Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Posted by Elsie13 on Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Hello again, Barney‍ . We are in Discussions/ Cancer types/ Prostate.  I will copy your 'About Me' - hope that's OK. 

"I live in a city south western Ontario. I am a 94 year old male. I have prostate cancer that is being treated and is under control." Barney. 

Do you want to tell a little more of your story?  Did you have surgery, radiation?

WesT‍ , Keikosdad‍ and MrFido‍ had prostate cancer, so perhaps they will say hello.
Barney, click the yellow reply button, if you want to post something. 

In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Re: Hello Barney, this is the prostate section.

Posted by WesT on Feb 13, 2020 9:26 am

Hi Barney‍ Sorry to here of your cancer

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer at 54 in 2018 and opted for surgery...

Here is my story....
https://cancerconnection.ca/reviews/item/21/169

Posted by Barney on Feb 13, 2020 9:48 am

This is Barney again with a bit more about me and my prostate cancer. I was diagnosed lin November 2019 when my family doctor sent me to a urologist after I complained about urinary difficulty. The urologist prescribed Bicalutamide to reduce testosterone and shrink the prostate. This helped to diminish the symptoms.Then  I was sent for cystoscopy, bone scan and eventually a prostate biopsy, all of which confirmed a diagnosis of prostate cancer with some pelvic bone involvement. Because of my age (94) I opted for a course of treatment that would provide quality of life rather than quantity, (i.e.hormone therapy).. I began with Lupron by injection, at four month intervals, and soon will begin taking  Abiraterone daily by mouth plus prednisone. I am already taking calcium and vitamin D3 to counteract bone loss. What a lot of pills!  But surely better than the alternative.. So far I have no noticeable side effects other than a slight recurrence of the urinary difficulty that started it all, but thankfully no discomfort to speak of.

To make long story shorter, I am maintaining a positive attitude with little reason to feel depressed or anxious. If I could give anyone advice (which I rarely do) I would say that keeping active and taking things one day at a time makes it easier to deal with what comes one's way.

Barney

Posted by WesT on Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am

Barney‍ Well said, a positive attitude goes a long way and moving ahead one day at a time is a great plan!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

Barney‍ 
You are exactly on the Course that I take
Quality of Life not Quantity 
One Day at a Time
I am 72 pushing 73 
I am a Cancer Survivor (Non Hogdkins Lymphoma)
I have a mass on my Kidney
I have been Diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis 
I have always liked the singer Doris Day
Her song  "Whatever Will Be, Will Be"  rings true with me today. 
We lived our past, we live today and we don't worry about tomorrow.
I wish you all the Best with your treatments
Speedystill 

Symptoms.

Posted by Barney on Mar 7, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello all; this is Barney. The Covid 19 epidemic (possible pandemic ?) has made me think about the chances of confusing symptoms of virus infection with side effects of treatment medications. At this point, and thinking of my own situation, I believe that the chance of this kind of mix up is very small. From what I have read about Covid 19, the main symptoms are high fever (up to 104 F) and a dry cough. On the other hand the possible side effects of my medications (Lupron, Zytiga and Prednisone) are mainly fatigue, hot flashes (not the same as fever), nausea, and high cholesterol -  combining them all as one. In other words there is practically no apparent similarity.. Of course I remind myself that I am a lay person with limited knowledge except for what I see in the media, and what I find in the fact sheets for my meds. I do not pretend that my symptoms and side effects should be taken as a guide for others who may be undergoing cancer treatment. However I would urge such folk to study pertinent literature about their own particular cases, and look at available sources for information about Covid 19. It should be possible, I think, to distinguish between symptoms of virus infection and side effects of medications. Incidentally I have had no noticeable side effects from my meds, although, if I should have them, some might be similar to those of advancing age. Now that is a situation for possible confusion but it.s another story. 
Barney

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 8, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi, Barney‍ , you raise some very valid observations!  I feel this is a situation where erring on the side of caution is a best practice. 

My Dad is a prostate cancer survivor (18 years ago) who now has lung cancer. I wasn’t as familiar with his medications back then as I am now, but Lupron sounds familiar, and I remember him having hot flashes.

Dad is now in chemotherapy for his lung cancer, and as such, his immune system is compromised. His oncologist has told him to watch for any spike in temperature, and get to emergency if his temp increases. From what I’ve heard about COVID19, people who experience a spike in fever should also seek medical attention quickly!

If you’re going to be in touch with your medical team in the next few days or weeks, it would be most appropriate to have a discussion with them about your concerns. You might want to ask them more about any symptoms your meds would produce that would be similar, and ask their recommendations with regard to next steps.

I’m my Dad’s caregiver, and under the current situation with this new virus, I think it’s appropriate for everyone who has an immuno-compromised person in their life to take added precautions. For example, I’ve just returned from a vacation, one that involved a cruise ship, a world-famous zoo, and several flights. So, just to be on the safe side, I’m choosing to “avoid” my Dad for the next couple weeks. I’m also planning to avoid some of my groups, especially the one with the leukaemia patient in it. I’m not isolating completely: after all, I needed groceries when I got home, but I am being as diligent as I can. It’s only for a couple of weeks, unless by some teensy statistic, something develops, and if it were to, wouldn’t I be glad that I avoided my Dad!

Perhaps I’m being overcautious, but this is what “erring on the side of caution” means to me. Thanks for raising the topic!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Jackwb on Mar 9, 2020 8:32 am

Hi,

Very wise to be taking precautions and I should add that we're advised in Florida that if you need medical attention to call ahead, let them know so that they can take precautions before you arrive. Fortunately I'm in Daytona Beach where the virus does not exist. This is Trump country and after he called it a Democratic hoax many people think that it's just another way of taking the president down. ( but we have 22 cases, 2 deaths...one case was confirmed in my county last week)

Unfortunately I'm in Daytona Beach where it's very difficult to avoid crowds, this week is Bike Week and with Spring Break factored in we have over 600,000 people from all over the world in town.

And at 69, with my diabetes and BP, both underlying conditions, I'm doomed.