just starting my journey through treatment, Catlover

just starting my journey through treatment, Catlover

Posted by Elsie13 on May 20, 2020 9:14 am

Catlover‍   says:
" I am just starting my journey through treatment. The biopsies were not definitive on cervical or uterine, so they did some other pathology tests, and the HPV test was negative, so it pointed more to uterine cancer.  It also spread to my pelvic lymph nodes so they are rating it a Stage 3C cancer. I have a full hysterectomy a week from today as well as exploratory surgery on the pelvic lymph nodes. Then I will see the radiation oncologist for a consultation a month after surgery. This is all new to me, so any tips would be appreciated."

Anyone have suggestions for Catlover?   Ttjia‍  Carjac87‍   Eve‍  tls38‍ 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Re: just starting my journey through treatment, Catlover

Posted by Elsie13 on May 20, 2020 9:19 am

Hi Catlover‍ . What generally happens is, after the hysterectomy, extensive pathology tests are done. So they'll test the endometrium, the tubes, the ovaries, omentum,  the lymph nodes, etc. etc. The HPV test was negative.  So you see each time there's a test, the doctors know more. So a month after your surgery, with all the pathology results, the doctors will know a lot about your cancer. 
   Having surgery during a pandemic, it's a whole new world I guess, but it's good that there are still surgeries happening. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Carjac87 on May 20, 2020 10:07 am

I had a complete hysterectomy in September including cervix removal & then had 3 bouts of radiation within 1 week, about 6 weeks later, done internally. All went well.

After 2 years of follow-ups every 3 months, I've now graduated to every 6 months! lol Things are still looking good with no trace of cancer.

I wish you a speedy recovery...stay well!

Posted by Ttjia on May 20, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Catlover, sorry you had to join our club but a more caring and supportive group you will not find, We have all been on this journey you are just embarking on and as you can see we are still here to tell the tail. I myself started out with endrometrial cancer which has a relatively easy fix a total hysterectomy. One of the hardest parts of this is the waiting , waiting for tests waiting for results , waiting for your operation., then more results it may feel like it will never be over. I foumd the operation not that bad and I had a great gynacologist , I was in the hospital 2 nights and up and about the same day as the operation , the pain was not bad . I was told at the time I should be fine the operation should have taken care of the problem. You have to go to the cancer clinic for a consultation and I went there with the idea I was all clear, to my surprise I was told that they found another cancer in the tissue samples taken at the time it was a rare and aggressive type called clear cell, equivalent to stage three. I went to see the medical Oncologist and was told Chemo would only be 9 percent effective and radiation much higher I went for the radiation although they where prepared to go through with the chemo at 9 percent I jumped on the radiation , I scheduled for 5 weeks 5 days a week. The first week of treatments I was very sick found out I should have been following a certain diet so make sure you get it, fine after, Good chance you will have problems with your bowels they will tell you about that. What did find hard I had to have a full bladder to minimize damage in that area. That treatment itself was not difficult at all. You will probably very fatigued as the treatment goes on. I did find after everything was over it was a bit of a let down you are the centre of attention always on the go then it is over. You will have follow up appointments after that and depending on how everything goes I hope your name will be added to our group of survivors. All the best we are with you here . Charlotte.  
Ttjia

Posted by Jlo on May 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi Catlover:

I am a 2-1/2  year survivor of Serous endometrial cancet Stage 4, Grade 3.  I am sorry to find you on this site but there are many supportive and caring people here.  I had a complete laproscopic hysterectomy which included removal of my cervix and some pelvic lymph nodes.  I was in hospital 2 nights.  My pathology report after surgery came back in about 10 days and I was referred to the Surrey cancer centre in about one month's time.  I had 6 rounds of chemo, one every 3 weeks.   Depending on the kind of cancer you may have chemo, radiation or both.  My whole procees from surgery to completion went very smoothly and I was very impressed with my treatment, especially the nurses.    

try to keep busy prior to surgery.  After surgery, it is really important to rest, eat well and drink lots of water.  I was told not to lift anything more than a teacup.   Hopefully you have support at home as the treatments are very tiring.  It was helpful for me to keep a diary of what was happening on a daily  basis and I always prepared a list of questions, concerns when I had oncology appointments.  I always took someone with me to appointments, but not sure if that is possible right now.  

i took advantage of the Relaxation and Meditation class at the hospital and would recommend it.  I continue to meditate regularly.  If I can be of further help, please reach out

joan (jlo)

Posted by Catlover on May 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you for all the tips, everyone.  So helpful ! I had the pre-op consultations over the phone today.  The surgery including me being setup and cleanup after is a little bit over 5 hours.  I was a bit perturbed by the number of hours initially, but the anesthesiologist said they are in no rush.  They want to prevent having to go back in another time.  He said sadly it is quite a common surgery. 

With COVID, any consultations that they can do over the phone, they do.  And I am unable to have another person in with me for in person consultations.  However, my husband is teleconferenced in.  Not ideal, because you don’t have the touch before and after the news. You have to wait for that. And I won’t be able to have visitors in the hospital,  and they expect me to be there 3 nights. But I have my iPhone, so that will have to do.  But there have not been any delays for tests, surgery or consultations and treatments. So I am thankful for that.

Good to know about the diet during treatments.

I have my 29 year old daughter and husband here with me now.  I am in Ontario, and they came from BC.  They had to self isolate for 14 days at my other daughter’s apartment about 1/2 hour away,  but they came here on Monday, and will be staying during the treatment and recovery. Both have jobs that they can do online anywhere, so I am grateful.  Her husband is a great cook, so is mine, so I have been taken care of well, and have a lot of other support.  Just can’t hug or see some of my support people.  The technologies though have been pretty good to keep in touch, like zoom, and just a good ole phone call. 
58 with Uterine Cancer

Posted by Brighty on May 22, 2020 3:56 pm

From one Catlover‍ to another. . I want to wish you all the best with your surgery .  I'm so glad to hear you have your support system  in place to care for you.   Please update us when you can.    

Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Ttjia on May 23, 2020 4:57 am

Catlover so glad you will have your support system in place maybe not in person but you know they are nearby, 63c36c237add0d9253f22f04d6f6faca-huge-da  To a successful operation and a speedy recovery

Ttjia

Posted by Elsie13 on May 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Catlover‍ , my hysterectomy, in 2016, was 5 hours.  Then I was in the recovery room for 3 hours.  But the recovery part didn't seem long, as I was drifting in and out of sleep. My blood pressure was a bit low, so that's why they kept me in the recovery room a bit longer than usual. 

Posted by Catlover on May 23, 2020 11:11 pm

I have a good cry every day.  It is a good release.  Is this to be expected?
58 with Uterine Cancer

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 24, 2020 12:08 am

Catlover‍  Whether you are going through a cancer diagnosis or treatment,  or struggling with covid-19 restrictions,  a good cry every day is almost a must. I tend to watch sad movies when I need a good cry. It is very therapeutic!  Best wishes on your journey. 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea