Prostate Cancer

Re: Prostate Cancer

Posted by Brighty on Jul 15, 2019 9:55 am

Sooo happy for you Nervous Nelly‍! !!

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Nervous Nelly‍ 
This is great news. I am sure that everyone has benefited from you and your husbands journey. He is now a cancer survivor.
All the Best,
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Nervous Nelly on Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Thank you everyone. You are all right, living positively is best. Its just hard to do when you face the unknown every six months now for life. I am very elated that he is cancer free, and pray it stays that way for sure...its just so stressful watching the one person in the whole world that you couldn't live without, scared all the time. He's almost as bad as me, as we both worry a lot. Going to try super hard to focus on the summer and Christmas and not worry till the new year, as I would be lying if I said I won't worry then. I loved hearing all your stores, its nice to know that everyone is so very compassionate, as its hard to open up about such personal feelings. It really honestly is a blessing to be able to share with all of you. Family is great if I feel like crying, but sometimes you need advise and a dose of reality...and you have all been amazing. Thank you.

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Nervous Nelly
Your husband is a cancer survivor. Going forward this is his title. There are no guarantees in life for any of us. So do your best to put the worry on the back burner and enjoy the gift of life that you and your husband have been given.
I wish you and your husband all the best,
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Bills10 on Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi All,

I had my surgery May 1 and my checkup on July  11th my PSA was .008. My Gleason score however changed from 3+4 to 4+3, category 3.  My urologist said all went well, he commented however it was life threatening, I never thought of it in those terms before. I asked about recurrence and he estimated there was about a 25% probability it would come back. I don’t get too obsessed with it, my wife and I discuss it occasionally, but plan to take it one step at a time. My next appointment is January 12th.  Does anyone have any experience with travel insurance, I’m curious if cancer affects your ability to get travel insurance?
The most annoying part of the whole thing is the incontinence. I’m trying to keep ahead of it as much as possible but there is still some inconvenient leakage.  
I been to a pelvic muscle physiotherapist twice and she has been helpful. I have another follow up with her next week. 

Regards,

Bill

Posted by WesT on Jul 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Bills10‍ Interesting question about the travel insurance.  You may want to inquire anonymously about that before starting the official process.  I can't see there being an issue but it is an insurance company and they may feel differently.

25% seems a little on the high side for recurrence but it is cancer we are talking about and the urologist would likely have some experience with recurrences in people with a similar history to yours so....  I do know my uncle had surgery and was given the all clear and his PSAs started to elevate again about a year after surgery so there definitely is a chance, but 25% does seem high.  Someone pointed out a web site that you could enter specifics and get statistics about potential success rates.  It was also covered in Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer - Fourth Edition
by Patrick C. Walsh, Janet Farrar Worthington
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/dr-patrick-walshs-guide-to/9781538727478-item.html?ikwid=Dr.+Patrick+Walsh&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0

Keep working on your Kegels or whatever your therapist suggested and the leakage should slowly get better...

Posted by Jackwb on Jul 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Bills10:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with travel insurance, I’m curious if cancer affects your ability to get travel insurance?
The most annoying part of the whole thing is the incontinence. I’m trying to keep ahead of it as much as possible but there is still some inconvenient leakage.  
I been to a pelvic muscle physiotherapist twice and she has been helpful. I have another follow up with her next week. 

Regards,

Bill

Hi,

Just a quick recap of some of my earlier posts. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on Thursday, December 21, 2017 (PSA 9.0, Gleason 7 (4+3), Stage 2Tb), a significant date because that Friday everyone shut down until the new year. We were scheduled to leave for the winter in Florida on December 28'th and had already purchased our travel insurance for that year. Rather than stay for the surgery I was put on a 6 month shot of Lupron and surgery was scheduled for April 10, 2018.

We made plans to return to Florida for the winter and I was put in touch with Securiglobe https://www.securiglobe.com/en/ in June 2018 and obtained an excellent policy at a great price, about half of what I paid before the cancer. It also covered pre-existing conditions like my high BP and diabetes (not the cancer) if they were stable for 6 months before departure. I'm having more surgery in three weeks and have already bought the same policy for next year.

On the other hand my cousin had prostate cancer 10 years ago and after radiation he was cancer free but was diagnosed with bladder cancer last Friday. He spends about 8 months a year traveling the world but has now been declared uninsurable. He may travel naked after treatment.

And an old friend who is also a snowbird was recently diagnosed with very rare form of advanced, aggressive prostate cancer, Stage D2, is starting radiation this week and is also uninsurable because it has spread everywhere. He's been given a 30% chance of surviving 5 years after treatment.

Just a long way of saying that each case is unique...give Securiglobe a call, if you can get insurance they'll find the best policy.

About the leakage...did you Kegel before the surgery? Because I postponed my surgery for 3.5 months I Kegelled all the time and was able hold one for 15 seconds, longer if I remembered to breathe. My problem was that after my catheter was pulled I as unable to pee and needed to be cathetered for 2 more weeks (bladder infection). After that I needed a pad for only about 6 days, out of a pack of 52 pads, I used about 40, the rest I used to polish the cars.

For me the most annoying thing is the terminal ED, but we've learned to work around it.

Hang in there, only sunshine ahead. 

Posted by Charles on Jul 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Bills10 --

FWIW --

1.  I get travel insurance from BCAA (the CAA "branch" in British Columbia).   My premiums didn't go up as a result of prostate cancer treatment.

I bet that you can get a quote, based on medical history, before committing to purchase.  _Don't omit anything_ -- the policies are very explicit about what happens to people who don't list all pre-existing conditions.

2.  The website that will give you some information about recurrence rates:

https://mskcc.org/nomograms/prostate

There are "pre-treatment" and "post-treatment" calculators.  Two of the critical factors:

. . . Was the tumor "organ-confined" ?

. . . Did you have "negative surgical margins" -- that is, was there any tumor cells at the surface of the removed prostate ?

Put in your own information, and see what pops up.  

As I understand it:

For prostate cancer, "life-threatening" _usually_ doesn't mean that it's likely to kill you quickly.  It means that -- if you don't treat it -- it might kill you before you die of something else.  

Stay in touch, please.  Post-surgical problems are more common than the docs admit.

.     Charles

Posted by Jackwb on Jul 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Charles:
Bills10 --

FWIW --

1.  I get travel insurance from BCAA (the CAA "branch" in British Columbia).   My premiums didn't go up as a result of prostate cancer treatment.

I bet that you can get a quote, based on medical history, before committing to purchase.  _Don't omit anything_ -- the policies are very explicit about what happens to people who don't list all pre-existing conditions.

For 10 years I bought travel insurance through CAA with only my diabetes and high BP as pre-existing conditions. One med for the diabetes, two for the BP. CAA would not issue a new policy until one year after surgery so I went to Securiglobe which offered me a choice of three underwriters. I went with Blue Cross as they threw in a revolving 30 day travel policy good for one year. Essentially, I travel to the U.S. for 30 days, come home for 1 day then I can go back for anther 30 days...I can do this for one year.

But this surprised me...the premium was about half of the CAA policy, and that was with my new cancer and treatment. My wife is on a puffer and CAA charged her about $950 for three months, Blue Cross...$350 for better coverage.

So I asked my insurance guy why the difference. One factor may be that CAA gets a commission for every premium $ they bring in, so that's added to your cost. CAA does not underwrite their policies, they just sell another company's and get paid for it. (they pimp out their members to make money). Other factors may include the age and health of their members...Blue Cross gets younger, healthier travelers to cost average their claims. Most insurance companies operate on a 20% profit margin.