I feel like I am living  a half life and things keep getting worse instead of better", truly struck a cord with me.

Nothing we have gone though truly has an ending, and continuance involves both good and bad experiences during this process.

Like you, right now more of the bad experiences have piled up in front of me. Its like you just can't empty that negative experience "in box" quick enough, But some how we emerge from this clutter and keep moving forward.

Talking among st ourselves here on the site, writing down our concerns helps us to focus somewhat better, getting out no matter how trivial and breaking a pattern all help us through these tough times. I understand getting out could be an issue with you pain and health issues, what about getting some company in to see you, or phoning, texting etc,,, to break up isolation and give you something else to divert your thoughts to?

Chronic stress, and reliving it wears us down and depletes us of energies we could put to better use.

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. Its a really tough place to be, and I know first hand how hard it is to be stuck in the mind space you are in. I am crawling out of a dark space myself.

You are doing the right thing by letting us know about this, seeking support and not being alone with your thoughts is so important.

Keep moving forward, and keep well. One step at a time. Lean on us as needed!

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Birdwoman on Mar 4, 2019 9:34 am

Hi ACH2015‍ , Elizabeth06‍ , LPPK‍ thank you so much for your kind replies. I am starting to feel more like myself today. Friday was so stressful at the pain clinic and 200 km drive there and then back. I had booked a hotel but then they postponed my appointment by a few weeks, so I just did it in one day. I am so glad to have this site and all the wonderful people here. I am glad that one can post these negative feelings when there is no where else.

Andy, I am so sorry to hear that you too have been having a hard time. And I am glad that you let us know. Because you are always such a rock and a source of so much comfort and information for many of us. But I know you have many issues you are dealing with, and I often think of you and how  you are  doing. I draw upon your strength and use you as an example. I hope I can give something back to you and this community.

I attended a Back Arthritis Seminar put on by the Arthritis Society at our local hospital. The last screen said 'It is better to walk slowly than not at all'. So let's keep on trucking! like we used to say, even if very slowly😉 Thanks everyone for being here and wishing you all a good day!

Posted by ACH2015 on Mar 4, 2019 11:37 am

Hi Birdwoman‍ 

Good to hear you're more your self today.

Everyone here goes through the rough patches, and I find reading and responding here helps to sift and sort things out for each of us.

We draw upon each other here for strength and support. I remember a post last year where you were talking about getting back into the garden, and it inspired me to just get up and get outside myself.

Its amazing how simple things can change our moods and attitudes. So see, you've already given back to me and others here - just by sharing.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.