Hi! Introduction Dan

Hi! Introduction Dan

Posted by Danae on Jun 9, 2020 11:47 pm

Hello, 
I'm new here and hope to find my way in the kinda new reality.
I never thought that I would get cancer, although we often joked about how I might be doomed since from my father's side grandma, the majority had or died from cancer, and from my grandpa from heart disease.
At the beginning of the year I started having some symptoms that would not lead to cancer. Blood work was coming back good. Had some other symptoms that I was worry about but was brushed off since I was passing all the tests and the ER doctors did not worry. To be honest I thought I had a small stroke.
At my last ER visit on March 22nd, with a terrible headache and balance issues, the doctor send me for an CT which came back with a shadow. The same day I was admitted to Hamilton general for a MRI and neurosurgeon exam. They said that it is a Vestibular Schwannoma, very common tumour. I have a history at the same side of a giant blue nevi, mole, and the surgeon asked for biopsy which came back as melanoma! Thanks God, my rest of my body and head is clean. However, because of the time my symptoms started or go strong for my to notice until the surgery only few months passed, and not sure where it came for, it is treated as stage 4 melanoma. The doctor couldn't remove the whole tumour and so far I had cyberknife radiation to start and already started combination immunotherapy.
I have 3 kids, who worry about me, but have been great. Having a 3 generation home is a good support, however, sometimes, I think more because of the covid, it can get busy and overwhelming.
I'm glad that I wake up every morning, even if it is not the best day, I thank God for it and ask everything to go well and be with the kids and family for many years.

Re: Hi! Introduction Dan

Posted by THawk on Jun 10, 2020 7:30 am

Thank you for sharing Dan.  It seems you are on the right path to getting the help you need.  Keep advocating for yourself and I wish you positivity through your journey.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jun 10, 2020 7:47 am

Hi, Dan‍ , thanks for telling us about your story. We have discussions specific to all kinds of cancer, including skin and brain. If you click on the word “discussions” above the blue bar on this screen, it will take you to the discussions home page, and somewhere there you’ll see a list of “cancer types” or “specific cancers.” You can also use the little magnifying glass icon and type in a key word or two. If you’re on a tablet, you can click the “hamburger icon” on the the top right of your screen and a dialogue box will drop down.

If you find a discussion and want to “tag” another member, just put an “@“ symbol right before their name, and again, a drop down will appear. Once they’re linked, their name will turn blue on your screen.

Keep rockin’ that positive attitude!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Minus2 on Jun 10, 2020 8:51 am

Hi Dan‍ , 
I appreciate you sharing your experience and outlook.  The skin cancer discussion pages are pretty quiet in comparison to those for other types of cancer.  Like you, I am grateful for every day, but some days that gratitude comes easier than on others.  I have had two primary diagnoses, 3 years apart, and fortunately each type of cancer was caught early so treatment has been about as non-invasive as cancer treatment can be.  The first was breast cancer , stage 1A, in 2016 and then a nodular melanoma, stage 1B, in January 2020.  Not quite the way I wanted to start the new year, but it is what it is.
For your treatment, I recently watched a documentary about the Dr. that developed immunotherapy for the treatment of metastatic melanoma.  It was so interesting to see that process he followed and the dogged determination he demonstrated in convincing the big drug companies to take the risk of investing in his research.  I don't know much about immunotherapy as a treatment for melanoma, but I do understand there are great successes with it.  Wishing you and your family well as you learn about your diagnoses and manage your treatments.  We only have one at home now and it does keep things anything but static in our house!

Posted by Melanoma on Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi Dan‍ 

Good attitude, stay positive.
I have stage 4 melanoma as well with a brain met and liver tumour among others .
Finished 2 years of pembro last year , tumours for the most part are gone or shrank .Cyber knife on brain met prior 
Had to stop pembro a few times due to side effects 
Still have some speech and balance issues but overall doing ok .
Dont be afraid to reach out for help if you need it .
The Melanoma Network of Canada is a excellent place to start .
Hang in there !