Thyroid Cancer markers UP!!

Thyroid Cancer markers UP!!

Posted by Sherry-Lynn on Oct 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum's boards. I was just looking to find some people who are going through or have gone through the BIG C-word. I had thyroid cancer taken out in April 2017, they removed my whole thyroid. I have been able to stay very positive for the past three years. But my spouse had a heart attack in Feb 2020 ( he is doing great now) But for 2 months it was hell. I thought I was losing him. I got no help from his family, not even any phone calls. Once he started to get better, I found my health was not doing so well. I would go for my 3month blood work and my TSH and cancer markers started to go up. So I just had my 3 blood work done and my cancer markers have doubled. I am very scared because I have always read CANCER loves stress. I just had a CT scan done and it shows no residual left behind but I have multiple lymph nodes but they are all too small. So he wants to wait until Dec and see what my numbers are if they go up or down. He will make a plan for the new year. The waiting game is just killing me. I just can't seem to shake it this time. I am finding it so hard to stay positive. They have also done some blood work checking for multiple myeloma/bone cancer.  MY stress level is so high and it is so hard because I can't talk to my spouse I don't want him to worry about me. I have 3 grown children but we all live in different provinces so they have their own lives and don't get to really see how upset and bad that I am doing🙁. 
Any hoot I hope it was okay to vent out on this page.

Cheers
SLE

Re: Thyroid Cancer markers UP!!

Posted by Kims1961 on Oct 21, 2020 4:49 pm

SLE63‍  Welcome to this awesome community. Although my journey was with breast cancer, I too, have had an unwell spouse and experienced the stress with that.

First, this is a great place to share, vent and ask away. It was my safe haven at times. Next, as you probably recall from the first round, the waiting is the WORST!  I had scanxiety - the waiting and waiting for results and the impact they have on our life. Do you have any supportive friends/family/neighbours that you can share how you're doing with?  Maybe go for a walk or a socially distanced connection somehow?

In our situation, when my husband tried to "shield" me fro bad news or wanted to wait and see, i inevitably found out and it was much harder, than if he was upfront from the beginning. When during my cancer treatment, his own kidney started to act up, it was definitely stressful, but we also used humour...like " ok, what's next?"....I suppose these days add in a pandemic and we are all leery to say "what next?"  lol...

Do you have any distraction techniques, you like to do?  Exercise? hobbies? even cleaning can be a great way to keep our mind and body busy.

I see you have found the Thyroid cancer group so i'm sure, you will hear from the great folks there.

Please let us know how you're doing.  Kim

Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Sherry-Lynn on Oct 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Kim 

Thank you for your comment. I love the ocean so I think I just need to go down to the ocean more and get grounded. In fact, my spouse and I just went to the ocean today to go see the sea lions on the docks. and just to watch and listen to them and smell the ocean air made me feel so much better. I smiled and was able to just let everything go. Then when I got home my 8yr old Granddaughter called to say thank you for a postcard I sent her and to tell me she is going to keep it under her pillow so I can watch over her while she sleeps. 😍.  I have gotten through all of this before and I am a strong woman. Some days I just need to know I have friends and somewhere to vent dump. Also, my spouse does know everything about what I am going through but I try to hold it back and he knows me well enough and gets it out of me. 😊
Cheers 
SLE

Posted by BeamBlossom on Oct 22, 2020 6:07 am

My battle is with ovarian cancer but I can relate to your anxiety, I too have dealt with rising cancer marker numbers.
I’ve often read that the key is to “live in the moment” but I find it helps me to break that down so it is easier to practise that much mindset. 
I adopt the perspective of not borrowing trouble from the future and allowing it to spoil today. Today there is no cancer, we can’t know about tomorrow or what December might bring, this is true for everyone not just us cancer survivors. So, focus on today and the health and happiness there is to celebrate and be thankful for, praise God, today there is nothing worth worrying about. 
Worry is a choice, it does not have power over us, we can choose to not worry just as we can choose to worry. I think sometimes, imagine if I live another 20 years cancer free, and I wasted all that time worrying about not being cancer free.
It’s not easy, nothing to do with cancer is, but it sure is worth the relief of releasing ourselves of worry by shutting down the “what if” monster. This is one thing we do have control over.
Peace be with you!