Daughter's possible thyroid cancer

Daughter's possible thyroid cancer

Posted by Hezz on Sep 26, 2020 10:48 am

Hi all...
My daughter is 24. Last September she was having a host of health issues and the dr ran a bunch of lab tests. One came back with an indication of thyroid cancer.
She then received an ultrasound for her thyroid and they found a lump that was too small to do anything about and told her to wait 1 year. It's been the the year and she goes for a follow up ultrasound this week.
My question is... where do things go from here???
Hezz :)

Re: Daughter's possible thyroid cancer

Posted by MCoaster on Sep 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Hezz‍   Sorry to hear that your daughter is having issues with her thyroid and I pray that she does not indeed have cancer.    Somehow, as mothers, it is easier to deal with our own
        illnesses  than with those of our children so I hope you are taking care of yourself as well.   Such good news about the end of chemo.

I too have been told that there are issues with my thyroid and am going for a ultrasound guided biopsy, I hope very soon, so can relate to how you and your family must be feeling.                
           The land of the unknown is a very scary place and I am grateful for this site to help me through.

Hugs and lots of positive thoughts.

MCoaster

Posted by BeamBlossom on Sep 27, 2020 8:53 am

Hezz‍ 
I too get annual ultrasounds on thyroid nodules which a biopsy indicated were benign. The ultrasounds annually are to confirm there has been no change or growth in the nodules.

Posted by DC55 on Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Hi Hezz‍ 

My mother and I recently went through something similar. I am 22 and just finished all my treatments for thyroid cancer (good news, I'm all clear!)

First off, thyroid nodules are extremely common, so it might not mean she has cancer. However, at the ultrasound they will probably look to see if the nodule has grown, or has any other markers of cancer. If so, she will most likely get a biopsy. Following that, if it is thyroid cancer, the most common treatment is surgery. Baring complications, it is a day surgery that only takes a couple hours. I was told that usually you have one surgery and are all done (unfortunately, my particular cancer ended up being a bit more of a complicated case, so that was not how it went for me). 

Good luck!

DC

Posted by MCoaster on Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm

DC55‍   Thanks for posting the info.  It answered the questions which I too had.    
             Stay well.
            MCoaster