+ Reply
Pancreatic cancer
Hanley72
14 Posts
So I am to start next week on chemo with2 weeks on and two weeks off etc. So can anyone tell me anything about this as I want to know what you have gone thru if you care to share if of course rather than some book or pamphlets say.
I am stage 3 low right now but because my tumour is so close to the main artery than they want to shrink it in hopes of the Whipple surgery so any help or information would be greatly appreciated
6 Replies
ACH2015
2050 Posts

Hi @Hanley72

I saw your post and thought I'd try to give you some information about chemotherapy. There are many types and that means different potential side effects. Do you know what chemo drugs you will be given?

As to the side effects. I had 6 rounds of chemotherapy as part of my treatment for unknown primary cancer - not pancreatic. For me, the effects were cumulative and fatigue and bone and joint pain were the prominent issues. I started to lose my hair after the 2nd round of chemo so I shaved my head to even it out. I know you want to know from someone - not a pamphlet what to expect, and I had a look in the pancreatic cancer forum and did not see anyone that is recent on the site to answer those questions. The link below describes the various chemotherapy drugs that are used for pancreatic cancer. The side effects are included and will give you some information.

https://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-type/pancreatic/treatment/chemotherapy/?region=on

What I can tell you is as I said, side effects can become more severe as the treatments continue. The reason you get a break in between is to allow your body to recover before the next round. Chemo is non selective and kills not only cancer cells, but all cells. The good cells recover quickly and allows for us to continue on with the treatments.

Monitor yourself for fatigue, any nausea, fever and any other potential side effects you encounter. Tell your medical team if you develop issues that worsen and you have difficulty dealing with. For example, nausea can be helped with medications taken before and after the chemo, chemo dosages can be adjusted / stopped / changed if symptoms become too difficult to manage.

Your own monitoring and keeping track is key to managing your treatment and reducing side effects as best you can. Recovery happens like everything else, and we are all going to recover at different rates. Hair grows back, fatigue reduces, and most other side effects subside with time.

I would suggest a proactive approach. Speak with your oncologist about what you can do to prep for chemo. Hydration is very important as is nutrition. Chemotherapy also reduces your immune system - so as with covid 19 precautions, use your mask - wash your hands and make sure those around you practice the same precautions and don't be in direct contact with anyone that is suffering cold / flu etc… You don't need to fight someone else's sickness - right?

So, I hope this helps start you out. I am also going to also tag @Island Girl and @Heartsafire into this post. I found they had undergone chemo for pancreatic and posted in the Treatments and Side Effects forum. Hopefully they will see this post and reply to you.

Keep well

ACH2015

Hanley72
14 Posts
I had hoped that someone would perhaps read what I wrote and give me their experience and or thoughts
My belief in this site is that we share those exact same things that you took the time to write and words cannot express how thankful I am for your words
ACH2015
2050 Posts

Hi @Hanley72

I'm glad my post helped. Sharing here makes a difference for all concerned.

Here is something else that will help you get information directly. When you want to reply to another members post - type the @sign and immediately start typing their name. The name or a list of names will appear as you type. Simply click on the name you want to, and it will turn blue on the screen. This way members see a post waiting for them to reply to.

And I hope the members I tagged reply as well to add some further information. Let us know what you discover about the chemo drugs - and tag me again if I can be of any further assistance.

Keep well

ACH2015

Jessieleah
4 Posts

Hi @Hanley72 I am in the same boat as you. I will be starting chemo next week for the first time, same regiment every 2 weeks with the hopes it will shrink tumour around some major arteries/veins before doing surgery. Thank you for asking your question and my thoughts are with you.

Jessieleah
4 Posts

Thank you for all your info @ACH2015

ACH2015
2050 Posts

Hi @Jessieleah

Glad my post helped you as well.

All the best to you with your treatments.👍

Keep well

ACH2015

+ Reply