Insomnia and Depression before cancer diagnosis

Insomnia and Depression before cancer diagnosis

Posted by jeanie on Feb 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi, I am a new member here, just got my diagnosis of breast cancer in Jan, grade 1, lymph nodes clear, now waiting for Oncotyping result for treatment plan. I was not well since last Jan starting with a bad virus infection of sinusitus for a long time, then insomnia followed, then depression and all other health issues. Then, cancer this Jan! I have a rare conditon since last Feb that doctors couldn't really find the cause, all my finger and toe nails are dry, curved in on both sides, red around the plates with nerve pain, can't touch water much at all, one of the doctor friends said it may be somehting called princer nail but unusual in all fingers and toes. I wonder anyone has a similar situation? I really worry my health condition is not too good to take the coming cancer treatments. Looking for info and support. Thanks in advance. 

Re: Insomnia and Depression before cancer diagnosis

Posted by Kolombe on Mar 1, 2018 11:21 am

Hi jeanie‍ Welcome to the site, and I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is good to hear that it is grade 1 and no lymph nodes. Of course, nothing that goes with the diagnosis of cancer is good and can feel so devastating!  So long as your doctors are keeping up with your other health issues, they will hopefully guide you into treatment plan that can work for you. The nail issue sounds really awful, I how that gets worked out!

Posted by jeanie on Mar 1, 2018 7:52 pm

Thank you for your support, Kolombe. Very fatique and tired even no treatment yet. Try to hang on and take one day at a time.  

Posted by Jimmi on Mar 1, 2018 8:17 pm

jeanie‍ , hello depression & insomnia are very common for we the patients. Hopefully your treatment plan is set for you soon. Waiting is so hard to go through, and one goes through so many emotions. Have you been to you GP to have your nail problem looked into? That sounds painful & I would think you should not have to suffer without knowing what it is & getting some treatment .
keep in touch 
jimmi

Posted by jeanie on Mar 1, 2018 8:38 pm

jimmi, thanks, my GP sent me to two dermotologists and they all said nothing to do with skin, must be something internal, however, the blood and urin tests did not show anything particular. I think it is something to do with my immune system, but no cause found yet. After my two breast surgeries, the nail problem seemed to be worse and more painful. Waiting for another appt at dermotology clinic and hope they can help me to identify the cause. I am on some med. to asist my insomnia and depression, very fatique with various discomfort condition, just wonder how I am going to take the treatments with my health conditon. 

Posted by Jimmi on Mar 1, 2018 8:56 pm

jeanie‍ I was very ill, depressed etc too. Like you got meds from Dr for the depression & insomnia. The day I went to hospital for 1st chemo, they admitted me for a week to build me back up. Point I'm making is that the Drs will make sure that you are well enough to take your treatments & as silly as this sounds once you start treatment you'll probably feel a bit better mentally because you'll know it will help you to recovery. 
Dont get wrong chemo is no picnic and everyone reacts differently to the effects; but we do it !
hope my message doesn't come across as "preachy" not my intention, just want to tell you with help from the Drs & nurses a cancer clinic You can do it ! And don't be afraid to tell them how you are feeling both physically & emotionally. 
we are all here for you anytime you want to chat or vent :) good luck with toes & fingers too
jimmi

Posted by jeanie on Mar 2, 2018 1:18 pm

Jimmi, Thanks for your comforting words, I will meet my oncologists next Friday and find out what is best treatments for me. Connecting with other members sure help with information and emotion. Thanks again.

Posted by Ani on Mar 7, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi Jeanie, Insomnia no but depression yes.. Allghiscare taking a big toll on our health.. please hang in there, God willing, we all will pull through.. I trust Him

Posted by Jimmi on Mar 7, 2018 9:47 pm

jeanie‍ Hi just checking back in, I just got home from a trip. How are you doing, any new developments ?
jimmi

Posted by jeanie on Mar 8, 2018 1:06 pm

jimmi, not yet, tomorrow will be my first meeting with my oncologist and radiation oncologist to see my oncotyping result to determine what is the best treatment for me. Thanks for checking on me, it is a good feeling that someone out there is supporting me. My mood is neverous and anxious of course, try to prepare myself for the result no matter what it will be, life will take me where I belong. Thank you so much and I will keep you posted. Have a great day.

Posted by jeanie on Mar 8, 2018 5:51 pm

ani, I will find out the oncotaypig result tomorrow and keep you posted. How are you doing?
I know I am not alone and talking to some of you to share information and knowledge make it easier. Thanks for your supports and we will pull through for sure. 

Posted by LPPK on Mar 9, 2018 8:56 am

Jeannie‍ What a great attitude "life will take me where I belong"
To quote Oprah...Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.

I am glad that I waited for the oncotype DX results, even though at the time the one month extra wait was very hard to endure. It gave me the knowledge to know I was getting the best and  correct treatment. I did not need chemo, only radiation.

Good luck with your results.

Posted by jeanie on Mar 9, 2018 10:16 pm

HI, jimmi, ani, LPPK, minus2, kolombe, I had my oncologist appt today, to have more details now, I (at 59) have invasive ductal carcinoma, ER+98%, PR+50%, tumour 9mm, 3 nodes taken negative, oncotaype score 20 (in mid range), the main oncologist said chemo is only going to reduce my 10 year recurrence rate by 3-4% from 12%, so she would spare me for it unless I really want to take the treatment to swap for lower %, so I listened to her opinion. Then, the radiation oncologist said my surgery is over 8 weeks by a bit, so she will start the 16 radiation treatments ASAP, booked me next Thursday for the tattoo and Friday for 1st treatment. It is a definitely a posivite news for me that I have a tremant plan now and chemo is not part of it. I will see the main oncologist after radiation (about 6 weeks) and see more test results on blood, BRCA and CT scan if all done in time. She will decide on the medication later, she mentions tamoxifen or something else (?), I had two back surgeries with rod and screws in my spine, so I hope she will take consdieration of preventing ostioporosis in my med. My body with weak stomach usually react to drugs not too well, but for now I will focus on my current plan and deal with others when they come. I will keep you posted. Anyone with similar situation, please let me know your experiences. Thank you all for your supports and have a great evening. 

Posted by Minus2 on Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi jeanie‍, very glad the characteristics of your cancer have led to development of a positive treatment plan for you.  That takes a lot of anxiety away, knowing you are able to be active in determining your treatment and then starting it so quickly.  If you are menopausal, you have choices about which med to take - it can be Tamoxifen or one of the aromasase inhibitors.  Tamoxifen acts like an anti estrogen on breast cancer cells, but like an estrogen in your bones and uterus, so it is good for bone density and strength but not so good for your uterus.  Aromatase inhibitors are about 3% more effective in preventing a recurrence, but are harder on your bone density and I think people report more side effects that affect day to day functioning; things like joint pain, hair thinning, memory concerns, but everyone is different.
I take Tamoxifen and have tolerated the drug well in terms of day to day activities.  It has been in use for about 35 years, so the Dr.'s know more about this drug than the other SERMs available.  And I am part of a clinical study with Dr. Richard Kim specific to Tamoxifen and I appreciate his monitoring and feedback.
Because your cancer is ER+ and PR+, things my oncologist recommended I avoid include soy products (read labels carefully, it can be hidden in vegetable oils and shortening), alcohol, and pomegranates.  Soy is a phytoestrogen and its impact on breast cancer is not conclusive, alcohol increases estrogen levels, and pomegranates are high in progesterone.
I'm curious about the BRCA bloodwork you mentioned; did you qualify for genetic testing?  I had it done last summer and the whole process took several months as I had to compile medical history for my immediate and extended family members, the genetic counsellor had to polot out all the cancer diagnoses, and then the analysis had to be done.  I think all in all, it was about 3 months to get results.
Good luck with your radiation treatments.  Lots of good advice on this site on how to protect your skin and deal with the fatigue.  Things will be much better going forward now that you have a plan and a start date.
Hugs to you; keep us posted on how things are going.
Minus2

Posted by Ottawamarc on Mar 11, 2018 6:46 am

Take a friend with you to Onocoligist. Bring a tape recorder to record all the answers to 1001 questions you are now working on..45 minute appointment will fly by toot suite#. Double space your questions. Mine first appointnent is tomorrow along with Radiologist afterwards. My big scare is the Pick Line. Good Luck 56 year old Ottawa Single Male no family....fighting alone.

Posted by LPPK on Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

I always made 2 copies of my questions. One I gave to the oncologist during the appointment and the other to my scribe (my daughter).  This way all my concerns were addressed at the appointment and the answers were recordered.  My medical oncologist did not allow any tape recording of the conversation. 

Posted by jeanie on Mar 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Minus2‍ , I am not sure why my doctor ordered BRCA, maybe because my sister had overian cancer and my grandma, aunt and cousin had breast cancer. I am treated in St. Mike H, but I am sent to Sunnybrook to do this test and not sure what is involved. I will keep you posted. 

Thanks for the supports from the others, yes, I brought a few copies of my question list and family member with me to the appotment, even so, I still felt I missed a few, well, I already tried my best. The doctors said it is definitely helpful to write them down before seeing them. 

Have a nice weekend.