Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Posted by Elsie13 on Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Hello again, Barney‍ . We are in Discussions/ Cancer types/ Prostate.  I will copy your 'About Me' - hope that's OK. 

"I live in a city south western Ontario. I am a 94 year old male. I have prostate cancer that is being treated and is under control." Barney. 

Do you want to tell a little more of your story?  Did you have surgery, radiation?

WesT‍ , Keikosdad‍ and MrFido‍ had prostate cancer, so perhaps they will say hello.
Barney, click the yellow reply button, if you want to post something. 

In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Re: Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Posted by WesT on Feb 13, 2020 9:26 am

Hi Barney‍ Sorry to here of your cancer

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer at 54 in 2018 and opted for surgery...

Here is my story....
https://cancerconnection.ca/reviews/item/21/169

Posted by Barney on Feb 13, 2020 9:48 am

This is Barney again with a bit more about me and my prostate cancer. I was diagnosed lin November 2019 when my family doctor sent me to a urologist after I complained about urinary difficulty. The urologist prescribed Bicalutamide to reduce testosterone and shrink the prostate. This helped to diminish the symptoms.Then  I was sent for cystoscopy, bone scan and eventually a prostate biopsy, all of which confirmed a diagnosis of prostate cancer with some pelvic bone involvement. Because of my age (94) I opted for a course of treatment that would provide quality of life rather than quantity, (i.e.hormone therapy).. I began with Lupron by injection, at four month intervals, and soon will begin taking  Abiraterone daily by mouth plus prednisone. I am already taking calcium and vitamin D3 to counteract bone loss. What a lot of pills!  But surely better than the alternative.. So far I have no noticeable side effects other than a slight recurrence of the urinary difficulty that started it all, but thankfully no discomfort to speak of.

To make long story shorter, I am maintaining a positive attitude with little reason to feel depressed or anxious. If I could give anyone advice (which I rarely do) I would say that keeping active and taking things one day at a time makes it easier to deal with what comes one's way.

Barney

Posted by WesT on Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

Barney‍ Well said, a positive attitude goes a long way and moving ahead one day at a time is a great plan!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Barney‍ 
You are exactly on the Course that I take
Quality of Life not Quantity 
One Day at a Time
I am 72 pushing 73 
I am a Cancer Survivor (Non Hogdkins Lymphoma)
I have a mass on my Kidney
I have been Diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis 
I have always liked the singer Doris Day
Her song  "Whatever Will Be, Will Be"  rings true with me today. 
We lived our past, we live today and we don't worry about tomorrow.
I wish you all the Best with your treatments
Speedystill