Just diagnosed uterine cancer

Re: Just diagnosed uterine cancer

Posted by Birdwoman on Mar 14, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Gramgram‍ I am glad to hear you are doing okay and getting prepared for what is coming. My last CT scan showed 'Bladder and small bowel within the pelvis has some mild mural thickening suggesting some post radiation changes'. I do have to pee a little more often and I have softer stools than before. As for my back and hip, they were probably damaged through years of intensive use by skiing, travelling, kayaking and then carrying logs and water jugs at my cottage after I retired. The doctor at the pain clinic said that radiation does some damage to bone cells, as well as all other cells including the cancer ones, so I think that a bad situation may have been aggravated by the treatments, but not the cause. All of these intensive treatments will have some side effects, but they are saving our lives. We each individually have to decide what we are willing to handle and how much risk we are willing to take. I wish you all the best with your choices and let us know how things are going!
Thanks Runner Girl‍ for your thoughts. I am an admirer of your courage and grace! let's keep on running! (I wish! pretty hard with a cane!! maybe after I get my brand new shiny 2019 hip😉) All the best!

Posted by Gramgram on Mar 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info Birdwoman. Keeping my mind open to it all for now. Wow it must be hard on you after leading such an active life. I bet once you get your new hip there will be no keeping you down. I hope it happens soon for you. I hope it’s ok if I reach out to you after my radiologist appt. Again thank you for your input, it really has helped calm over active brain right now. Gramgram

Posted by sundog on Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Gramgram‍ I just wanted to add some chemo advice. I have just been diagnosed with a recurrence for ovarian cancer (was stage 3c), and I'm dealing with some chemo side effects. If you have a dietician at your clinic, get a referral. I found that my key to keeping energy during chemotherapy is a high protein, high fat, lots of carbs diet. It may be different for you, but you might want to check. I spoke to everyone that my clinic advised me to - dietician, social worker, spiritual. I also have gratefully accepted any help from friends, such as meals. Also, while you are on chemo and radiation, be vigilant that your family (especially grandkids) wash their hands well when visiting you! Your immune system will be suppressed, but I was able to avoid colds by having a strict hand washing policy for my relatives, and not visiting if they were sick. Best wishes. 

Posted by Gramgram on Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks for the advice sundog it's greatly appreciated. I've totally changed my diet and will certainly talk to the nutrionalist. It's hard knowing whether I'm getting enough or the right amounts . I've weathered the first week ok and not trying to worry about the next round til I have to.... I know it's not going to be a fun ride. It has been helpful being on this site. I'm taking your advice re hand washing and have sanitizer at front and back doors. My daughter and family came back from their holidays today by plane and they wanted to stop by but I asked them to wait til tomorrow and she completely understood my peronoia regarding the plane ride. God ... do you ever stop thinking about cancer?!?! I'm trying meditation but not getting very far. Thanks so much for your input and my thoughts and prayers are with you while you too go thru this. Gramgram 

Posted by Elsie13 on Mar 16, 2019 4:37 pm

sundog‍ , So sorry to hear about your recurrence.  What an awful thing!   Are you willing to tell us what happened - how did the doctors find this and when was your original diagnosis? 

Posted by sundog on Mar 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Elsie13‍ my original diagnosis was Summer 2016, stage 3C ovarian cancer. I had 3 rounds of chemo (9 weeks), followed by surgery and 3 more rounds of chemotherapy. The last chemo was Feb. 8, 2017. In January of this year, my rib and back started hurting. I had fallen on the ice, so thought it was that, but my abdomen right up to my rib cage swelled up.  I finally went to emergency 2 weeks later as it was so painful. The emergency doctor told me my cancer had returned, and I was filled with fluid from cancer cells. He was able to contact my oncologist who drained the fluid the next day. What a relief! I started chemo the next week, and have finished two rounds. The oncologists haven't been very positive as they feel the next recurrence will be much closer in time. At this point we don't know how the chemotherapy is going, except that the fluid has not returned. I'm getting a CT scan this Monday. I may qualify for a trial maintenance drug after the chemo, but if I don't have the genetic component, I will not be able to get it. I also had to cancel my bucket list vacation to the Yukon Territories (I live in Ontario), and then I had to put my beloved 7 year old dog down as he was diagnosed with cancer as well. Sigh. It's not been a great start to my year! I am fighting back, trying to stay positive in general, and really going easy on myself this time around. I moved to a smaller house in November, nearer to work, just to prepare in case of a recurrence! I'm using all the supports I can (VON nurse, dietician, social worker), accepting the help of many friends, and still working although I've cut my hours. Oh, and I'm still volunteering at the cancer clinic on the "chemotherapy quality improvement" committee and have been made a member of the Patient and Family Advocate Council! I think that's it with my update! 

Share with your friends: