What TV Shows/Movies Do You Watch or Avoid?

What TV Shows/Movies Do You Watch or Avoid?

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Apr 6, 2017 1:11 am

I've been watching Grey's Anatomy and other medical shows for quite a few years, but just before my surgery I found that I could not bear to watch any medical shows.  After my surgery I was able to tune in again until the other night when Grey's topic was breast cancer followed by chemo.  One of the Drs mother was shown in the chemo ward, I quickly turned it off.  Also my husband and I were watching a movie on Netflix one evening and it looked really good, until we realized the main character was dying from cancer. Too much!!!  We decided to put it on hold for the time being.  I mostly watch comedies now, like the Goldbergs, The Middle and even the golden oldies like Leave It To Beaver, Andy Griffiths, I Love Lucy - anythng to make me laugh.  Anyone else feel this way before surgery or chemo/radiation treatments?

Re: What TV Shows/Movies Do You Watch or Avoid?

Posted by Addie on Apr 7, 2017 3:41 pm

Dear scaredysquirrel‍ - Not so unusual. Although sometimes I find programs about cancer interesting, generally not the fictional variety. I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch a movie or show that deals with cancer.  

Posted by happyhooker on Apr 8, 2017 2:28 am

My hubby was in xray for 30 years I am a psw with dementia and palliative background daughter #1 has 911 background and daughter#2 is icu emerg nurse. the times that we have watched these medical shows we have ripped them apart like the xrays are upside down, or cpr and they are walking out of the hospital already? we enjoy watching jeopardy, science shows and of course comedy - its always good to laugh

Posted by sundog on Apr 8, 2017 8:40 am

Since my diagnosis/treatment I have begun to notice that anytime a tv show wants to explain what happened to a missing parent/child they say that the person died of cancer. I'm really hating that now. It happens in books also. I will not watch any show where cancer is a "feature" of a character because the people never seem to survive. The Bucket List was an exception. I only have Netflicks, and I mainly watch mysteries - Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders - and shows like Downton Abbey and The Queen. During my diagnosis and treatment I watched the whole run of Poirot!

Posted by vicview on Apr 8, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi:  I used to enjoy watching medical shows but unable to watch them now.  I enjoy mysteries, and have been watching a lot of Netflix.  A couple of series that I just finishing watching are "Shetland" and "Father Brown"  TV shows I enjoy are Blue Bloods, Heartland, Long Lost Family, The Good Fight.

Posted by Groomo51 on Feb 9, 2019 3:52 am

Ah! I love these shows. Also, I have added some by Andy Yeatman as well. His shows are knowledgeable. My kids learnt a lot from it. It was great coming across this post. I would love to watch these shows all over again with my husband.

Posted by Essjay on Feb 9, 2019 2:47 pm

LOL -love it that you are all watching British TV! If you want more, stream BRITBOX. I’m watching ‘waking the dead’ just now - 9 seasons of cold case police work...

Posted by Lauren55 on Feb 10, 2019 4:49 am

I too used to watch some medical shows.  I used to love House.  Now I will not watch anything to do with cancer.  I watch The Ranch, Schitts Creek, This us Us ( even though the grandfather has cancer), Hawaii Five-0, all the NCIS series, lots of HGTV, some cooking shows but my favorite was Grace and Frankie.  No shows or movies about cancer, just can't and don't want to be subjected to more cancer stuff.  Just want to escape to a different place away from cancer.

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

my favourite show is the Big Bang Theory and Sex in the City with Sarah Jessica Parker...I like looking at all the pretty outfits she wears with the designer high heels...I like the Ghost Whisperer and I am big on cartoons...I watch American Dad and my favourite is Rick and Morty that comes on late at night on a Friday night, usually...my favourite news channel is CNN which I watch regularly...
I take a special interest in anyone who has been diagnosed with cancer in show business or any kind of celebrity who has been diagnosed with cancer, like David Bowie, Ben Stiller, Olivia Newton-John, Michael Douglas, etc.  Michael Douglas went through a gruelling cancer treatment of chemo and radiation for his throat cancer even though Suzanne Somers was totally against the chemo...she herself had breast cancer, had surgery but refused to have chemo, opting instead for a controversial European alternative cancer treatment...she practices a healthy lifestyle and is all about eating right and using green beauty products...

Posted by Elsie13 on Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I've been addicted to Grey's Anatomy all along.  I also like  Chicago Med. and I'm still watching New Amsterdam. I love how Grey's Anatomy looks at the human condition, I guess we could say. When the plane crash happened, and Arizona lost her leg, and McSteamy? he died, well it was because the administration had hired the cheapest plane they could get, and that airline had a bad reputation, but nobody checked. And when the other one, McDreamy? died, he could have lived if the emergency doctors treating him had done tests in a different order. 
     In New Amsterdam, I thought it was a bit stupid, the chief has cancer, and keeps delaying his treatments. Then he's finally getting chemo, and it's an old fashioned drip, just works on gravity, not the actual automated IV that they use. And he's walking around with the drip, doing his doctor thing! But still, I'm addicted to this sort of thing. 

Share with your friends: