Juravinski or Princess Margaret? Your experience?

Juravinski or Princess Margaret? Your experience?

Posted by Amicas on Jul 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi all,
I have  had a breast cancer recurrence and been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

My doctor is referring me to the Juravinski Cancer Centre, but I have read some bad online reviews of the place.  I am considering maybe asking for a referral to the Princess Margaret Hospital instead.

I am wondering if anyone on here has been treated at Juravinski or Princess Margaret, and what your experience was?

thanks in advance,
amicas

Re: Juravinski or Princess Margaret? Your experience?

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm

I live in Montreal, so I have no experiences to relate on this subject.  However, my feeling is that once bad reviews are out in the open, the hospital likely sets out in a determined fashion to fix the problem. The bad reviews, though, were they from a specific department?  Anyway, perhaps consider discussing your concerns with the doctor who referred you to Juravinski. 

Keep us posted on your decision. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Brighty on Jul 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Amicas‍  I never heard of juravinski but I know princess Margaret has a good reputation 
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Maeri444 on Jul 23, 2018 9:44 pm

I have been referred to Jurvanski, I have read those same reviews. I have been in the hospital system with my step-son. You are in control of things. We feel we don’t have a voice and they know best. You know you and it’s your journey. Good luck.

Posted by Amicas on Jul 24, 2018 6:02 am

thanks for all your replies.

Maeri444‍   is the referral to Juravinski for yourself or your step-son?  Are you going to go with Juravinski

I don't feel the patient is in control at all.  I fought for an exisional biopsy, to have the tumor  removed from below my collarbone, and my doctor couldn't seem to locate a surgeon to do it in a timely fashion.  Instead I had to have a core needle biopsy, and I have this image of the tumor cells escaping into my body from the site of the biopsy.
The patient has no say in things in Canada.

Amicas

Posted by Maeri444 on Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm

The referral is for me. I do understand your feeling of lack of control in all of this and what you want as treatment. Dr’s never want to have the political conversation of what our province allows or not or what the dr’s can do or not. Good luck with all of it.

Posted by Feenix on Jul 24, 2018 9:42 pm

AmicasMaeri444‍    I have heard nothing but good, actually excellent things about Juravinski.  The doctors from there come to the cancer clinic in Brantford, and they are amazing.  I will be going to Juravinski in Hamilton for radiation following surgery, but all of my chemo and so on is in Brantford.  

Posted by Amicas on Jul 26, 2018 11:03 am

thanks Feenix, that is reassuring.
I have my first appointment at Juravinski in August with a Medical Oncologist. Sort of surprised it wasn't with a surgeon given this big mass I have jutting out of my chest, but I will see what happens.

Good luck with your treatments!! Wishing you all the best,
Amicas

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Jul 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Amicas‍ 

Sometimes people have chemo before surgery when the mass is large. I would like to introduce you to Kolombe‍ who did chemo first.

All the best with your appointment. Please let us know how it goes.

Lacey

Posted by Amicas on Jul 26, 2018 12:12 pm

thank you Lacey :)

Posted by Amicas on Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Feenix, I am in Brantford too :)

take care,
Amicas

Posted by cancertakesflight on Jul 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Someone I spoke to had nothing but bad things to say about Juranvinski, but I personally have not been there. I went to Sunnybrook for my tests and surgery. They were great. I am doing some volunteer work with Princess Margaret to produce something patient-centric to help with their cancer experience, so it's great that they look at the whole person. As said before, Princess Margaret is listed as one of the best places to go for cancer diagnosis and treatment. 

Debbie
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by Jenny77 on Jul 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi there, I have no experience with Princess Margaret but can definitely say positive things about Jurvinski. My mom received excellent care there 18 years ago for her stage 3 breast cancer and is currently an in patient at Jurvinski for treatment of small cell lung cancer. The oncologists and staff there have been incredibly kind, compassionate and understanding throughout the entire process.

Posted by Amicas on Jul 27, 2018 6:25 am

THanks everyone! I appreciate your input

Amica

Posted by Hsmer1(AML) on Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am

Moving into Juravinski today after weeks of meetings and procedures. Very professional and helpful teams so far and I’m slowly learning I can trust them with my life. I have been impressed so far ! Good Luck ! Hope this helps.

Posted by dram on Jul 27, 2018 10:10 am

Trying to reply to Amicas about the Jurvinsky Hospital but not too sure how to.
I was referred there in late June and so far have met with an radiologist and the doctor who will oversee the chemotherapy . Both spent at least 30 minutes with me and their nurses about 35 minutes beforehand also. They answered all my questions  (at least the ones that I knew to ask) and were very nice. I'm waiting surgery next week then I go back to see them to start the treatments. 
I've always used the Jurvinsky Hospital in Hamilton for everything from having my children etc. Just never thought I'd need this part of the h.h.s. services but I think you'll be pleased with them. Best of luck. Let me know how it goes for you there.

Posted by Sadwife on Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am

My husband was treated at Juravinski. I think regardless of location you're going to have good and bad doctors. My husband is now in a long term care facility in Mississauga yet his oncologist at Juravinski still keeps in touch and has advocated for us on more than one occasion with the doctor in his long term care facility. I'm glad we have him on our side.

Posted by Amicas on Jul 28, 2018 5:42 am

thanks. I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Dram & Hsmer1  & feenix ----let me know how it goes for you !  Hoping your treatments go as well as possible.

I too will let you all know how my Juravinski experience goes.

Amicas

Posted by Michael Molinaro on Jul 28, 2018 3:29 pm

When I was diagnosed with my Cancer I was in PMH, and I had a great experience with the medical staff, team and hospital. I spent my time between PMH and Mount Sinai and I am very grateful for such wonderful hospitals that we have. Princess Margaret is one of the best places for cancer treatment, with highly qualified people...needless to say, we are very blessed! 

Posted by soitbeginsagain on Jul 29, 2018 9:15 am

Just a quick rundown,,,2013 diagnosed TNBC, Lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, 2016 mets to liver PR-/ER+ HER2-, 18 months Palbociclib/Letrazole, now Affinitor/Exemestane.

I have had the good fortune to have been to both.  PMH, it goes without saying, was well organized and the staff were, for the most part, kind and patient.  As with any facility that large, there are always little hiccups, but overall it was a good experience.

I went to the Juravinski Clinic for Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (Clinical Trial) and had five sessions, each two days apart.  They were equally as organized as PMH, but on a smaller scale.

Reviews can only be subjective.  Personally, I think that often our perception is fueled by anxiety, stress and uncertainty.   In addition, it depends which treatment you are there for.   I will participate in most any treatment they offer, clinical or otherwise, if it means that I get any kind of extension.  Stay focused on the end game.

Best of luck to you.

Posted by Lyne on Jul 29, 2018 10:40 am

Hello Amicas,
I was diagnosed with TNBC IBC Stage III last August.  I am a resident of Hamilton and received all of my care at the Juravinski.  My MO, MR and surgeon are all attached to Juravinski and provided excellent care, as did the nursing staff.
I have no complaint (other than having been diagnosed with the big C) :-) 
What I did realize while undergoing treatment, is that it is a process.   No matter who provides the care, there is a script that is followed for the type of diagnosis you have, and they proceed accordingly.  But at each appointment, every health practitioner that I met with was willing and ready to answer each question that I had, and I had lots.  They were also asking questions of me, to make sure that I understood where things were at.
Everyone was receptive and competent.  My breast surgeon, which is one of the top surgeon for breast cancer, did not feel comfortable with the surgery that had to be done because of the placement of some cells.  She referred me for consult with a surgeon at St-Joseph and on the day of my double mastectomy, I had two complete surgery teams in the operating room, one for each breast.  I think that it speaks volume when a surgeon admits that they require assistance, and seeks the best person to do the surgery.
Through all the months that I was a Juravinski, I was counting my blessings to have a top facility, attached to McMaster U., at the top of the research in the field and most human.  The fact that it was easily accessible and that I did not have to travel 2 hours in traffic when I was at my weakest also counted for a big part to make Juravinski more appealing.
I'm sure that it is smaller than PMH, but sometimes the best things come in small packages... more attentive perhaps.
But don't discount the knowledge of the staff at Juravinski, as they are all attached to MAC and on top of their game when it comes to research and new findings and treatments.

I wish you the best in your treatment, sorry to hear that you have to deal with this again.  

Posted by nancy180 on Jul 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi all, I had my surgery at St. Joe’s in Hamilton but Chemo and Radiation at Juravinski. I have now moved too far to go back and am continuing treatment in Kingston and Ottawa. Juravinski is outstanding. Everyone there was amazing. You will have no problems there. I met people there who had travelled from the USA for treatment. Going so far into Toronto would be a long stressful trip for nothing. Good luck and hope you do well. Nancy Ironside.

Posted by Amicas on Jul 30, 2018 2:12 pm

thank you nancy180‍ Lyne soitbeginsagain‍  Sadwife‍  Michael Molinaro‍ 

That's very helpful and reassuring to learn of your experiences.  You are so kind and giving to take the time to post your replies and advice.  I will take it a day at a time and see what happens.  The waiting is the worst! lol  I will feel better once I get a finalized diagnosis and treatment!

take care all,
Amica

Posted by nancy180 on Jul 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Oh, waiting is hard!! I was diagnosed on a Thursday and was in a meeting with my Oncology, surgery, radiation team that following Monday!! I had a great Doctor for brachytherapy Dr. Sur. The whole team was awesome. Living in Brantford at the time, I drove some days and got a drive from the Cancer drivers other days. After surgery I moved East but my treatment here has been good too. More spread out but still good. Let us know how your meeting goes. Good luck, Nancy

Posted by Feenix on Jul 31, 2018 6:17 am

Amicas‍ Sorry, I didn't see this post til now.  
Are you having your treatments in Brantford, or do you have to go into Hamilton?  I am on round 3 of 8 rounds of chemo, all of which are done in Brantford.  I was diagnosed in June with IDC stage 3, I am having chemo first, then surgery and then radiation afterwards.  I have had an appointment with my surgeon, but will have to see what the chemo does to the tumour before there is a surgery plan.