Newly-diagnosed with Prostate Cancer Stage 4 and Bone Cancer Stage 4

Newly-diagnosed with Prostate Cancer Stage 4 and Bone Cancer Stage 4

Posted by Cooker47 on Jul 2, 2020 6:26 pm

I was diagnosed in hospital with Prostate Cancer Stage 4 and Bone Cancer Stage 4.
Having gotten released the next thing is an appointment for a biopsy on my prostate.
It seems odd to go directly to a biopsy:
- is this normal?
- why can't we talk about the options first?
I also have these questions if somebody could answer them:
- does the biopsy hurt and are there any lasting after-effects?
- what if I don't have the biopsy? what happens?

Thank you,

Re: Newly-diagnosed with Prostate Cancer Stage 4 and Bone Cancer Stage 4

Posted by Brighty on Jul 2, 2020 7:16 pm

Cooker47‍  nice to meet you.   Sorry for your diagnosis.    I'm going to tag some guys who can help you and answer you questions.  WesT‍ 
Roy L.‍     Bills10‍ 
Jackwb‍  and @Mr.fido 

Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Bills10 on Jul 2, 2020 8:11 pm

IMO if the Dr. recommends a biopsy It is probably a good idea to go ahead with it. The biopsy is uncomfortable, but in my case I wouldn't say it hurt. There were no after affects for me. A biopsy is done to get a pathology report and further define the status of your cancer. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 2, 2020 9:09 pm

Cooker47

What tests did you have that led to your diagnosis? A biopsy is often part of the diagnostic process. Did others have a biopsy before being diagnosed? 

Is is prostate cancer that spread to your bones or a separate diagnosis of bone cancer? 

I'm glad you reached out to connect with folks here. It can be so helpful to hear from others who have been there. 

Lacey

Posted by Cooker47 on Jul 2, 2020 11:38 pm

Hi Lacey, and thanks for your reply.

I was in hospital with Flash Pulmonary Edema; the doctors found my kidney function was impaired and during the search of my lower abdomen they did a CTC scan and found the prostate and bone problems at the same time. That's when I was told. A full body CTC scan thereafter confirmed the bone cancer is all over.

So, the two cancers are apparently connected, starting with the prostate.

No other tests before or after the diagnosis.

I hope I answered your questions.

Mike

Posted by WesT on Jul 3, 2020 6:50 am

Cooker47‍ sorry to hear of you issues.

Jumping straight to the biopsy is good, they are getting right on top of it.

There is some "discomfort" involved in the biopsy for sure but it isn't too bad.  There are no lasting effects but there are some short term effects.  You will likely have a lot of blood in your next bowel movement, a disturbing amount, but in a day or so that will go away.  If you are sexually active there will also be a disturbing amount of blood in your ejaculation that will take two weeks or so to totally disappear.  At first it is blood red then turns to a brown colour.  There is also some discomfort ejaculating for a few days as well but as long as you know that will be the case is isn't bad.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jul 3, 2020 8:30 am

Cooker47

Good to hear back from you. Thank you for the additional info. It sounds like it's prostate cancer that spread to your bones rather than two separate cancers. 

Have you considered calling the doc and asking what additional info the biospy will give them? All questions are worth asking. Maybe the biopsy will provide additional info on the type of prostate cancer? and the grade of the cancer? Additional info could help plan your treatment. 

Id like to introduce you to MrFido‍ 

Let us know what you find out. 

Lacey

Posted by edap on Jul 3, 2020 9:55 am

Hello Cooker47‍.

A prostate biopsy is only as good as the quality of the core samples that are taken. An MRI-guided biopsy would assure you of getting the best possible diagnosis for staging and treating the disease. Not sure whether that procedure is available where you are.

Thanks for reaching out and all the best. 

Ed

Posted by Roy L. on Jul 3, 2020 12:32 pm

With PCa a biopsy is one of the first steps taken.  It is very important to determine the next step in treatment.  I had no issues with my biopsy, it was uncomfortable but for me painless.  some blood in urine and stool for a day or so.  I am the type of person who jokes to get through things so when he said he was changing sides I said "great, half time".

Best of luck to you!

Posted by edap on Jul 3, 2020 1:07 pm

Cooker47

Did you have any boney pain or urinary problems prior to your diagnosis to alert you to any possible prostate issues? How was your PSA? Have you been prescribed any type of oral medication or injection therapy type of treatment? 

Posted by Cooker47 on Jul 3, 2020 4:35 pm

No bone pain at all (before or after diagnosis); slight problems peeing when sitting on the loo starting a few weeks earlier.
PSA is now high but previously hadn't been measured in several years.
It's no longer one of the standard tests in Canada, or at least in Manitoba where I live, I understand.
I've not been prescribed anything for either cancer yet.

Posted by Charles on Jul 4, 2020 1:58 pm

FWIW --

i suspect that the reason the docs want a biopsy, is to distinguish between:

. . . you have prostate cancer which has metastasized to your bones, or

. . . you have prostate cancer, and independently-developed bone cancer.

Those two situations have different treatment plans -- so they really need to know what _your_ situation is.

Knowing your PSA would give us (and them) a clue about that, but (if I were a doc) I'd probably ask for two biopsies --

. . . one of the prostate (a standard ultrasound-driven "TRUS" biopsy would do),

. . . and one of your bone tumors.

.      Charles (without letters after my name, and this is not medical advice)

PS -- this is one of the situations where "Will it hurt?" is irrelevant.  Yes, it'll hurt some (it varies, man-to-man, and depending on how good the local anaesthesia is),  You need the procedure.

Posted by Jackwb on Jul 4, 2020 2:17 pm

An old friend of mine is in the same boat. He was diagnosed with a rare non-PSA producing prostate cancer which has metastasized to distant parts of his body, Stage 4, after undergoing a TURP because he couldn't pee. He was radiated about a year ago, his oncologist tells him that there is no effective treatment for this type of cancer but his urologist is keeping him on both Casodex and Lupron for anther year in hopes of slowing it down (it's not working). He has had some scans and yesterday he had a PET scan...he gets his results next week. When diagnosed he was told that the prognosis is not good but he's coping sort of well.

Posted by Cooker47 on Jul 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far.
I had the biopsy scheduled for July 20th but my doctor was away on holiday.
On the Saturday I read the warnings that come with the antibiotic to be taken around the procedure, and they are terrifying:
- Warning of possible permanent tendonitis as a side effect
There were other contraindications:
- in the cases of: diabetes, kidney disease, depression, heart problems, high blood pressure/hypertension, all of which I have or have had
- contraindication in case of low blood potassium which I had in hospital
- contraindication as taking steroids in a cream used for psoriasis 
I cancelled the procedure and I have tentatively rescheduled it, giving me a chance to talk to my doctor.
I am still in two minds about doing the procedure. I haven't tried to talk to the urologist yet. 

Posted by Jackwb on Jul 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Cooker47:

I cancelled the procedure and I have tentatively rescheduled it, giving me a chance to talk to my doctor.
I am still in two minds about doing the procedure. I haven't tried to talk to the urologist yet. 

Nonono...with cancer time is not your friend, do not cancel the biopsy. Seriously.

The antibiotic is no issue, yes, it's a powerful one used to treat bladder infections but you get only three pills. You take one the day before the procedure, one the day of, one the day after...no big deal. I too have diabetes and am being treated for high BP but three pills made no difference.

As an aside, I too tried to postpone my biopsy two times as I was leaving for the winter and would do it when I returned in the spring. Everyone called...my urologist, his RN, my family doctor, his nurse, the nurse at the clinic, and the hospital...all telling me that I may have "a life threatening disease" and that it had to be done. I did it, pathology came back positive, but I postponed the surgery for three months (they put me on Casodex and Lupron which is another story).

Do the biopsy...

Posted by Bills10 on Jul 23, 2020 12:07 pm

This is very serious stuff, do not cancel the biopsy!  The Dr. can gleen a lot of useful information for a path forward from the pathology report. It's relatively painless and recover went well for me. All medications have "potential" side effects and it is their responsibility to make you aware of them. Good luck!

Posted by Bills10 on Jul 23, 2020 12:10 pm

Were you concerned about medical coverage when you were away? Most policies have a 90 day stability clause for pre-existing conditions. 

Posted by Jackwb on Jul 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Bills10:
Were you concerned about medical coverage when you were away? Most policies have a 90 day stability clause for pre-existing conditions. 

At the time I had insurance with CAA which excluded coverage for all pre-existing conditions...my cancer was diagnosed one week before we left so we had no time to make any changes. Essentially I was covered only if I got shot or got hit by a car (happens a lot in Florida)

The following year CAA said that I was uninsurable so I switched to Blue Cross which covered all pre-existing conditions (except the cancer) if they were stable six months prior to departure...and the plan was half the price of CAA. Blue Cross is now issuing plans with COVID-19 coverage and I'm waiting for a quote...however it looks like we're staying home this year.

Posted by Roy L. on Aug 4, 2020 8:40 am

Sorry I am late getting my thoughts to you.  A bit of background on me, at 53 I was diagnosed with advanced PCa with mets to my femur and hip bones.  My PSA was 442 and I had a tumour the size of  baseball (11 cms).  I have been type 1 diabetic for 48 years, have neuropathy, high blood pressure and asthma.  Once diagnosed I was sent for biopsy, this is a very important step in you diagnosis.  They gain so much information.  I found it to be a fairly easy procedure.  They used a numbing cream and I tried to joke through the whole thing.  If your nervous it may make it worse, try to relax.  After the biopsy, CT and bone scan I got the great news.  Not what I expected.

so in March 2019 I started on Firmagon shots once a month then changed to Lupron every 3 months and radiation.  Also taking Zytiga.   My last PSA was 0.12, my tumour is aprox 5cms now and my hip and femur feel pretty good.

I have been on this journey now for almost 18 months.  Doing ok and I have learned alot.  I want to help all men by getting the word out to get tested and to help anyone who needs it.  If you wish to chat, please feel free to let me know.  I am here to help.

Regards,

Roy